IQ Question Thread

Bonus question:

Using a balancing weight scale with 2 pans of eqaul weight on each side, what is the minimum number of weights (each being in 1 pound increments, so you could have 2 one pound weights, 1 three pound weight, etc.) you would need to bring into balance individual objects (not more than 1 of these objects is in your possession at any given time) that weigh anywhere from 1 to 12 pounds, in 1 pound increments? Which weights would you need (i.e. how many 1 pound weights, 2 pound weights, etc.)?

Comrade said:
I was going to also say milk jugs, hehe...

There is a scale with two weights on it:

~~~~~~~X~~~~X~~~~~~~~
^^^^^^^^^^V^^^^^^^^^^

The weight on the left is 10 pounds, the weight on the right is 5 pounds.

You also have a 4 pound weight. You place this on scale and it balances. Redraw the above with your 4 pound weight included.

~~~~~~~X~~~~X~~~~~4~~
^^^^^^^^^^V^^^^^^^^^^

????????????????????????????????

Comrade said:
Bonus question:

Using a balancing weight scale with 2 pans of eqaul weight on each side, what is the minimum number of weights (each being in 1 pound increments, so you could have 2 one pound weights, 1 three pound weight, etc.) you would need to bring into balance individual objects (not more than 1 of these objects is in your possession at any given time) that weigh anywhere from 1 to 12 pounds, in 1 pound increments? Which weights would you need (i.e. how many 1 pound weights, 2 pound weights, etc.)?
Hell, I am too stupid to even understand the question, much less answer it! :laugh:

no1tovote4 said:
~~~~~~~X~~~~X~~~~~4~~
^^^^^^^^^^V^^^^^^^^^^

????????????????????????????????

Nope. Theres a multiplicative relationship between weight and distance from the lever for determining the answer.

freeandfun1 said:
Hell, I am too stupid to even understand the question, much less answer it! :laugh:

Well basically you have a block of wood, and you don't know how much it weighs, only that it's somewhere between 1-12 pounds. You want to use the LEAST number of weights to balance this block on a scale, without knowing first how much it weighed. You could obviously use 12 weights, a 1, 2, 3, 4 ... pounder, and you'd be sure to balance it. But you want to use the least number of weights.

For example, with a one and three pound wieght, you could balance the block if it weighed 1, 2, 3, or four pounds. You'd balance a two pound block by putting the 1 pounder with it, and the 3 pounder on the opposite side.

Does that make more sense?

Comrade said:
Well basically you have a block of wood, and you don't know how much it weighs, only that it's somewhere between 1-12 pounds. You want to use the LEAST number of weights to balance this block on a scale, without knowing first how much it weighed. You could obviously use 12 weights, a 1, 2, 3, 4 ... pounder, and you'd be sure to balance it. But you want to use the least number of weights.

For example, with a one and three pound wieght, you could balance the block if it weighed 1, 2, 3, or four pounds. You'd balance a two pound block by putting the 1 pounder with it, and the 3 pounder on the opposite side.

No.

Comrade said:
I was going to also say milk jugs, hehe...

There is a scale with two weights on it:

~~~~~~~X~~~~X~~~~~~~~
^^^^^^^^^^V^^^^^^^^^^

The weight on the left is 10 pounds, the weight on the right is 5 pounds.

You also have a 4 pound weight. You place this on scale and it balances. Redraw the above with your 4 pound weight included.

Could it be

~~~~~~~X~~~~X~~4~~~~~
^^^^^^^^^^V^^^^^^^^^^

Based on the left side having 10X3 or 30 and the right side having (5X2) + (4X5) which also equals 30

Comrade said:

4 weights, 1,3 5,and 7

MissileMan said:
Could it be

~~~~~~~X~~~~X~~4~~~~~
^^^^^^^^^^V^^^^^^^^^^

Based on the left side having 10X3 or 30 and the right side having (5X2) + (4X5) which also equals 30

We have a winner! :thup:

MissileMan said:
4 weights, 1,3 5,and 7

Close... you can do it with three weights. There are a few three weight solutions, and one of them is 1, 3, and 8.

Your question, MissileMan.

Comrade said:
Close... you can do it with three weights. There are a few three weight solutions, and one of them is 1, 3, and 8.

Your question, MissileMan.

Pass, someone else jump in with one!

Try this one in Missleman's absence.

How quickly can you find out what is unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing was wrong with it at all, and in fact, nothing is. But it is unusual. Why? If you study it and think about it you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in any way. You must do it without coaching. No doubt if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. I don't know. Now, go to work and try your luck.

Said1 said:
Try this one in Missleman's absence.

How quickly can you find out what is unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing was wrong with it at all, and in fact, nothing is. But it is unusual. Why? If you study it and think about it you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in any way. You must do it without coaching. No doubt if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. I don't know. Now, go to work and try your luck.

Too "E"z ! :D

Forum List

Back