IQ Question Thread

gop_jeff said:
A man is hiking up a snowy mountain, he comes across a cabin. Inside the cabin is a small fire and two dead men. How did they die? (They did not burn to death.)

(Note: I won't be on again until tomorrow. If you get this, just go ahead and post another question)
They died of old age....

Comrade said:
Not of thirst... they had plenty of snow to melt, and not of starvation or disease, since they had the energy to build and tend to a fire in the first place.

So I say they died of either smoke inhalation, or oxygen deprivation, or a combination of the two, due to the fire consuming all the oxygen in the low pressure atmosphere, within an enclosed space.

Good job! :thup:

Comrade said:
This is both an IQ and a history question.

DCCLIII

What does it mean? What is its significance?

In Roman Numerals it is 753.

This would be the year of Christ's Birth in the old Roman Calendar. This would be 1 AD in today's current calendar.

The Romans referred their calendar to the date they attributed to the creation of the city of Rome. If Christ was born in 1 AD, then Christ was born in the year DCCLIII.

no1tovote4 said:
In Roman Numerals it is 753.

This would be the year of Christ's Birth in the old Roman Calendar. This would be 1 AD in today's current calendar.

The Romans referred their calendar to the date they attributed to the creation of the city of Rome. If Christ was born in 1 AD, then Christ was born in the year DCCLIII.

Good job. Keep the questions coming!

You have been blindfolded and are drawing socks from a drawer one at a time. In the drawer there are 12 red socks, 11 white socks, 10 black socks, and 9 blue socks. How many socks must you draw to be sure you have all of at least one of the colors?

no1tovote4 said:
You have been blindfolded and are drawing socks from a drawer one at a time. In the drawer there are 12 red socks, 11 white socks, 10 black socks, and 9 blue socks. How many socks must you draw to be sure you have all of at least one of the colors?

Comrade said:
I concur. Go ahead and ask another one, you have some real zingers, and I keep missing my chance to answer them.

I don't have one atm....someone else throw one out

gop_jeff said:
I disagree. I say 34. It is possible to draw all 12 red socks, 11 white socks, 10 black socks, for a total of 33, without drawing a blue one. But sock #34 would then be blue.

You're misreading the question. How many do you have to pull to be guaranteed to have all of at least one color?

You can have 11 red, 10 white, 9 black, and 8 blue for a total of 38 where you are missing one of each color. The 39th sock would complete any of the four colors.

You are given a 10x10x10 cube composed of 1x1x1 "mini-cubes" glued together. If the outer most layer falls off, how many "mini-cubes" would have fallen off?

I solved this by counting one opposing set of sides as 10*10*2 = 200. Leaving 4 remaining sides counted by 9*8*4=288. But I could be wrong.

I am that which is hunted, and this stones me. Do you dig? What am I?

Difficulty level: High.

Google searching activated.

MissileMan said:
You're misreading the question. How many do you have to pull to be guaranteed to have all of at least one color?

You can have 11 red, 10 white, 9 black, and 8 blue for a total of 38 where you are missing one of each color. The 39th sock would complete any of the four colors.

Got it. Good question!

Forum List

Back