Debate Now Illegals and Social Security. Good thing? Bad thing?

The Social Security Administration is legally barred from sharing information with immigration or law enforcement agencies, or from telling the rightful owner of a Social Security number that someone else is working under their number, said Mark Hinkle, a spokesman.

Can it get more stupid than this? Or do dems and big business want it this way?
Then why does my company get notified by the irs if someone uses an incorrect number?

The IRS and SSA are not law enforcement agencies. They need to exchange information to ensure that payments and taxes are completed correctly. If someone provides your company with an invalid SSN the IRS would not be able to calculate the taxes due and credit the appropriate SSA account.

I believe the IRS as a law enforcement agency has at least as much power as the FBI.
Internal Revenue Manual - 9.1.2 Authority

And the SSA also has its own gun carrying investigation and enforcement division with full authority to arrest and prosecute:
Social Security s OIG Responds to Concerns over Ammunition Procurement Office of the Inspector General SSA

The scope of the FBI is way broader than the IRS. The FBI's scope encompasses kidnapping, exploitation of minors and counter intelligence to name just a few examples. None of those would fall under the IRS.

I said nothing about scope of either agency either. I said they have equal power to investigate, arrest, and prosecute within their scope of assignment.

And the IRS scope is huge as the IRS is charged with compliance of the tax laws which involve many tens of thousands of pages of rules and regulations touching on most aspects of our lives, and also incidents of money laundering (which using an invalid SSN would be) and Bank Secrecy Act laws that also cover a very broad spectrum. And Obamacare also made the IRS the enforcer of compliance with that monstrosity of a law that also covers a very broad spectrum.

The Social Security Administration is legally barred from sharing information with immigration or law enforcement agencies, or from telling the rightful owner of a Social Security number that someone else is working under their number, said Mark Hinkle, a spokesman.

Can it get more stupid than this? Or do dems and big business want it this way?
Then why does my company get notified by the irs if someone uses an incorrect number?

The IRS and SSA are not law enforcement agencies. They need to exchange information to ensure that payments and taxes are completed correctly. If someone provides your company with an invalid SSN the IRS would not be able to calculate the taxes due and credit the appropriate SSA account.

I believe the IRS as a law enforcement agency has at least as much power as the FBI.

And the SSA also has its own gun carrying investigation and enforcement division with full authority to arrest and prosecute:
Social Security s OIG Responds to Concerns over Ammunition Procurement Office of the Inspector General SSA

The scope of the FBI is way broader than the IRS. The FBI's scope encompasses kidnapping, exploitation of minors and counter intelligence to name just a few examples. None of those would fall under the IRS.

I said nothing about scope of either agency either. I said they have equal power to investigate, arrest, and prosecute within their scope of assignment.

And the IRS scope is huge as the IRS is charged with compliance of the tax laws which involve many tens of thousands of pages of rules and regulations touching on most aspects of our lives, and also incidences of money laundering and Bank Secrecy Act laws that also cover a very broad spectrum. And Obamacare also made the IRS the enforcer of compliance with that monstrosity of a law that also covers a very broad spectrum.

My statement stands in the context to which I responded. (I refuse to allow myself to be falsely accused of "derailing the thread" when I was only making a statement of fact). The mission of the IRS is to collect taxes and the SSA to administer social security.

If the OP wants to rant about Obama and the IRS then I will have nothing further to say in a thread about Social Security and illegal workers.

Criminal Enforcement

The IRS criminal enforcement is highly focused.

Criminal Investigation (CI) At-a-Glance
Criminal Investigation (CI) serves the American public by investigating potential criminal violations of the Internal Revenue Code and related financial crimes in a manner that fosters confidence in the tax system and compliance with the law.

What Criminal Investigation Does
Some people bend the tax law -- others break it. Criminal Investigation's job is to pursue the lawbreakers.​

The IRS is not interested in whether or not someone is in this nation legally or not.

You didn't qualify your earlier argument as to whether the IRS is interested about illegals. You said it had no law enforcement authority. You said the same thing about the Social Security administration. You were clearly in error on both counts.

And use of fraudulent social security numbers is tax fraud which would fall under the jurisdiction of the IRS as much as the SSA.

To be precise I said that the IRS and SSA are not law enforcement agencies as per the original statement about the SSA being legally barred from sharing information with such agencies.

The IRS is charged with collecting taxes and the SSA is charged with administering social security as their primary missions.

The FBI, DEA, DOJ, ATF, Border Patrol, etc are law enforcement agencies since they are specifically tasked with dealing with violations of the law.

The FBI's scope includes white collar crimes such as fraudulent use of SSN's and it would include dealing with international tax fraud that would be outside the scope of the IRS.

There is a clear distinction between agencies tasked with law enforcement and agencies that are not tasked with law enforcement. If the EPA were to discover someone was illegally mining on government land they would contact the appropriate law enforcement agency rather than try to shut them down for a violation of a pollution regulation.

Federal agencies with full detain, arrest, and prosecute authority:
Firearms and Arrest Authority of U.S. Federal Agencies

And those don't include the many federal agencies with inspector generals who also have power to detain, arrest, and prosecute.

Since the post-9/11 enactment of the Homeland Security Act of 2002,[19] resulting in the amendment of the IG Act of 1978, Section 6e, most presidentially appointed IG special agents have had full law enforcement authority to carry firearms, make arrests, and execute search warrants. Prior to this time, most presidentially appointed IG and some designated IG special agents had the equivalent law enforcement authorities as a result of other statutes or annually required deputation by the U.S. Marshals Service. The 2002 amendment to the IG Act of 1978 made most deputation of presidentially appointed IG special agents unnecessary. Some designated IG special agents, however, still have full law enforcement authority today by virtue of this continued deputation. Some OIGs employ no criminal investigators and rely solely on administrative investigators, auditors, and inspectors.
A list of agencies with inspector generals are:
Inspector general - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

And the IRS scope is huge as the IRS is charged with compliance of the tax laws which involve many tens of thousands of pages of rules and regulations touching on most aspects of our lives, and also incidences of money laundering and Bank Secrecy Act laws that also cover a very broad spectrum. And Obamacare also made the IRS the enforcer of compliance with that monstrosity of a law that also covers a very broad spectrum.

My statement stands in the context to which I responded. (I refuse to allow myself to be falsely accused of "derailing the thread" when I was only making a statement of fact). The mission of the IRS is to collect taxes and the SSA to administer social security.

If the OP wants to rant about Obama and the IRS then I will have nothing further to say in a thread about Social Security and illegal workers.

I didn't say anything about thread derailment either. You made a silly statement about the IRS and SSA and got called on it. And if you can't handle that then leaving the thread is probably the best choice to make.

You also were wrong about the law enforcement authority of the EPA as the links I posted show.

Last edited:

I didn't say anything about thread derailment either. You made a silly statement about the IRS and SSA and got called on it. And if you can't handle that then leaving the thread is probably the best choice to make.

I refuse to participate in your derailment of your own thread.

And kindly refrain from ad homs per your own OP Rules.

I thought personal attacks were forbidden here.

I refuse to participate in your derailment of your own thread.

And kindly refrain from ad homs per your own OP Rules.

I have directly responded to your posts and I have engaged in absolutely no ad hominem. My posts have directly addressed your posts and have not commented on anything personally about you. Your statements were wrong and you did not qualify them in any way to indicate that you meant anything other than what your statements said. And if you can drag in the EPA into this discussion, which has absolutely nothing to do re enforcement of social security, I should be able to mention Obamacare as included within the scope of the IRS enforcement authority, such authority that does include misuse of social security numbers.

I thought personal attacks were forbidden here.

They are and I did not make any personal attack. But criticism of, rebuttal of, and pointing out that a person's post is silly is not a personal attack.

The whole point of the discussion on law enforcement is to illustrate how much authority the government actually has to deal with illegals and their fraudulent use of social security numbers. So is it necessary to issue illegals legal numbers to combat that?

I am having a lot of problem justifying giving persons in the country illegally legal driving licenses. To me that is rewarding illegal behavior. And evenmoreso giving people in the country illegally legal social security numbers so that they can work and draw benefits which the law says is illegal for them to do.

Even those congressmen who voted yea or nay on that DHS funding bill that included denial of social security numbers to illegals can't say whether the President's executive order will automatically give work authority to those receiving SS numbers. If it is interpreted that way, then almost certain everybody with a government issued SS number will be eligible for social security benefits as the law specifies those with work authority are eligible.

Last edited:
Yes, you did. But I'm not surprised at the lack of apology.

I apologize when I do something warranting apology. In this case I engaged in no personal insult and no ad hominem. You however are off topic now and just engaged in ad hominem which I will report if it continues. Okay?

'THE QUESTION TO BE ADDRESSED: If it is true that illegals will be eligible for social security benefits, are you okay with persons in the country illegally being able to draw social security benefits even thought they knowingly worked with a fraudulent social security number? Why or why not?'

If it is true that illegals will be eligible to become slaves of the State, I would hope they would decline to participate. The smart ones are under the radar.

That is my opinion anyway.

I apologize when I do something warranting apology. In this case I engaged in no personal insult and no ad hominem. You however are off topic now and just engaged in ad hominem which I will report if it continues. Okay?
Go right ahead. Report yourself while you're at it.

And once again, illegal immigrants cannot collect SS benefits until and unless they become lawful citizens.

'THE QUESTION TO BE ADDRESSED: If it is true that illegals will be eligible for social security benefits, are you okay with persons in the country illegally being able to draw social security benefits even thought they knowingly worked with a fraudulent social security number? Why or why not?'

If it is true that illegals will be eligible to become slaves of the State, I would hope they would decline to participate. The smart ones are under the radar.

It would be interesting to see how many illegals would apply for those 'legal' social security numbers since they aren't prosecuted now for rampant tax evasion. I wonder how many would make themselves easier targets for the tax code?

And once again, illegal immigrants cannot collect SS benefits until and unless they become lawful citizens.

In rebuttal:

. . ,Q: How do they claim benefits if the law prohibits illegals from collecting?

A: There are several ways it happens. One has to do with the type of SSN that was used for employment. The 2004 law requires work authorization in order to claim Social Security. But the law pertains only to individuals who received their SSN after January 1, 2004. If the individual was issued an SSN prior to January 1, 2004, like the 7 million non-work SSNs issued prior to 2003, the 2004 law prohibiting payment of Social Security does not apply. According to the Congressional Research Service and the Government Accountability Office, that group does not need to have ever received legal work authorization in order to claim benefits — they may have worked illegally their entire careers.

As long as all other qualifications are met, and they have evidence of their earnings, like W2s, they may file a claim for Social Security benefits. Others who receive an SSN after 2004 must have work authorization to claim benefits. Yet even people who worked illegally for many years sometimes later change status. That can occur even without an amnesty, especially if the illegals have children who were born in this country. Because the children are born as U.S. citizens, when they become adults they can sponsor their parents to stay in the U.S. legally and to receive work authorization. If their parents kept W2s and evidence earnings, those work credits will be re-instated to their new SSNs. Once they receive work authorization, noncitizens can later file a claim for Social Security benefits. . . .
How Undocumented Workers Are Becoming Entitled To Social Security The Senior Citizens LeagueThe Senior Citizens League

It would be interesting to see how many illegals would apply for those 'legal' social security numbers since they aren't prosecuted now for rampant tax evasion. I wonder how many would make themselves easier targets for the tax code?

There is always an underground cash economy. Everywhere. Why would Jose' from Honduras want to screw up a good deal? Why apply for anything?

The smart immigrants know that they can make more money, and invest it as they see fit, if they never apply to pay into the system in the first place.

Do you expect to ever see the money you have paid into the system? I don't.

We are the fools...In my opinion anyway.

There is always an underground cash economy. Everywhere. Why would Jose' from Honduras want to screw up a good deal? Why apply for anything?

The smart immigrants know that they can make more money, and invest it as they see fit, if they never apply to pay into the system in the first place.

Social Security is not an "investment", it is insurance.

In rebuttal:

. . ,Q: How do they claim benefits if the law prohibits illegals from collecting?

A: There are several ways it happens. One has to do with the type of SSN that was used for employment. The 2004 law requires work authorization in order to claim Social Security. But the law pertains only to individuals who received their SSN after January 1, 2004. If the individual was issued an SSN prior to January 1, 2004, like the 7 million non-work SSNs issued prior to 2003, the 2004 law prohibiting payment of Social Security does not apply. According to the Congressional Research Service and the Government Accountability Office, that group does not need to have ever received legal work authorization in order to claim benefits — they may have worked illegally their entire careers.

As long as all other qualifications are met, and they have evidence of their earnings, like W2s, they may file a claim for Social Security benefits. Others who receive an SSN after 2004 must have work authorization to claim benefits. Yet even people who worked illegally for many years sometimes later change status. That can occur even without an amnesty, especially if the illegals have children who were born in this country. Because the children are born as U.S. citizens, when they become adults they can sponsor their parents to stay in the U.S. legally and to receive work authorization. If their parents kept W2s and evidence earnings, those work credits will be re-instated to their new SSNs. Once they receive work authorization, noncitizens can later file a claim for Social Security benefits. . . .
How Undocumented Workers Are Becoming Entitled To Social Security The Senior Citizens LeagueThe Senior Citizens League
They have to be US citizens or legal residents to collect the benefits.

I draw social security myself but don't really expect to live long enough to draw all I paid in--certainly not all that I would have had if I had invested that money instead of turning it over to the government to mismanage.

But I can't say it won't be there for those of you who are not yet eligible to draw social security. Thirty or forty years ago none of us thought it would be there for us either. But it is. It and other entitlement programs will sure collapse the country under the sheer weight of the debt that is growing by as much as $500 million per day, but maybe you'll get lucky. :)

The fund cannot sustain itself as we are rapidly approaching a one worker to one social security recipient ratio. And the illegals won't help with that because they too will be drawing social security either because of disability or parents with dependent children or whatever or because they retire and so those who are working and paying into the system probably won't make much, if any, difference.

In rebuttal:

They have to be US citizens or legal residents to collect the benefits.

Then provide some evidence that the sources I have provided are wrong. Otherwise I will have to consider those informed opinions to have more credibility than simply saying over and over that it isn't so.

Forum List

Back