I was there!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ernie S., Feb 16, 2011.

1. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,398
    Early in the morning on August 15, 1969, a friend and I hopped in my car, stuck Innagoddadivida in the 8 track and headed off for Bethel, New York. We got to Rt 17B about 11 AM or so and traffic was all but stopped. 17 B was a divided highway with 2 lanes in each direction. There were no cars coming from the west, so I crossed the median and put my foot in it. Soon there were a hundred cars running down the center shoulder at 70 to 80 MPH.. We continued for 10 miles or so until troopers set up a road block and directed us back to the west bound lanes. No arrests were made. I made my way to the right shoulder where I ran the grass for a while until rock walls cut off my path.
    Eventually I surrendered to the traffic jam. Mark and I had smoked up most of the weed we had when I saw a U-Haul with the back door up and a dozen or so people inside, all with brass pipes. Mark was pretty stoned, but I wanted to socialize. I inched forward until my front bumper touched the rear of the car ahead and motioned the car behind to come up to my rear bumper. I left the car in drive and told Mark to correct with the wheel as needed. I got out and hopped in the U-Haul and smoked some damned fine opium.
    In what seemed no time at all, we arrived at the Farm. I parked in a field opposite the road into the festival and we walked in, tickets in hand.

The fences were already down and they soon proclaimed Woodstock a free concert.

More later.

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I'm impressed. So, you are an old fucker now like me, huh?

3. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,398
    7/30/49. No wonder I like Maddie despite her politics.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    coooooooooooooool.

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    You're older than my wife. She was born on 10/4/49. She says she's an old fucker. Actually, I'm just a baby. I was born on 7/6/51.

But I will admit to you, that it would have been really boss to have been at Woodstock. I'm quite envious. BUT, fact still remains, you're an old fucker. Own up to it.:lol:

6. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,398
    The acts are public record and most were included on the album and or movie. Creedence Clearwater Revival were missing from both, I believe and the Dead, as I remember, from the album.
    From Richie Havens Friday evening, to Jimi Hendrix closing out the show with the Star Spangled Banner at dawn on Monday the weekend was full of music, mud, bad hoagies and worse acid.
    I made pretty good money in those days and had about a grand with me. I decided that when the NY National Guard brought in a couple hundred thousand sandwiches, that I'd buy a case and a hundred hits of acid. I passed it all out to people near me. There were people getting sick on the sandwiches and then Arlo Guthrie comes out on stage and says :Don't eat the brown acid", Talk about paranoia!.

So I guess it was Saturday night. The Grateful Dead took to the oriental rug on stage and I was down front. I found the people from the U-Haul and out came this huge tarp being passed back to cover several hundred people. Then this kilo of opium gets passed around and everyone pinches off a piece and fires up a pipe. I don't remember a lot until the next morning. I awoke up on the hill with a girl shouting at me. I had passed out in the mud and she saw only the front of my face as she slogged by.
    I mean I was TOTALLY covered except for my mouth nose and eyes. There was mud packed in my ears. My hair was a mass of mud and I guess if she hadn't found me and helped me to sit up, none of you would have to worry about me negging you.

So it was off to the famous pond. I found about 50,000 others caked in mud swimming nude and scrubbing their clothes. Peace, love and naked women! Gotta love it.

7. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,398
    Yes I'm old, and if you're lucky,punk, I'll let you get this old too.:razz:
    Getting old does suck, but it beats the shit out of the alternative.

8. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    So which was your favorite act, Ernie? From the movie, I'd pick Country Joe and The Fish.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xD8j8ye9k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xD8j8ye9k[/ame]

You in the movie, BTW?

9. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Being in a mess of druggies listening to lame music in a pouring down rain with no amenities.

Not my idea of a good time.

10. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Gee thanks for the buzz-kill! :lol: