I need to buy a used car. What kind and dealer or individual?

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
I know used cars are getting pricey. I think an Acura ILX is nice, especially a silver one. Cant afford a new car. Is it better to get one from a dealer or individual?

I know used cars are getting pricey. I think an Acura ILX is nice, especially a silver one. Cant afford a new car. Is it better to get one from a dealer or individual?
Individual. Craigslist etc.

"Dealers need not apply."

You pay double the price at a dealership, and you get only half the credit for turning in your used vehicle rather than listing it and selling it yourself.

No guarantees for a used vehicle in any case. Learn some very basic mechanic skills, check oil, check brakes, test drive, 15-minute once-over do-it-yourself inspection. You don't need to be a professional for that.

Last edited:

From an individual save lots of money. However, buyer beware. If you go this route pay to get a car history report and pay to have a trusted mechanic look it over.

From a dealer gives you more recourse (warranty) if there is trouble but you will pay more..

You have to decide which way you feel most comfortable.

Doesn't really matter EXCEPT....try to find one that is a one owner. Old man...or old lady...that doesn't drive any more or doesn't need it or passed on. Check the mileage. You don't want alot of that on there. And get all paperwork that has been done on it. Older folks tend to do that, so you will have a record.

NO DEALERS. Look on craigslist. Older folks tend to use that more than they would any other place.

The older the car, the better in my opinion. Especially if taken care of. They are more sturdy.

Anyway..that's what I do when I purchase a car....but I haven't in a long time so............

You pay double the price at a dealership, and you get only half the credit for turning in your used vehicle rather than listing it and selling it yourself.

No guarantees for a used vehicle in any case. Learn some very basic mechanic skills, check oil, check brakes, test drive, 15-minute once-over do-it-yourself inspection. You don't need to be a professional for that.
Private sale=no warranty.
Buying a certified used=full warranty.
Your choice.

Your choice.

Agreed.

But you get what you pay for.

In the mean nobody is losing money on warranties.

Your choice.
There's no need for that whatsoever. For the price of a dealer markup plus a secondary market "warranty" at a used car dealership, you can easily buy another car from a private party if the first one you buy doesn't quite work out for you for some reason or another.

If you do end up buying from a dealer, when they ask if you've got a trade in, simply give a non-committal answer: "I'm not planning to" or "I haven't decided" is fine. The sales guy will still have to give you a price which tempts you. Once you agree on a price you can bring up your trade. The caveat here is that they may not accept it...

Your choice.
There's no need for that whatsoever. For the price of a dealer markup plus a secondary market "warranty" at a used car dealership, you can easily buy another car from a private party if the first one you buy doesn't quite work out for you for some reason or another.
And when something goes wrong you are SOL.
I’ll take the warranty.

Your choice.
And when something goes wrong you are SOL.
I’ll take the warranty.
Thanks

If you do end up buying from a dealer, when they ask if you've got a trade in, simply give a non-committal answer: "I'm not planning to" or "I haven't decided" is fine. The sales guy will still have to give you a price which tempts you. Once you agree on a price you can bring up your trade. The caveat here is that they may not accept it...
What could i get on a 2009 Hyundai Accent? No accidents and it runs well.

My car is getting too expensive to maintain.
I sold a map I got at a yard sale for 5 bucks on ebay....and got 4k for it. I bought my van from an old woman that no longer drove it that listed it on craigslist. New tranny. Great shape. 130k miles. Paid 2500.00 for it. That van has housed us, took us from one end of Cali to the other, got us thru the fire in Paradise. Its all beat up now, but she still runs. I call her Goldy. 2001 Town and Country van. I will drive her out of loyalty until she dies a peaceful death.

What could i get on a 2009 Hyundai Accent? No accidents and it runs well.
Go to kellybookbook.com. They will tell you what its worth.

My car is getting too expensive to maintain.
I sold a map I got at a yard sale for 5 bucks on ebay....and got 4k for it. I bought my van from an old woman that no longer drove it that listed it on craigslist. New tranny. Great shape. 130k miles. Paid 2500.00 for it. That van has housed us, took us from one end of Cali to the other, got us thru the fire in Paradise. Its all beat up now, but she still runs. I call her Goldy. 2001 Town and Country van. I will drive her out of loyalty until she dies a peaceful death.
Sounds good.

Forum List

Back