I need to buy a used car. What kind and dealer or individual?

Oh, and another tip....if you have a mechanic, have him check it out BEFORE you buy it.

I know used cars are getting pricey. I think an Acura ILX is nice, especially a silver one. Cant afford a new car. Is it better to get one from a dealer or individual?
I prefer to buy used, from individuals. The wealthier the neighborhood, the better. The thousands you save from bypassing the dealer markups can be held for a few months to cover any unseen repairs. It's always good to be a second owner, with mileage below 100K. Also, one of my best cars was a rebuilt title. If done correctly, a rebuild can be a fantastic value.

Personally, I only by used low milage one owner Toyota's for myself, my kids, and granddaughter.
They are super reliable and require very little maintenance.
(just the normal tires, brakes, and battery replacement, when needed as with any car)
Toyota's have the best automatic transmissions. I know two mechanics that have never had to repair one in their shop.
Toyota's of any model can easily go 300+ miles with no problem.
Just be sure to change the oil and filter as scheduled and you're good to go. ... :cool:

I know used cars are getting pricey. I think an Acura ILX is nice, especially a silver one. Cant afford a new car. Is it better to get one from a dealer or individual?
Individual. Craigslist etc.

"Dealers need not apply."

You pay double the price at a dealership, and you get only half the credit for turning in your used vehicle rather than listing it and selling it yourself.

No guarantees for a used vehicle in any case. Learn some very basic mechanic skills, check oil, check brakes, test drive, 15-minute once-over do-it-yourself inspection. You don't need to be a professional for that.
Private sale=no warranty.
Buying a certified used=full warranty.
Your choice.
You can get warranties without dealer now. And they arent that expensive.

You pay double the price at a dealership, and you get only half the credit for turning in your used vehicle rather than listing it and selling it yourself.

No guarantees for a used vehicle in any case. Learn some very basic mechanic skills, check oil, check brakes, test drive, 15-minute once-over do-it-yourself inspection. You don't need to be a professional for that.
Private sale=no warranty.
Your choice.
You can get warranties without dealer now. And they arent that expensive.
Not certified. Big difference.

My car is getting too expensive to maintain.
I sold a map I got at a yard sale for 5 bucks on ebay....and got 4k for it. I bought my van from an old woman that no longer drove it that listed it on craigslist. New tranny. Great shape. 130k miles. Paid 2500.00 for it. That van has housed us, took us from one end of Cali to the other, got us thru the fire in Paradise. Its all beat up now, but she still runs. I call her Goldy. 2001 Town and Country van. I will drive her out of loyalty until she dies a peaceful death.

Wait...the old woman was a new Tranny?

If the wheels fall off, or the transmission drops ... You'll have a better chance of recourse with a dealer.

*ONLY if manufacturer certified (not dealer certified. That means exactly jack shit). And even then is it usually only 12 months of warranty.

And given you will pay $1000-$1500 more for the certified vehicle, you might do better just to ignore certifications and buy an aftermarket warranty. Can get 6-8 years fro $2000-$3000

*ONLY if manufacturer certified (not dealer certified. That means exactly jack shit). And even then is it usually only 12 months of warranty.

And given you will pay $1000-$1500 more for the certified vehicle, you might do better just to ignore certifications and buy an aftermarket warranty. Can get 6-8 years fro $2000-$3000
I would never buy a used car that is not manufacturer certified.

When I need to buy a good used car I'll start watching my local Craigslist, and also Craigslist ads in other nearby towns.
You have to be patient, but eventually the car you desire will show up. (it may take a day, a week, or even a month)
Personally, I only buy cars from individual owners, not dealerships.
I'll only go to see the car at the person's home, not some parking lot scam.
When I pull up to the sellers house and if it looks all dilapidated and the yard is an unkept jungle, I don't stop and just keep on driving. I figure their car is a piece of junk that's never been regularly serviced.
But if the sellers home is in a nice neighborhood with a well kept yard, I figure the car has also been taken care of and had regular oil and filter changes. It's a bonus if the seller is an elderly person. ... :cool:

Last edited:
If you were here in Hayward I could get you an excellent price on a vehicle.

If you want a layman's education on cars, I highly suggest watching Scotty Kilmer video's on Youtube.
He is an old school mechanic that covers everything about cars. Which cars are good, and which cars never to buy.
He also gives simple tips to make your car drive better and last longer.
Most all of his video's last around 5 minutes. ... :cool:

Got mine from a dealer.
Bought a lease return with 48K miles and was fully warranted till 100k. Also came with lifetime powertrain warranty that covered a new engine when mine failed at 152k at no cost to myself.
The catch on that is when repairs reach current value of vehicle lifetime ends, but it saved my ass while I still had payments.
I seriously thought it was BS when the salesman told me about it, but they honored it. Vehicle must be properly maintained also.

So sell your car yourself.
Buying certified is the way to go. You get a warranty and they go over the car to make sure every thing works properly.
When buying from an individual you have no clue if the vehicle is in good condition.
Hell,the damn thing might give up the ghost a week after you buy and you have zero recourse.
Now you can take the car to a mechanic and have them look it over but I trust mechanics as far as I can throw them.

If you want a layman's education on cars, I highly suggest watching Scotty Kilmer video's on Youtube.
He is an old school mechanic that covers everything about cars. Which cars are good, and which cars never to buy.

He knows so much he spent time in jail for hot wiring and stealing cars!! :auiqs.jpg:

If you do end up buying from a dealer, when they ask if you've got a trade in, simply give a non-committal answer: "I'm not planning to" or "I haven't decided" is fine. The sales guy will still have to give you a price which tempts you. Once you agree on a price you can bring up your trade. The caveat here is that they may not accept it...
What could i get on a 2009 Hyundai Accent? No accidents and it runs well.

If you do end up buying from a dealer, when they ask if you've got a trade in, simply give a non-committal answer: "I'm not planning to" or "I haven't decided" is fine. The sales guy will still have to give you a price which tempts you. Once you agree on a price you can bring up your trade. The caveat here is that they may not accept it...
What could i get on a 2009 Hyundai Accent? No accidents and it runs well.

Is it getting to expensive to maintain or does it run well?
Personally If I were buying a used vehicle I'd go with a Toyota or a Honda.
A Toyota with 100k miles still has at least another 100k in it assuming it was properly maintained.

He knows so much he spent time in jail for hot wiring and stealing cars!! :auiqs.jpg:

It's a true story.
He did in fact go to jail for stealing cars.

Forum List

Back