I need to buy a used car. What kind and dealer or individual?

I know used cars are getting pricey. I think an Acura ILX is nice, especially a silver one. Cant afford a new car. Is it better to get one from a dealer or individual?
Individual. Craigslist etc.

"Dealers need not apply."

You pay double the price at a dealership, and you get only half the credit for turning in your used vehicle rather than listing it and selling it yourself.

No guarantees for a used vehicle in any case. Learn some very basic mechanic skills, check oil, check brakes, test drive, 15-minute once-over do-it-yourself inspection. You don't need to be a professional for that.
Private sale=no warranty.
Buying a certified used=full warranty.
Your choice.
You can get warranties without dealer now. And they arent that expensive.

Ya gotta be careful with those.
A lot of the time they dont cover expensive repairs.

I know used cars are getting pricey. I think an Acura ILX is nice, especially a silver one. Cant afford a new car. Is it better to get one from a dealer or individual?

You pay double the price at a dealership, and you get only half the credit for turning in your used vehicle rather than listing it and selling it yourself.

No guarantees for a used vehicle in any case. Learn some very basic mechanic skills, check oil, check brakes, test drive, 15-minute once-over do-it-yourself inspection. You don't need to be a professional for that.
Your choice.

I bought a truck from a dealer a few years ago that gave me a 3 month warranty. He said I could extend it if I wanted to. It was like 30 bucks a month that covered everything but maintenance. Even full motor swaps.
I have no doubt there are companies out there like you said though.

If you want a layman's education on cars, I highly suggest watching Scotty Kilmer video's on Youtube.
He is an old school mechanic that covers everything about cars. Which cars are good, and which cars never to buy.
He also gives simple tips to make your car drive better and last longer.
Most all of his video's last around 5 minutes. ... :cool:

He knows so much he spent time in jail for hot wiring and stealing cars!! :auiqs.jpg:

It's a true story.
He did in fact go to jail for stealing cars.

It's true.
He had a radio show here in Houston and a TV show on KHOU for years,I've listened to him for decades.

Your choice.

I bought a truck from a dealer a few years ago that gave me a 3 month warranty. He said I could extend it if I wanted to. It was like 30 bucks a month that covered everything but maintenance. Even full motor swaps.
I have no doubt there are companies out there like you said though.

I usually listen to car shows on the weekend if I'm out and about and they had several shows that related to after market warranties.
It was basically buyer beware and do your homework.

When buying from an individual you have no clue if the vehicle is in good condition.
Hell,the damn thing might give up the ghost a week after you buy and you have zero recourse
That's why you do a basic look-see, inspection, test drive, engine block isn't cracked, leaking coolant or oil everywhere.

And now you'd better have a gun and stay up all night watch your vehicle be ready to shoot if anyone starts tampering or vandalizing or making unauthorized "repairs."

A New Dealer would be your best bet for protection for a used car. They usually do a detailed inspection. Usually you won't need tires, brakes, or front end. It will be more expensive but worth it. Buy a trade in from a 1 owner who purchased the car from the same dealer if possible

Obviously a car fax pull. Search the year and make of car on discussion sites and you'll find the major and minor defects and headaches.

A seperate inspection from your car mechanic is warranted

Never make a deal on the first visit. always walk out. The dealer will be on your leg holding you back, but just walk and you'll get the best deal 2 days after walking. Let them call you. Tell them you'll get back with them that you're in negotiations with 2 dealers right now.

Just before the salesman has a nervous breakdown, will be your best price

A New Dealer would be your best bet for protection for a used car. They usually do a detailed inspection. Usually you won't need tires, brakes, or front end. It will be more expensive but worth it. Buy a trade in from a 1 owner who purchased the car from the same dealer if possible

Obviously a car fax pull. Search the year and make of car on discussion sites and you'll find the major and minor defects and headaches.

Never make a deal on the first visit. always walk out. The dealer will be on your leg holding you back, but just walk and you'll get the best deal 2 days after walking. Let them call you. Tell them you'll get back with them that you're in negotiations with 2 dealers right now.

Sounds good

Sounds good
Just remember with a used car. You're at the mercy of the previous owners care no matter what. And you won't really know.

Unless you really know your way around a car, or know a friend who does, Private owners are riskier. And it is only guaranteed to drive out of the sellers driveway, you have no other recourse.

The sweet spot would be a car about 4 yrs old. About half the new price and not enough time to trash it...lol

Don't buy from someone you know or recommended. That's an instant friendship destroyer...lol

Sounds good
Just remember with a used car. You're at the mercy of the previous owners care no matter what. And you won't really know.

Unless you really know your way around a car, or know a friend who does, Private owners are riskier. And it is only guaranteed to drive out of the sellers driveway, you have no other recourse.

The sweet spot would be a car about 4 yrs old. About half the new price and not enough time to trash it...lol

Don't buy from someone you know or recommended. That's an instant friendship destroyer...lol
Are you saying, dont mix friendship and money, lol? Ive been burned a few times on that.

When buying from an individual you have no clue if the vehicle is in good condition.
Hell,the damn thing might give up the ghost a week after you buy and you have zero recourse
That's why you do a basic look-see, inspection, test drive, engine block isn't cracked, leaking coolant or oil everywhere.

And now you'd better have a gun and stay up all night watch your vehicle be ready to shoot if anyone starts tampering or vandalizing or making unauthorized "repairs."

Thats why you left out the last part of my post.

Dude you're insane.
I mean seriously mentally challenged.
No wonder the authorities took away your firearms,you're crazier than a shit house rat.
Oh...I'm a secret double Knot spy and I'm out to get you....BOO!!!

I found an acura ILX FOR 20500 seems pricey
What year and mileage. Any extra bells and whistles like automatic eye shadow placement, sunroof, bla bla

Who is selling it. Is this the asking price upfront. Is the condition at least Very Good??

2017 34300. Nothing special and the sexy salesman doesnt come with it. Its a dealer.

I spent a month on YouTube before leasing my last car; the dealers caved.

Sounds good

Are you saying, dont mix friendship and money, lol? Ive been burned a few times on that.
Depends how much you really love them.....lolol. Usually the burn about 80% of the time. Like cosigning a car for a derelict relative or friend

2017 34300. Nothing special and the sexy salesman doesnt come with it. Its a dealer.
4 yrs old. Good. 34k is 14k below average at 12k a year.

Very favorible used car........................Give me 20 and I'll probably ask some questions

Forum List

Back