I Keep Getting Redirected ...

My malware program has so far picked up only five things that got past the initial malware blocker - but something there is rated high risk--it will remove it when the scan is completed. My virus program so far has picked up nothing and the scan is almost completed, so that is a good thing.

While we're at it, I was thoughtfully invited to join a private group that I'm sure you guys will have fun at but I have decided is not my cup of tea. But I can't get rid of the invite so it doesn't show up in my notifications. How do I do that?

Running a full scan myself... this does not happen with other sites that I visit.. it is specific to here, which tells me something is embedded in an iRule on a load balancer, something has infected the source code of the ad software, or something else similar..

It is indeed malware of a sort, as it is a redirect attack

While we're at it, I was thoughtfully invited to join a private group that I'm sure you guys will have fun at but I have decided is not my cup of tea. But I can't get rid of the invite so it doesn't show up in my notifications. How do I do that?

Click on the group and a pop up should say; I accept or I decline. Click on the decline and it should go away.

If I was in charge of a website where users computers were being attacked by malware, I would shut down all advertising until I was certain content would not harm the computers of my members.

If you were in charge of running a website you'd understand that its not malware dumbass.

Wow! What a way to talk to a contributing member.

I'm no longer having the pop-up and forced redirects on my iPad. I really hope it stays that way.

Running a full scan myself... this does not happen with other sites that I visit.. it is specific to here, which tells me something is embedded in an iRule on a load balancer, something has infected the source code of the ad software, or something else similar..

It is indeed malware of a sort, as it is a redirect attack

Yes, removing a small amount of malware on my computer just now did temporarily solve the problem. But then I went back to the page where that group invite was and again got the 'threat has been detected message.' So I waded through my Microsoft account stuff to figure how how to deal with IE etc. on Windows 8.1--it doesn't work like any other Windows program--and finally found the magic bullet to turn off personalized ads. It is called that instead of 'third party ads' I suppose. And so far no more unwanted ads or threat alerts have shown up. So keeping my fingers crossed.

Now I have to figure out how to do the same with AOL, Chrome, and Firefox

Last edited:
I keep getting redirected to a page asking me to download a video player and also the quoted box for posting is still hesitating when you type.

Wtf is wrong with this site?
I had the same problems yesterday, it was asking me to download this "V Flash player" to view the USMB, that came with all kinds of cookies and other downloads and ads I couldn't stop. My computer was literally under attack every time I would try to get on the USMB. I spent like half an hour removing whole bunch of unwanted programs and malware from my computer. It was horrible.

Last edited:
If I was in charge of a website where users computers were being attacked by malware, I would shut down all advertising until I was certain content would not harm the computers of my members.

If you were in charge of running a website you'd understand that its not malware dumbass.

Wow! What a way to talk to a contributing member.
Why should CMs be treated differently? There are lots of dumbasses on USMB!

He's not the only dumbass contributing member!

You gotta remember the bell-shaped curves!

I keep getting redirected to a page asking me to download a video player and also the quoted box for posting is still hesitating when you type.

Wtf is wrong with this site?
I had the same problems yesterday, it was asking me to download this "V Flash player" to view the USMB, that came with all kinds of cookies and other downloads and ads I couldn't stop. My computer was literally under attack every time I would try to get on the USMB. I spent like half an hour removing whole bunch of unwanted programs and malware from my computer. It was horrible.

I logged all the way out, cleared the cookies, temp files, you may not have to reboot but I did then logged back on. No problem since and that was at about noonish. It's now 2:30. Hopefully I won't see it anymore.

I didn't download anything, just kept deleting the notifications.

Ok ladies and gents we should be back to normal. I'd recommend logging out, navigating away from the site and cleaning temp internet files/cache/cookies and logging back in.

I'm posting on IE with no add-ons/ad blocks and it's all clear (I couldn't even get on site b4)

What a frustrating couple days. With that said, enjoy and have a great weekend. Apologies for the disruption.

Ok ladies and gents we should be back to normal. I'd recommend logging out, navigating away from the site and cleaning temp internet files/cache/cookies and logging back in.

I'm posting on IE with no add-ons/ad blocks and it's all clear (I couldn't even get on site b4)

What a frustrating couple days. With that said, enjoy and have a great weekend. Apologies for the disruption.

Important that members not only clean out the cache, but also check for unwanted add-ons.

also, purging the DNS cache is not a bad idea, even if it is not directly associated with this particular problem.

I see absolutely nothing like this at all (on Opera with AdBlock Plus).

I was about to suggest it's in your system Sarah - maybe not but my text box has been fine and still no ads.

Special thanks for Rat Inna Hat for yet another obnoxious image to use "block element" on. I love swatting internet flies.
fly-eater-smiley-emoticon.gif
It's not her system. This apparently is a widespread problem. It had me completely locked out of USMB all day yesterday. When I tried to log on the site was interrupted by a full page "DOWNLOAD" to "Flash Player" demand.

Also, background audio, apparently a tv station, comes on and I had to kill my speakers to be rid of it.

This site is clearly under attack.

I see absolutely nothing like this at all (on Opera with AdBlock Plus).

I was about to suggest it's in your system Sarah - maybe not but my text box has been fine and still no ads.

Special thanks for Rat Inna Hat for yet another obnoxious image to use "block element" on. I love swatting internet flies.
fly-eater-smiley-emoticon.gif
It's not her system. This apparently is a widespread problem. It had me completely locked out of USMB all day yesterday. When I tried to log on the site was interrupted by a full page "DOWNLOAD" to "Flash Player" demand.

Also, background audio, apparently a tv station, comes on and I had to kill my speakers to be rid of it.

This site is clearly under attack.

I'm still good since I followed the instructions CK gave us. Several of them keep insinuating that it is my problem and I should download some freeware. I disagree.

Thanks for your response, I was having the same issues you had with the audio and getting redirected to download a player.

Wasn't yo fault, boss!
Cheers!
:beer:

Forum List

Back