Court dismisses Pa. Freedom Caucus lawsuit challenging automatic voter registration

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
‘A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by two dozen conservative state lawmakers that claimed ballot access initiatives by President Joe Biden and Gov. Josh Shapiro usurped the state Legislature’s authority to direct federal elections in the commonwealth.

U.S. District Judge Jennifer P. Wilson’s one-page order on Tuesday grants motions by state and federal officials to dismiss the case. The order also denies a request by two dozen conservative lawmakers for a preliminary injunction to block the ballot access initiatives, including Shapiro’s executive order implementing automatic voter registration for driver’s license applicants.

In a statement, Shapiro said automatic voter registration is safe, secure, efficient, and entirely within his administration’s authority. Shapiro said that in 2020, when he was attorney general, he defeated Donald Trump and “his conspiracy theorist allies” in court to defend Pennsylvania residents’ votes and access to the ballot box.

“Today, we’ve done it again by getting their frivolous effort to stop automatic voter registration in our Commonwealth dismissed,” Shapiro’s statement said. Shapiro added that he remains focused on protecting democracy and ensuring elections are free, fair, safe, and secure.’

Very good.

Another victory for democracy.

‘A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by two dozen conservative state lawmakers that claimed ballot access initiatives by President Joe Biden and Gov. Josh Shapiro usurped the state Legislature’s authority to direct federal elections in the commonwealth.

U.S. District Judge Jennifer P. Wilson’s one-page order on Tuesday grants motions by state and federal officials to dismiss the case. The order also denies a request by two dozen conservative lawmakers for a preliminary injunction to block the ballot access initiatives, including Shapiro’s executive order implementing automatic voter registration for driver’s license applicants.

In a statement, Shapiro said automatic voter registration is safe, secure, efficient, and entirely within his administration’s authority. Shapiro said that in 2020, when he was attorney general, he defeated Donald Trump and “his conspiracy theorist allies” in court to defend Pennsylvania residents’ votes and access to the ballot box.

“Today, we’ve done it again by getting their frivolous effort to stop automatic voter registration in our Commonwealth dismissed,” Shapiro’s statement said. Shapiro added that he remains focused on protecting democracy and ensuring elections are free, fair, safe, and secure.’

Very good.

I don’t see the actual ruling there…I wonder why that is? Hmmmm…

What difference does it make and why are Republicans afraid of voters? I suspect that losing the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 elections has a lot to do with it. :)
“What difference does it make”? :laughing0301: Lots.

I’d like to see the arguments made, the reasoning of the judge, etc…

I certainly am not going to take the attorney’s arguing for automatic registration word for it…

Why are you unwilling to show these things?

..so migrants who get drivers licenses are automatically registered voters? Just use made up numbers.

"And the suit challenged a 2018 directive from former Gov. Tom Wolf that voter registrations can’t be rejected only because an applicant’s identifying numbers — such as their drivers’ license number or Social Security number – doesn’t match what the government has in its database."

Very good.

Another win for the good guys.

We have to do something about renegade judges like this. Motor voter is wrong and fraught with the possibility for fraud. While I feel Shapiro is OK on some things, this is a total loser, on par with Biden's border policy. Cheaters have to cheat. MAGA

We have to do something about renegade judges like this. Motor voter is wrong and fraught with the possibility for fraud. While I feel Shapiro is OK on some things, this is a total loser, on par with Biden's border policy. Cheaters have to cheat. MAGA
They didn`t cheat very well. Republicans were very successful in the 2020 election in Pa. They won damn near everything with the exception of the vote for president. Why is that?

..so migrants who get drivers licenses are automatically registered voters? Just use made up numbers.

Not quite.

All applicants have the ability to be processed to be registered to vote, which is different than fully automatically registered. If you aren't legal to vote, then it's rejected.

"And the suit challenged a 2018 directive from former Gov. Tom Wolf that voter registrations can’t be rejected only because an applicant’s identifying numbers — such as their drivers’ license number or Social Security number – doesn’t match what the government has in its database."

Correct. Since initial drivers don't have a Drivers License, they would be relying on SSN. Being prior military I can recite my SSN forwards, backwards, upside down and sideways. I now work in HR, and during the hiring process you would be gob-smacked at the number of people that DON'T know their SSN because they hardly use it. (I didn't say "never", I said "hardly" such that it isn't burned into their brains.) Because it's not burned into their brain, they often get the number wrong.

WW

Last edited:
They didn`t cheat very well. Republicans were very successful in the 2020 election in Pa. They won damn near everything with the exception of the vote for president. Why is that?
My Representative, Susan Wild, Dem, won in 2020 on a mysterious overnight vote dump. I really doubt that result too. MAGA

I’m glad to see this, just another tool in the bag for republicans this election cycle. Remember, the way to win is to use the same tactics as democrats.

VEVO!!

What difference does it make and why are Republicans afraid of voters? I suspect that losing the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 elections has a lot to do with it. :)
It means that in time a Chinese warship can come here with a couple thousand soldiers and take over any number of Prog cities easily. And why the hell should anyone not living in those areas give a shit?

Not quite. All applicants have the ability to be processed to be registered to vote, which is different than fully automatically registered. If you aren't legal to vote, then it's rejected.

Correct. Since initial drivers don't have a Drivers License, they would be relying on SSN. Being prior military I can recite my SSN forwards, backwards, upside down and sideways. I now work in HR, and during the hiring process you would be gob-smacked at the number of people that DON'T know their SSN because they hardly use it. (I didn't say "never", I said "hardly" such that it isn't burned into their brains.) Because it's not burned into their brain, they often get the number wrong.

WW
Living in PA I know the bias DMV has for democrats. IMHO DMV is more than willing to register new democrats, legal or not.

Very good.

Another made-up fake decision by a Dimtard judge you mean Mrs. Jones.
Why can't you America haters understand? Judges are supposed to rule by existing law, not make up their own.

Another win for the good guys.

^ democrat Party "good guys"

Very good.

In Canada, voter registration is on our income tax returns. We check a box on the basic information page of our individual returns and Rev Canada forwards voter registration information to our jurisdictions. Since Rev Canada confirms citizenship when they issue our Social Insurance Number, they already have our birth certificates and any naturalization papers on file.

When I moved to a different riding right before the 2015 election, I simply had to take my SIN Card, and local utility bill or bank statement to prove residence, to vote in the country next door to my old address.

If you file income taxes in Canada, Rev Canada will hook you up, not just for voting. They will register you for the vote. They will send you information on programs you may qualify for based on your income.

People won't work under the table here, because you don't get ANY of these benefits if you're not filing taxes. My daughter took an "under the table job" as a teenager. When the job ended, she asked if she could get unemployment insurance and I said "No. You didn't pay into it. You get nothing." Her friends were getting Unemployment Insurance. One of them was upgrading her skills with a grant. She got no retraining allowances, no unemployment insurance, no income supports. She said she would never work under the table again.

Forum List

Back