How is Russia's posting ads on Facebook tantamount to "meddling" in the U.S. election?

Well, hacking into someone's computer system is a crime, it's also espionage. How is that akin to "meddling" in an election? And we were hearing about how the Russians had "meddle" in our elections for well over a year and long, long before these indictments came down. So, I'll ask again, how is posting ads on Facebook tantamount to election interference?
Espionage in an effort to undermine the ELECTION campaign of a particular candidate is MEDDLING in an election campaign. If you don't even agree to that there is no point in having a conversation.
I have a problem with the assertion that knowledge undermines an election campaign.

Do you have a problem with misinformation funded by a foreign adversary undermining an election campaign?
I generally do not like misinformation regardless the source.

Spreading knowledge then is one thing; spreading misinformation is another then; correct?
Then we need to put those at CNN in Prison.

Why, do you think she/he should be prevented from making that speech?

I didn't say any such thing. If you want to exchange thoughts and ideas with me, I am willing to do so. If you want to play games like this I'll just put you on "ignore".

'Meddling' is a very broad term, and any attempt to influence thought/action can be considered as such. The real question is what the effects actually are. Since Americans seem so vulnerable to emotional manipulation, such meddling is inestimable.
Education is so lamentably poor that thinking has become a challenge up to which many are not.

Last edited:
Mueller is a partisan Democrat who is out to overthrow Trump. That's what this is all about. If Hillary had won, so-called "Russian meddling" probably wouldn't have come up.
Mueller is a Republican.
Spreading disinformation has existed since the beginning of time.
So it seems.

Mueller is a never-Trumper and has possibly been corrupted. Every member of his team is an ardent Democrat. Wikileaks reported last August that Mueller PERSONALLY delivered uranium to the Russians in Moscow at the behest of then-SOS Hillary Clinton.

Why, do you think she/he should be prevented from making that speech?

I didn't say any such thing. If you want to exchange thoughts and ideas with me, I am willing to do so. If you want to play games like this I'll just put you on "ignore".
Please. I'd rather be on the ignore list of one with such reading comprehension than have to explain the use of commas in every post.

'Meddling' is a very broad term, and any attempt to influence thought/action can be considered as such. The real question is what the effects actually are. Since Americans seem so vulnerable to emotional manipulation, and such meddling is inestimable.
Education is so lamentably poor that thinking has become a challenge up to which many are not.

Agreed. I don't consider posting inflammatory things on Facebook as "election interference" or "meddling".

Mueller is a partisan Democrat who is out to overthrow Trump. That's what this is all about. If Hillary had won, so-called "Russian meddling" probably wouldn't have come up.
Mueller is a Republican.
So it seems.

Mueller is a never-Trumper and has possibly been corrupted. Every member of his team is an ardent Democrat. Wikileaks reported last August that Mueller PERSONALLY delivered uranium to the Russians in Moscow at the behest of then-SOS Hillary Clinton.

Oh my goodness...where do you get this rubbish?

Mueller is a Republican.
So it seems.

Oh my goodness...where do you get this rubbish?

Wikileaks.

It seems to me that the claim that Russia "meddled" in our election is pretty much bullshit, unless you believe that posting ads on Facebook counts.

Because of the misinformation that is spread. It’s more than just ads. There are networks or more like armies of fake profiles from which propaganda and false information is spewed. Half the people on this message board are fake. Their only purpose is to manipulate the truth at the benefit of their masters. It’s a modern version of a centuries old tool that keeps the masses down and keeps the select few in power. Zuckerberg is the minister of misinformation and propaganda. He should be jailed for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me that the claim that Russia "meddled" in our election is pretty much bullshit, unless you believe that posting ads on Facebook counts.

Because of the misinformation that is spread. It’s more than just ads. There are networks or more like armies of fake profiles from which propaganda and false information is spewed. Half the people on this message board are fake. Their only purpose is to manipulate the truth at the benefit of their masters. It’s a modern version of a centuries old tool that keeps the masses down and keeps the select few in power. Zuckerberg is the minister of misinformation and propaganda. He should be jailed for life.

Too much of this is true to click "funny", too much is too extreme to click "agree".

Thanks for the honest response. I think the impact of their efforts was pretty much ZILCH.

Whatever bullshit the Russians posted pales in comparison to the bullshit being posted on Facebook, Twitter and message boards like this on a daily basis.

And posting bullshit on the internet is NOT akin to "meddling" in an election.

Thanks again.

Answer my question.

That's kind of funny considering you've been dodging mine.
I'm not dodging anything. I'm recognizing the futility of talking to you. It's like trying to talk to my 6 year old about the socio-economic situation of early 20th century in Europe. I doesn't matter how good the arguments are if she doesn't have a basic understanding of what I'm talking about. Saying that the act of an act of espionage is not connected to the purpose of that particular act shows either an inability to grasp the nature of the world, or and I strongly suspect this the case, a complete unwillingness to engage in an honest conversation. Either way I'm unwilling to lose my time on you.

Answer my question.

That's kind of funny considering you've been dodging mine.
I'm not dodging anything. I'm recognizing the futility of talking to you. It's like trying to talk to my 6 year old about the socio-economic situation of early 20th century in Europe. I doesn't matter how good the arguments are if she doesn't have a basic understanding of what I'm talking about. Saying that the act of an act of espionage is not connected to the purpose of that particular act shows either an inability to grasp the nature of the world, or and I strongly suspect this the case, a complete unwillingness to engage in an honest conversation. Either way I'm unwilling to lose my time on you.

That's rude. I wasn't impolite to you. I didn't insult you.

Anyway, I disagree that posting mean things on the internet is tantamount to election interference. We can agree to disagree. I won't call you names.

Read: Mueller indictment against 12 Russian spies for DNC hack
Seems to me these indictments are about more then posting facebook ads. In fact I don't believe facebook is even mentioned in this indictment. That was part of a different part of the effort.

Well, hacking into someone's computer system is a crime, it's also espionage. How is that akin to "meddling" in an election? And we were hearing about how the Russians had "meddle" in our elections for well over a year and long, long before these indictments came down. So, I'll ask again, how is posting ads on Facebook tantamount to election interference?
Espionage in an effort to undermine the ELECTION campaign of a particular candidate is MEDDLING in an election campaign. If you don't even agree to that there is no point in having a conversation.
I have a problem with the assertion that knowledge undermines an election campaign.
Depends on how that knowledge is used, why it is used and whom it is using. For instance in these indictments the DNC was hacked by the Russian government, lets keep aside that that is a crime. It gave one side an advantage, which goes against the principle of a fair election. But it goes further then that, because the Russians did it,one has to answer the question of the reason they did, something that has national security implications. Even if the answer to that question is benign, the simple fact that it happened, as events have proven, casts suspicion on any act by the president and this has consequences for the faith in the Democratic system as a whole. And makes the president less effective. K9buck and so many others on this board are arguing that the question doesn't have to be answered, which leads me to believe that they suspect what I fear. Namely that the president of the United States is compromised.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back