How is Russia's posting ads on Facebook tantamount to "meddling" in the U.S. election?

It seems to me that the claim that Russia "meddled" in our election is pretty much bullshit, unless you believe that posting ads on Facebook counts.

Because of the misinformation that is spread. It’s more than just ads. There are networks or more like armies of fake profiles from which propaganda and false information is spewed. Half the people on this message board are fake. Their only purpose is to manipulate the truth at the benefit of their masters. It’s a modern version of a centuries old tool that keeps the masses down and keeps the select few in power. Zuckerberg is the minister of misinformation and propaganda. He should be jailed for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the honest response. I think the impact of their efforts was pretty much ZILCH.

Whatever bullshit the Russians posted pales in comparison to the bullshit being posted on Facebook, Twitter and message boards like this on a daily basis.

And posting bullshit on the internet is NOT akin to "meddling" in an election.

Thanks again.

The bullshit being posted does affect elections. People are not bright enough to know that the info they get from sponsored ads and memes are blatant lies. The misinformation plants a seed which spreads to the masses. Actually some very smart people buy into pure crap also. The propaganda comes from many sides: Corporate sponsors who benefit from one candidate being elected, lobbyists for oil companies and such who benefit from a candidate being elected, and foreign governments who benefit from the division of our people caused by the misinformation. How can we as a people stand together if we spend all our time hating each other. ? We cannot ,and therefore we can never revolt. That’s what the masters want. We are weak and every time we post against each other we play into the hands of the oppressors.

K9buck and so many others on this board are arguing that the questions doesn't have to be answered...

Not only are you rude, but dishonest as well. I never said or implied any such thing.

ok so why aren't they bitching about China?

China has been raping us for many, many years. Trump is the first president to even broach the subject.

candycorn

Why do you think that is funny? Do you think it is untrue?

That Trump--the guy who has his cheap suits made in China--is the first to voice objections.

Trump didn't have anything to do with the colossal intelligence operations against the U.S. for the past 50 years. It sounds like you're inflicted with TDS.

Answer my question.

That's kind of funny considering you've been dodging mine.
I'm not dodging anything. I'm recognizing the futility of talking to you. It's like trying to talk to my 6 year old about the socio-economic situation of early 20th century in Europe. I doesn't matter how good the arguments are if she doesn't have a basic understanding of what I'm talking about. Saying that the act of an act of espionage is not connected to the purpose of that particular act shows either an inability to grasp the nature of the world, or and I strongly suspect this the case, a complete unwillingness to engage in an honest conversation. Either way I'm unwilling to lose my time on you.

That's rude. I wasn't impolite to you. I didn't insult you.

Anyway, I disagree that posting mean things on the internet is tantamount to election interference. We can agree to disagree. I won't call you names.
You accused me of dodging a question which I DID find rude,while I from the very beginning clearly stated what I considered a condition of having the conversation.
Espionage in an effort to undermine the ELECTION campaign of a particular candidate is MEDDLING in an election campaign. If you don't even agree to that there is no point in having a conversation.
If you take offence to reiterating that condition in a more clear way I can only say," tough". By the way I didn't call you a name. I gave an analogy.

It seems to me that the claim that Russia "meddled" in our election is pretty much bullshit, unless you believe that posting ads on Facebook counts.

Because of the misinformation that is spread. It’s more than just ads. There are networks or more like armies of fake profiles from which propaganda and false information is spewed. Half the people on this message board are fake. Their only purpose is to manipulate the truth at the benefit of their masters. It’s a modern version of a centuries old tool that keeps the masses down and keeps the select few in power. Zuckerberg is the minister of misinformation and propaganda. He should be jailed for life.

Thanks for the honest response. I think the impact of their efforts was pretty much ZILCH.

Whatever bullshit the Russians posted pales in comparison to the bullshit being posted on Facebook, Twitter and message boards like this on a daily basis.

Thanks again.

The bullshit being posted does affect elections. People are not bright enough to know that the info they get from sponsored ads and memes are blatant lies. The misinformation plants a seed which spreads to the masses. Actually some very smart people buy into pure crap also. The propaganda comes from many sides: Corporate sponsors who benefit from one candidate being elected, lobbyists for oil companies and such who benefit from a candidate being elected, and foreign governments who benefit from the division of our people caused by the misinformation. How can we as a people stand together if we spend all our time hating each other. ? We cannot ,and therefore we can never revolt. That’s what the masters want. We are weak and every time we post against each other we play into the hands of the oppressors.

This past May, USA Today examined the Facebook posts attributed to the Russians. I highly encourage you and everyone else to read it IF you want to know what was actually posted. Guys like candycorn don't need to read it because they're happy to parrot the narrative regardless of the truth.

We read every one of the 3,517 Facebook ads bought by Russians. Here's what we found

Mueller is a partisan Democrat who is out to overthrow Trump. That's what this is all about. If Hillary had won, so-called "Russian meddling" probably wouldn't have come up.
Mueller is a Republican.
Spreading disinformation has existed since the beginning of time.
So it seems.

Mueller is a never-Trumper and has possibly been corrupted. Every member of his team is an ardent Democrat. Wikileaks reported last August that Mueller PERSONALLY delivered uranium to the Russians in Moscow at the behest of then-SOS Hillary Clinton.

Oh my goodness...where do you get this rubbish?

Wikileaks.

Ahh...the criminals who break into computers and whose leader is under hose arrest. Says quite a bit.

The actual facts are as follows; the members of Muellers team that have reported donations have made donations to both parties. Mueller is a repubican.

Answer my question.

That's kind of funny considering you've been dodging mine.
I'm not dodging anything. I'm recognizing the futility of talking to you. It's like trying to talk to my 6 year old about the socio-economic situation of early 20th century in Europe. I doesn't matter how good the arguments are if she doesn't have a basic understanding of what I'm talking about. Saying that the act of an act of espionage is not connected to the purpose of that particular act shows either an inability to grasp the nature of the world, or and I strongly suspect this the case, a complete unwillingness to engage in an honest conversation. Either way I'm unwilling to lose my time on you.

That's rude. I wasn't impolite to you. I didn't insult you.

Anyway, I disagree that posting mean things on the internet is tantamount to election interference. We can agree to disagree. I won't call you names.
You accused me of dodging a question which I DID find rude,while I from the very beginning clearly stated what I considered a condition of having the conversation.
Espionage in an effort to undermine the ELECTION campaign of a particular candidate is MEDDLING in an election campaign. If you don't even agree to that there is no point in having a conversation.
If you take offence to reiterating that condition in a more clear way I can only say," tough". By the way I didn't call you a name. I gave an analogy.

I won't engage you further. God bless you.

ok so why aren't they bitching about China?

China has been raping us for many, many years. Trump is the first president to even broach the subject.

candycorn

Why do you think that is funny? Do you think it is untrue?

That Trump--the guy who has his cheap suits made in China--is the first to voice objections.

Trump didn't have anything to do with the colossal intelligence operations against the U.S. for the past 50 years. It sounds like you're inflicted with TDS.

Whatever...facts report a much different story than your posts but thats your problem.

K9buck and so many others on this board are arguing that the questions doesn't have to be answered...

Not only are you rude, but dishonest as well. I never said or implied any such thing.
If your OP is trying to say that what the Russians did isn't meddling, you are in fact arguing that the questions don't have to be answered. Why else are you trying to make that point?

Mueller is a partisan Democrat who is out to overthrow Trump. That's what this is all about. If Hillary had won, so-called "Russian meddling" probably wouldn't have come up.
Mueller is a Republican.
Spreading disinformation has existed since the beginning of time.
So it seems.

Mueller is a never-Trumper and has possibly been corrupted. Every member of his team is an ardent Democrat. Wikileaks reported last August that Mueller PERSONALLY delivered uranium to the Russians in Moscow at the behest of then-SOS Hillary Clinton.

Wikileaks.

Ahh...the criminals who break into computers and whose leader is under hose arrest. Says quite a bit.

The actual facts are as follows; the members of Muellers team that have reported donations have made donations to both parties. Mueller is a repubican.

Yea, like the spy that Obama pardoned because he became a transgender. If he had been a straight heterosexual, he'd still be in prison.

In any event, Wikileaks has produced a lot of useful data.

My take on you is this. You have no problem with government corruption as long as it's a Democrat engaged in it. You obviously also have issues with the concept of freedom of speech. I think you're ideology is really bad.

Thanks again.

This past May, USA Today examined the Facebook posts attributed to the Russians. I highly encourage you and everyone else to read it IF you want to know what was actually posted. Guys like candycorn don't need to read it because they're happy to parrot the narrative regardless of the truth.

We read every one of the 3,517 Facebook ads bought by Russians. Here's what we found

I did read the link. I have no idea what your point is or was so I didn't comment on it.

Neither did I when you mischaracterized what I said. Funny that you're bitching about it now.

You clicked on "funny" for my post. How did I "mischaracterize" what you said? Nor did I "bitch" about it. I simply asked you why you felt my post was "funny".

Read: Mueller indictment against 12 Russian spies for DNC hack
Seems to me these indictments are about more then posting facebook ads. In fact I don't believe facebook is even mentioned in this indictment. That was part of a different part of the effort.

Well, hacking into someone's computer system is a crime, it's also espionage. How is that akin to "meddling" in an election? And we were hearing about how the Russians had "meddle" in our elections for well over a year and long, long before these indictments came down. So, I'll ask again, how is posting ads on Facebook tantamount to election interference?
I have a problem with the assertion that knowledge undermines an election campaign.
Depends on how that knowledge is used, why it is used and whom it is using. For instance in these indictments the DNC was hacked by the Russian government, lets keep aside that that is a crime. It gave one side an advantage, which goes against the principle of a fair election. But it goes further then that, because the Russians did it,one has to answer the question of the reason they did, something that has national security implications. Even if the answer to that question is benign, the simple fact that it happened, as events has proven casts suspicion on any act by the president and this has consequences for the faith in the Democratic system as a whole. And makes the president less effective. K9buck and so many others on this board are arguing that the question doesn't have to be answered, which leads me to believe that they suspect what I fear. Namely that the president of the United States is compromised.
That knowledge is used by anyone and everyone that possesses it, namely the voting population. That the voting population became aware of the knowledge by way of a crime is unfortunate for the Clinton campaign. Had that knowledge been benign there wouldn't have been a problem aside from the crime.

That crime has yet to be prosecuted except in the court of public opinion. Saying the Russians did it is misinformation and invalidates the question.

I did read the link. I have no idea what your point is or was so I didn't comment on it.

The narrative is that Trump colluded with the Russians to swing the election from Hillary to him and that posting "fake" information on Facebook was how they did it. However, the data revealed by USA Today tells a different story. You should have gleaned that from the article.

Mueller is a Republican.
So it seems.

Wikileaks.

Yea, like the spy that Obama pardoned because he became a transgender. If he had been a straight heterosexual, he'd still be in prison.

In any event, Wikileaks has produced a lot of useful data.

My take on you is this. You have no problem with government corruption as long as it's a Democrat engaged in it. You obviously also have issues with the concept of freedom of speech. I think you're ideology is really bad.

My take on you is this. You make faulty assumptions. They are based on your preconceived notions. You are a puppet. Have you ever wondered why Wikileaks never seems to hack into ISIS, Al Queda, Hezbollah or the Kremlin and turn over intelligence to the West? Of course you haven't. You may not hate America but you have no problem singing the praises of those that clearly do.

You may not hate America but you have no problem singing the praises of those that clearly do.

That's funny coming from the guy is clearly opposed to the first amendment and is a partisan hack with TDS.

The narrative is that Trump colluded with the Russians to swing the election from Hillary to him and that posting "fake" information on Facebook was how they did it. However, the data revealed by USA Today tells a different story. You should have gleaned that from the article.

You've got to be kidding me....

Try to wrap your head around this:

The facebook ads were one part of the Russian attempts to meddle in the election.

The hacking of the DNC and other Democrats was another.

Trump (may have) worked with them is yet another facet to this.

Both of the first two points have been verified by our intel community.

The last is being investigated.

Forum List

Back