How is Russia's posting ads on Facebook tantamount to "meddling" in the U.S. election?

Well, hacking into someone's computer system is a crime, it's also espionage. How is that akin to "meddling" in an election? And we were hearing about how the Russians had "meddle" in our elections for well over a year and long, long before these indictments came down. So, I'll ask again, how is posting ads on Facebook tantamount to election interference?
Espionage in an effort to undermine the ELECTION campaign of a particular candidate is MEDDLING in an election campaign. If you don't even agree to that there is no point in having a conversation.
I have a problem with the assertion that knowledge undermines an election campaign.

Do you have a problem with misinformation funded by a foreign adversary undermining an election campaign?
I generally do not like misinformation regardless the source.

I agree with you. That's why I don't watch CNN. They're now an advocacy group for the Democratic Party. They will spoon-feed narratives rather than actually explaining the story, especially the WHOLE story.

Somehow you know this without watching them? Remarkable!

Espionage in an effort to undermine the ELECTION campaign of a particular candidate is MEDDLING in an election campaign. If you don't even agree to that there is no point in having a conversation.
I have a problem with the assertion that knowledge undermines an election campaign.

Do you have a problem with misinformation funded by a foreign adversary undermining an election campaign?

I agree with you. That's why I don't watch CNN. They're now an advocacy group for the Democratic Party. They will spoon-feed narratives rather than actually explaining the story, especially the WHOLE story.

Somehow you know this without watching them? Remarkable!

I read two of their articles today that were incomplete and didn't give the reader a complete and true understanding of what actually happened. I bet you won't be calling for them to be removed from the internet.

Nobody has to give you a megaphone and their bandwidth to broadcast it.

A point not in dispute. What it sounds like you are advocating for, is actively BANNING people from the proverbial "public square" of communication for saying things that you don't like. They have that in places like Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, Cuba, etc.

Well, hacking into someone's computer system is a crime, it's also espionage. How is that akin to "meddling" in an election? And we were hearing about how the Russians had "meddle" in our elections for well over a year and long, long before these indictments came down. So, I'll ask again, how is posting ads on Facebook tantamount to election interference?

Spreading knowledge then is one thing; spreading misinformation is another then; correct?
Spreading misinformation, undesirable as it may be, is not a crime. And knowledge can be gleaned from it regardless.

The crime, figuratively speaking, is with our inability to produce citizens with adequate cognitive abilities to discern the barrage of mis/disinformation that we are assaulted with on a daily basis. And that assault comes from within. It is easily exploitable by anyone with an inclination.

By blaming Russians you are running your own little misinformation campaign. They are not the problem, we are our own problem. And you are doing it for political purposes which is kind of fucked up in its own way.

It sounds like you [Candycorn] don't believe in the first amendment. It's not surprising. Many on the left do not. Yet, they call those of us on the right "fascist". LOL.
It seems you believe Facebook is a government entity. They call those of you on the right 'ignorant'.

Spreading knowledge then is one thing; spreading misinformation is another then; correct?
Spreading misinformation, undesirable as it may be, is not a crime. And knowledge can be gleaned from it.

The crime, figuratively speaking, is with our inability to produce citizens with adequate cognitive abilities to discern the barrage of mis/disinformation that we are assaulted with on a daily basis. And that assault comes from within. It is easily exploitable by anyone with an inclination.

By blaming Russians you are running your own little misinformation campaign. They are not the problem, we are our own problem.

The mandate of Mueller:

upload_2018-7-20_4-4-33.png

Investigating the "efforts to interfere". It need not be a "crime".

I think most reasonable people would blame the liar before they blame someone for believing the whopper. And, in fairness, if you look at the examples brought out by the House, there were some fact-based stories as well. The overall theme of this initiative was to sow discord.... The hacking is a different matter.

It sounds like you [Candycorn] don't believe in the first amendment. It's not surprising. Many on the left do not. Yet, they call those of us on the right "fascist". LOL.
It seems you believe Facebook is a government entity. They call those of you on the right 'ignorant'.

Correct.

Free speech is sacred.

I don't have the right to use Channel 15's production facilities. Are they anti-free speech too?

I cut the cable cord a long time ago. I will watch over air news broadcasts on occasion but I don't rely on it for information.

Nobody has to give you a megaphone and their bandwidth to broadcast it.

A point not in dispute. What it sounds like you are advocating for, is actively BANNING people from the proverbial "public square" of communication for saying things that you don't like. They have that in places like Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, Cuba, etc.

Well, I'd get my hearing checked if I were you.

It sounds like candycorn is advocating for arresting people that post untruthful things on the internet. Perhaps you share that sentiment.

It sounds like candycorn is advocating for arresting people that post untruthful things on the internet. Perhaps you share that sentiment.

Of course you can quote me as saying that...right?

Alright, then let me ask you. Should people who post false things on the internet be arrested?

Alright, then let me ask you. Should people who post false things on the internet be arrested?

No.

It seems to me that the claim that Russia "meddled" in our election is pretty much bullshit, unless you believe that posting ads on Facebook counts.
Read: Mueller indictment against 12 Russian spies for DNC hack
Seems to me these indictments are about more then posting facebook ads. In fact I don't believe facebook is even mentioned in this indictment. That was part of a different part of the effort.

ok so why aren't they bitching about China?

By blaming Russians you are running your own little misinformation campaign. They are not the problem, we are our own problem. And you are doing it for political purposes which is kind of fucked up in its own way.

candycorn doesn't seem to be concerned about things like truth and integrity. He hates Trump, therefore, ANY allegation against Trump is ok and he will parrot it for all to hear, and then he'll complain about the Russians parroting false information on Facebook. Yea, he's a hypocrite.

Forum List

Back