How is Russia's posting ads on Facebook tantamount to "meddling" in the U.S. election?

It seems to me that the claim that Russia "meddled" in our election is pretty much bullshit, unless you believe that posting ads on Facebook counts.
Read: Mueller indictment against 12 Russian spies for DNC hack
Seems to me these indictments are about more then posting facebook ads. In fact I don't believe facebook is even mentioned in this indictment. That was part of a different part of the effort.

Well, hacking into someone's computer system is a crime, it's also espionage. How is that akin to "meddling" in an election? And we were hearing about how the Russians had "meddle" in our elections for well over a year and long, long before these indictments came down. So, I'll ask again, how is posting ads on Facebook tantamount to election interference?
Espionage in an effort to undermine the ELECTION campaign of a particular candidate is MEDDLING in an election campaign. If you don't even agree to that there is no point in having a conversation.
I have a problem with the assertion that knowledge undermines an election campaign.

It seems to me that the claim that Russia "meddled" in our election is pretty much bullshit, unless you believe that posting ads on Facebook counts.
Seems to me these indictments are about more then posting facebook ads. In fact I don't believe facebook is even mentioned in this indictment. That was part of a different part of the effort.

Well, hacking into someone's computer system is a crime, it's also espionage. How is that akin to "meddling" in an election? And we were hearing about how the Russians had "meddle" in our elections for well over a year and long, long before these indictments came down. So, I'll ask again, how is posting ads on Facebook tantamount to election interference?
Espionage in an effort to undermine the ELECTION campaign of a particular candidate is MEDDLING in an election campaign. If you don't even agree to that there is no point in having a conversation.
I have a problem with the assertion that knowledge undermines an election campaign.

Do you have a problem with misinformation funded by a foreign adversary undermining an election campaign?

In no way is it a "first" that we subject foreign operative to our justice system.

When have we indicted foreign intelligence agents for computer hacking?

Not sure we have. I'm not sure we haven't.

Why?

I made a cursory search on Google. I didn't find any example of a foreign intelligence agent being indicted for cyber hacking. As I said, the indictments seem to be a precedent.

Normally we just kick each other's spies out of our country. We don't indict, prosecute and imprison them. Does the left want to abolish this agreement?

Do American intelligence agencies engage in cyber hacking? Does the left support handing them over to foreign governments that accuse them of engaging in such?

Do you have a problem with misinformation funded by a foreign adversary undermining an election campaign?

The internet is FULL of sites that report all sorts of nonsense. It's up to the reader to distinguish and discern what is truthful and what isn't. Are we to prosecute everyone who posts nonsense on the internet? There is a slew of liberal Facebook pages that post untruthful material non-stop, should those that do so be prosecuted and jailed? What about the first amendment?

In no way is it a "first" that we subject foreign operative to our justice system.

Why?

I made a cursory search on Google. I didn't find any example of a foreign intelligence agent being indicted for cyber hacking. As I said, the indictments seem to be a precedent.

Normally we just kick each other's spies out of our country. We don't indict, prosecute and imprison them. Does the left want to abolish this agreement?

Do American intelligence agencies engage in cyber hacking? Does the left support handing them over to foreign governments that accuse them of engaging in such?

I can't speak for the entire "left" but we certainly do imprison foreign spies as we are doing now. Well, if someone is hacking on their own, I would hope they would be handed over. If they are doing so to protect our national interest under orders from our elected officials...that is a different kettle of fish.

Much like it is much different if the Trump campaign worked with the hackers vs. us just getting hacked by the Russian federation. Given the multiple meetings with Russians during the campaign that this administration has lied about repeatedly, it is worth looking into. Which is what Mueller is doing.

The internet is FULL of sites that report all sorts of nonsense. It's up to the reader to distinguish and discern what is truthful and what isn't. Are we to prosecute everyone who posts nonsense on the internet? There is a slew of liberal Facebook pages that post untruthful material non-stop, should those that do so be prosecuted and jailed? What about the first amendment?

I feel that it is much different than some whackjob posting idiocy vs. a concerted, organized, and industrial scale effort done by a foreign adversary.

Why?

I can't speak for the entire "left" but we certainly do imprison foreign spies as we are doing now. Well, if someone is hacking on their own, I would hope they would be handed over. If they are doing so to protect our national interest under orders from our elected officials...that is a different kettle of fish.

Much like it is much different if the Trump campaign worked with the hackers vs. us just getting hacked by the Russian federation. Given the multiple meetings with Russians during the campaign that this administration has lied about repeatedly, it is worth looking into. Which is what Mueller is doing.

Mueller is a partisan Democrat who is out to overthrow Trump. That's what this is all about. If Hillary had won, so-called "Russian meddling" probably wouldn't have come up.

I feel that it is much different than some whackjob posting idiocy vs. a concerted, organized, and industrial scale effort done by a foreign adversary.

Spreading disinformation has existed since the beginning of time. The only reason it's being brought up now is because Hillary lost.

The principle of free speech is that we protect free speech, even speech that we find offensive. Do you support that principle?

Why?

Mueller is a partisan Democrat who is out to overthrow Trump. That's what this is all about. If Hillary had won, so-called "Russian meddling" probably wouldn't have come up.

Total garbage.

We probably would have a President who would like to get to the bottom of what happened and modernize/standardize or election apparatus, we probably would have a president who trusts the intel community, we definitely would have a president who didn't grovel at the feet of Putin like Trumpkin did last week....

I generally do not like misinformation regardless the source.

Spreading disinformation has existed since the beginning of time. The only reason it's being brought up now is because Hillary lost.

The principle of free speech is that we protect free speech, even speech that we find offensive. Do you support that principle?

Having free speech is great; it isn't the job of Facebook to give everyone a megaphone though. I wish they did a better job of isolating nonsense outlets like Breitbart and WND. Why these sites still have that little Facebook "hotlink" is disturbing. I have contacted FB about it numerous times.

Spreading knowledge then is one thing; spreading misinformation is another then; correct?

candycorn

Are you aware that Tony Podesta's lobbying firm represented Uranium One in the infamous sale to Russia during which time millions of dollars flowed from Russia into the Clinton Foundation? Are you aware that Tony's brother, John Podesta, will Hillary's campaign manager? Are you aware of reports that Mueller is allegedly offering Tony Podesta immunity in exchange for testimony against Paul Manafort?

Yea, there is a significant conspiracy among the corrupt current and former DOJ and FBI as well as Hillary and Obama to railroad Trump into either resigning or into being impeached.

You probably don't care because, after all, Trump is a Republican, right? But we're the "fascists", right?

Having free speech is great; it isn't the job of Facebook to give everyone a megaphone though. I wish they did a better job of isolating nonsense outlets like Breitbart and WND. Why these sites still have that little Facebook "hotlink" is disturbing. I have contacted FB about it numerous times.

It sounds like you don't believe in the first amendment. It's not surprising. Many on the left do not. Yet, they call those of us on the right "fascist". LOL.

I agree with you. That's why I don't watch CNN. They're now an advocacy group for the Democratic Party. They will spoon-feed narratives rather than actually explaining the story, especially the WHOLE story.

It sounds like you don't believe in the first amendment. It's not surprising. Many on the left do not. Yet, they call those of us on the right "fascist". LOL.

Hilarious. You can say anything you want. Nobody has to give you a megaphone and their bandwidth to broadcast it. If you can't understand the difference; I'm not surprised.

candycorn

Are you aware that Tony Podesta's lobbying firm represented Uranium One in the infamous sale to Russia during which time millions of dollars flowed from Russia into the Clinton Foundation? Are you aware that Tony's brother, John Podesta, will Hillary's campaign manager? Are you aware of reports that Mueller is allegedly offering Tony Podesta immunity in exchange for testimony against Paul Manafort?

Yea, there is a significant conspiracy among the corrupt current and former DOJ and FBI as well as Hillary and Obama to railroad Trump into either resigning or into being impeached.

You probably don't care because, after all, Trump is a Republican, right? But we're the "fascists", right?

Ok? I think you may be on the wrong thread....

Forum List

Back