Higher Consumption Taxes for Lower Income Taxes?

Higher Consumption Taxes for Lower Consumption Taxes

• Yes, I'd pay a higher sales tax for lower income taxes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, I want no national sales tax and will pay higher income taxes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I live in an alternative reality where taxes must always go down. I also own a unicorn.

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
As much as I have no use for EITHER tax system, I would prefer the lower income tax and a sales tax since it would mean I paid as little as possible in taxes.

Of course, what that would also mean is that I would not be making ANY unnecessary purchase, and would be buying the least expensive versions of whatever items I did need.... No more new clothes. Time to start buying ALL my clothes at Salvation Army. No more new cars, only used. No more name brand foods and definitely no eating out. No cell phones. No electronics. No cable tv. NOTHING taxable that is not 100% necessary to sustain life.

That's that is being debated in Congress.

Would you support paying a higher sales tax for paying lower income taxes?

Tax Proposals Would Move U.S. Closer to Global Norm - WSJ

No, some of us live in reality and there are many seniors who live on a fixed low income, and a higher sales tax will hurt them. We need a higher income tax , or should I say a higher tax bracket for the wealthy and make them pay more taxes. Inheritance tax capped at 500,000 and no charitable deductions allowed anymore to these fake non profit organizations. If they don't like it, more to India or SA or even Iran.

No, some of us live in reality and there are many seniors who live on a fixed low income, and a higher sales tax will hurt them. We need a higher income tax , or should I say a higher tax bracket for the wealthy and make them pay more taxes. Inheritance tax capped at 500,000 and no charitable deductions allowed anymore to these fake non profit organizations. If they don't like it, more to India or SA or even Iran.
You're an idiot. Like that's news here.
The high income people already pay over 100% of all federal income tax. The bottom 47% of wage earners pay less than zero in income tax (through earned income tax credits they get back more than they pay in). So that idea sucks.
No charitable deductions? You want to eliminate charity as a form of assistence? How progressive of you.

I would oppose the measure because history shows once you have both an income tax and a sales tax they both rise. Pols cannot keep their hands off any new source of revenue. They will find dozens of wonderful fantastic programs to buy people's votes and spending will rise with the new revenue. And it will never go down.
If they eliminated income tax and made it wholly sales tax that would be an improvement although Id still oppose it.

The high income people already pay over 100% of all federal income tax. The bottom 47% of wage earners pay less than zero in income tax (through earned income tax credits they get back more than they pay in). So that idea sucks.
No charitable deductions? You want to eliminate charity as a form of assistence? How progressive of you.

I would oppose the measure because history shows once you have both an income tax and a sales tax they both rise. Pols cannot keep their hands off any new source of revenue. They will find dozens of wonderful fantastic programs to buy people's votes and spending will rise with the new revenue. And it will never go down.
If they eliminated income tax and made it wholly sales tax that would be an improvement although Id still oppose it.

So no revenue-neutral tax reform under any circumstances? Keep as is?

No, the current system is terrible.
Move to a simple flat tax. No deductions but lower rates across the board. First $35k is exempt, after that everyone pays some percentage. It works in most of the former USSR.

we don't have a consumption tax AT ALL on the federal level, so I'm not certain how this consumption tax would be higher, when it does not even exist.

And the answer is NO, NO WAY JOSE would I agree to something like that....giving government an additional tax to tax us with is foolish imo.

And this puts more taxes on to the poorest, who spend all of their money on things they consume....

AND it could hurt the state's ability to use the sales tax for their govt needs....

It's a bad idea, all around imho.

No I want to end the fake non profit tax haven the elite create, saying they are charitable organizations. Give but no more tax havens. I'm sick of the rick elite giving to causes they like. They made their money off of us , so pay more taxes. We need a bigger middle class , not richer elites.

Trickle down economics is no longer valid. They can move if they don't like it.

The flat tax and getting rid of the IRS will just help the Rich keep their money.

How stupid our we? Put a ten dollar bill in each hand. Now, hand them over to Obama. Or, take the bill in your right hand and put it in your left hand and hand them over to Obama. What is the difference?
Our government believes that taxing us 100% is a viable option. Want to leave your life's work to your children? Forget it. Obama wants 68% of it, for now.
Obamacare is about to charge Ohio residents 30 million dollars a month.
We need a government that says, "If you like your money, you can keep your money." and mean it.

we don't have a consumption tax AT ALL on the federal level, so I'm not certain how this consumption tax would be higher, when it does not even exist.

And the answer is NO, NO WAY JOSE would I agree to something like that....giving government an additional tax to tax us with is foolish imo.

And this puts more taxes on to the poorest, who spend all of their money on things they consume....

AND it could hurt the state's ability to use the sales tax for their govt needs....

We do have federal consumption taxes on alcohol, tobacco, motor fuel, airline tickets, tires, and trucks

No, the current system is terrible.
Move to a simple flat tax. No deductions but lower rates across the board. First $35k is exempt, after that everyone pays some percentage. It works in most of the former USSR.

I'd rather see no deductions and a lower tax rate.

It makes no sense to me to exempt the tax on part of an income only to charge a higher rate on the rest

We do have federal consumption taxes on alcohol, tobacco, motor fuel, airline tickets, tires, and trucks
true, though it's not called that...

but a consumption tax like the rest of the world mentioned is on near everything and not just a handful of things that are ''sin taxed''....

You know what, I'm sick and tired of hearing about the poor, poor seniors. Senior citizens are the wealthiest age group in this country by far. It is the Millenials who are the poorest and yet we are ones paying for all of your greed.

Taxes should always be based on NEED, period. Local, state, and the federal government should collect only enough revenue to ensure the property operations and responsibilities of government. We need tax revenue for national security, streets, roads, highways, bridges, Social Security, education, law enforcement, the judicial system, national monuments and parks, agencies such as the USDA, FAA, FDA, OSHA, FBI, CIA, IRS, FTC, FCC, FEMA, natural disaster assistance, Medicare and Medicaid, veteran affairs, etc..

We do NOT need tax revenue for pork spending, foreign aid except in rare situations, subsidies, bailouts, government waste, bribes paid to foreign governments, stupid projects that waste tax dollars, price gouging government contractors, Medicare and Medicaid fraud and corruption, welfare fraud and corruption, ridiculous salaries and perks given to some government workers including members of Congress, senseless deadly costly wars, exploring the far reaches of the universe, etc..

We need to first look at waste, fraud, and corruption, before determining whether or not we should raise taxes. If we close tax loopholes, stop the hiding of money off-shore to avoid paying taxes, stop non-beneficial programs, and look for ways to save money and cut back on spending, we might find that we have enough tax revenue to meet the needs already. In addition, if we address the issue of producing tax revenue through a self-supporting citizenry, we just might find that we can lower taxes. It's no secret that a self-supporting citizenry produces enormous tax revenue, and yet we rarely discuss ways to reach that level.

You know what, I'm sick and tired of hearing about the poor, poor seniors. Senior citizens are the wealthiest age group in this country by far. It is the Millenials who are the poorest and yet we are ones paying for all of your greed.

Gee I must know the wrong ones.

I want to add, your right the Millennial are in a bad way, because where are the jobs, ask the elite where the jobs are. Don't think for a minute lowering taxes on them are going to bring back jobs, they only care about themselves.
I feel bad for young people today, (we still pay taxes though not retired) but we were able to get jobs.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back