What (who) makes up the GOP "base"?

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
Certainly the right wingers on here will respond that the 2014 elections "proves" that the majority of Americans are conservative-minded.......But a more poignant question remains: Who really makes up the republican base?

Is it the ever-growing minorities.....blacks, Hispanics/Latinos, Asian, American Indian?

Is it the increasingly vociferous gay and lesbian coalitions?

Is it the overwhelming majority of women voters who have heard ridiculous statements by white, older, male, right wing politicians state that women's abortion rights should be curbed, that rapes do not lead to pregnancies, and that equal work by women does not mean equal pay?

Sure, the conservative base is made up by Evangelical, religious zealots, tea sipping folks who are sometimes for and sometime against "libertarianism," and, of course, the wealthy conglomerates who try to fool the naive that they have common workers' best interests as a priority.

The above right wing base has done exceptionally well in mustering their voters to show up for local and state elections....but, given the poor (and sometime laughable) performance of elected right wingers, what are the real chances of this base EVER securing the WH when the somewhat saner voters show up for national elections?

You can't pigeon hole people. The "Republican base" or the "Democratic base" or "Conservatives" or "Liberals" are all made up of a diverse group of people. That's really contributing to the lack of constructive political dialogue in our nation.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Who makes up the GOP base? Intelligent people.

Too bad the lefties like you didn't qualify to join.

Actually, no. Unlike Rightie asswipes who write troll threads all the time, this thread actually asks a question and asks for input about a specific subject, namely, the composition of the GOP.

Sorry that you are frothing at the mouth too much to realize that, fake Rabbi.

You can't pigeon hole people. The "Republican base" or the "Democratic base" or "Conservatives" or "Liberals" are all made up of a diverse group of people. That's really contributing to the lack of constructive political dialogue in our nation.

Maybe only to a point, for each party does indeed rely on a "base" to start with in each election.

At the national level, it's the party that captures most of the middle that usually wins.

Certainly the right wingers on here will respond that the 2014 elections "proves" that the majority of Americans are conservative-minded.......But a more poignant question remains: Who really makes up the republican base?

Is it the ever-growing minorities.....blacks, Hispanics/Latinos, Asian, American Indian?

Is it the overwhelming majority of women voters who have heard ridiculous statements by white, older, male, right wing politicians state that women's abortion rights should be curbed, that rapes do not lead to pregnancies, and that equal work by women does not mean equal pay?

Sure, the conservative base is made up by Evangelical, religious zealots, tea sipping folks who are sometimes for and sometime against "libertarianism," and, of course, the wealthy conglomerates who try to fool the naive that they have common workers' best interests as a priority.

The above right wing base has done exceptionally well in mustering their voters to show up for local and state elections....but, given the poor (and sometime laughable) performance of elected right wingers, what are the real chances of this base EVER securing the WH when the somewhat saner voters show up for national elections?
Who makes up the GOP base? Patriots who are concerned with the direction our country is going. Look at the polls.

I don't think all evangelicals belong to the GOP's base. Some of them are not openly advocating the inferiority of non-white people.

For those right wingers who are "comprehension-challenged"....let me just repeat the more important question stated in the O/P.....

".....what are the real chances of this [GOP] base EVER securing the WH when the somewhat saner voters show up for national elections?..."

Who makes up the GOP base? Patriots who are concerned with the direction our country is going. Look at the polls.

If I place TWO American flags on my porch on July 4th, does that make me "doubly" more patriotic than you?

For those right wingers who are "comprehension-challenged"....let me just repeat the more important question stated in the O/P.....

".....what are the real chances of this [GOP] base EVER securing the WH when the somewhat saner voters show up for national elections?..."

It's a question they cast a blind eye to, thinking that a +6% margin in the 2014 HOR mid-terms with a measly 36% voter-turnout somehow means that they are heading for presidential landslides - is, well, laughable.

If the GOP does not make considerable inroads into the Latino vote and keep Hillary at +12 to +13 in the Women's vote, then it will lose. Not only that, the White vote is likely to go down a tick again in 2016, it has gone downward in every election since those metrics have been recorded. The White Vote was 72% in 2012, the GOP hoped for 75%. It is likely to be at 70% in 2016, which means that the GOP will have to landslide even bigger in the White Vote just to have a fighting chance to not go under 46% or so.

It's a question they cast a blind eye to, thinking that a +6% margin in the 2014 HOR mid-terms with a measly 36% voter-turnout somehow means that they are heading for presidential landslides - is, well, laughable.

If the GOP does not make considerable inroads into the Latino vote and keep Hillary at +12 to +13 in the Women's vote, then it will lose. Not only that, the White vote is likely to go down a tick again in 2016, it has gone downward in every election since those metrics have been recorded. The White Vote was 72% in 2012, the GOP hoped for 75%. It is likely to be at 70% in 2016, which means that the GOP will have to landslide even bigger in the White Vote just to have a fighting chance to not go under 46% or so.
I disagree. After the abomination of the last 2 elections, I think we're looking at 75% white voter turn out and maybe 40% black.

Maybe only to a point, for each party does indeed rely on a "base" to start with in each election.

At the national level, it's the party that captures most of the middle that usually wins.

Yeah, I agree with that. But even among "the base" I think there is a good bit of diversity.

Forum List

Back