Higher Consumption Taxes for Lower Income Taxes?

Higher Consumption Taxes for Lower Consumption Taxes

• Yes, I'd pay a higher sales tax for lower income taxes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, I want no national sales tax and will pay higher income taxes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I live in an alternative reality where taxes must always go down. I also own a unicorn.

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
That's that is being debated in Congress.

Would you support paying a higher sales tax for paying lower income taxes?

Tax Proposals Would Move U.S. Closer to Global Norm - WSJ
we don't have a consumption tax AT ALL on the federal level, so I'm not certain how this consumption tax would be higher, when it does not even exist.

And the answer is NO, NO WAY JOSE would I agree to something like that....giving government an additional tax to tax us with is foolish imo.

And this puts more taxes on to the poorest, who spend all of their money on things they consume....

AND it could hurt the state's ability to use the sales tax for their govt needs....

It's a bad idea, all around imho.
We do have federal consumption taxes on alcohol, tobacco, motor fuel, airline tickets, tires, and trucks
Thank you for saving me the trouble!

For all the "policy" that is dicussed over this issue at then end of the day for most people its about -- which will force me to pay less? That's all.

Cruz' flat tax file your taxes on a postcard proposal is lifted right from Ronald Reagan (who may have taken it from someone else for all I know). Reagan advocated tax simplicity and a simple flat tax for years before he was elected President. Of course he never got there but he did move more towards it with his tax cut bill. The best thing about it would be a significant reduction of Washington DC influence over the economy. No tax breaks for this or that favorite industry / cause / whatever
Big tax prep corporations will never allow a simple form of taxation.

Think about it, most people have all their income reported to the IRS, and should simply get a letter in February telling them what they owe or what their refund will be.

Would that chap the asses of H&R Block et al or what???

I say that anyone receiving a bonus in addition to a salary (which is a corporate gift/bribe) should turn over 75% to the Federal Government when over 20,000.

Republicans who have a contempt for basic arithmetic have wet dreams over the Flat Tax.

The problem is that every economic study shows that we'd have to make up trillions in revenue losses and that it would serve as a tax increase on the middle class, students, seniors and the working poor.

I want low consumption taxes and a more fair tax code that eliminates tax loopholes we can no longer afford to give the entitled few (even conservative economists favor this), a capital gains tax that is no lower than the average percentage a middle class person makes (around 20%, so a modest increase upwards) and incomes over $1 billion to be taxed roughly 3% higher than the highest tax bracket presently, so about 42%.

If we want civilization, we have to pay for it. At a certain point in adulthood you have grow up and realize that you can't play policeman to the world and finance a successful superpower domestically by hoping tax cuts or the freedom fairy will pay for them.

Raising sales tax would be stupid, as it would force businesses to charge more for goods and services, and make businesses sack staff to make up for the lost revenue - from the economic slowdown that such a sales tax hike would create.

Even an income tax hike is better than a sales tax hike, as at least you aren't increasing expenses for every business and individual in America overnight.

Republicans who have a contempt for basic arithmetic have wet dreams over the Flat Tax.

The problem is that every economic study shows that we'd have to make up trillions in revenue losses and that it would serve as a tax increase on the middle class, students, seniors and the working poor.

I want low consumption taxes and a more fair tax code that eliminates tax loopholes we can no longer afford to give the entitled few (even conservative economists favor this), a capital gains tax that is no lower than the average percentage a middle class person makes (around 20%, so a modest increase upwards) and incomes over $1 billion to be taxed roughly 3% higher than the highest tax bracket presently, so about 42%.

If we want civilization, we have to pay for it. At a certain point in adulthood you have grow up and realize that you can't play policeman to the world and finance a successful superpower domestically by hoping tax cuts or the freedom fairy will pay for them.
LINK?????

That is patently idiotic. Maybe a flat tax at 5% would cost trillions in lost revenue, but without stating a rate, no study would say what you claim. Economists are stupid, but not THAT stupid.

Who would benefit from a sales tax replacing some of the income tax?

Not the 47% who already pay a net zero in federal income taxes. This would be a tax increase for them since they're already as low as you can go with rates.

Additionally millions of households paying some income tax but not a lot would probably also get hit if the sales tax cost them more than any income tax cut saved them.

Obviously, the higher income brackets would benefit most from this change.

Not the 47% who already pay a net zero in federal income taxes. This would be a tax increase for them since they're already as low as you can go with rates.

Additionally millions of households paying some income tax but not a lot would probably also get hit if the sales tax cost them more than any income tax cut saved them.

Yeah we cant have those working people actually paying taxes, ya know.

As long as you agree I'm right. These plans would be a tax increase for lower income Americans and a tax cut for higher income Americans.

As would the flat tax.

As long as you agree I'm right. These plans would be a tax increase for lower income Americans and a tax cut for higher income Americans.

As would the flat tax.

So when do the people who pay no taxes start paying their "fair share"?

Sorry but anyone who has been getting a free ride that has to start paying their way will experience a tax increase.

And so what if they do?

IMO it's about time

As would the flat tax.

So when do the people who pay no taxes start paying their "fair share"?

Sorry but anyone who has been getting a free ride that has to start paying their way will experience a tax increase.

And so what if they do?

IMO it's about time

Well, then round up all the politicians you can who will go on record supporting raising taxes on the poorer and cutting taxes on the richer,

and will say so without any double talk,

and get them to run for office.

Forum List

Back