Higher Consumption Taxes for Lower Income Taxes?

Higher Consumption Taxes for Lower Consumption Taxes

• Yes, I'd pay a higher sales tax for lower income taxes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, I want no national sales tax and will pay higher income taxes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I live in an alternative reality where taxes must always go down. I also own a unicorn.

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
How are we going to maintain the Empire when people stop buying stuff because of higher sales taxes?

That's that is being debated in Congress.

Would you support paying a higher sales tax for paying lower income taxes?

Tax Proposals Would Move U.S. Closer to Global Norm - WSJ

No, some of us live in reality and there are many seniors who live on a fixed low income, and a higher sales tax will hurt them. We need a higher income tax , or should I say a higher tax bracket for the wealthy and make them pay more taxes. Inheritance tax capped at 500,000 and no charitable deductions allowed anymore to these fake non profit organizations. If they don't like it, more to India or SA or even Iran.
You're an idiot. Like that's news here.
The high income people already pay over 100% of all federal income tax. The bottom 47% of wage earners pay less than zero in income tax (through earned income tax credits they get back more than they pay in). So that idea sucks.
No charitable deductions? You want to eliminate charity as a form of assistence? How progressive of you.

I would oppose the measure because history shows once you have both an income tax and a sales tax they both rise. Pols cannot keep their hands off any new source of revenue. They will find dozens of wonderful fantastic programs to buy people's votes and spending will rise with the new revenue. And it will never go down.
If they eliminated income tax and made it wholly sales tax that would be an improvement although Id still oppose it.

So no revenue-neutral tax reform under any circumstances? Keep as is?
No, the current system is terrible.
Move to a simple flat tax. No deductions but lower rates across the board. First $35k is exempt, after that everyone pays some percentage. It works in most of the former USSR.

I'd rather see no deductions and a lower tax rate.

It makes no sense to me to exempt the tax on part of an income only to charge a higher rate on the rest
It makes sense because it gives pols the ability to distribute largesse.

No, some of us live in reality and there are many seniors who live on a fixed low income, and a higher sales tax will hurt them. We need a higher income tax , or should I say a higher tax bracket for the wealthy and make them pay more taxes. Inheritance tax capped at 500,000 and no charitable deductions allowed anymore to these fake non profit organizations. If they don't like it, more to India or SA or even Iran.
The high income people already pay over 100% of all federal income tax. The bottom 47% of wage earners pay less than zero in income tax (through earned income tax credits they get back more than they pay in). So that idea sucks.
No charitable deductions? You want to eliminate charity as a form of assistence? How progressive of you.

I would oppose the measure because history shows once you have both an income tax and a sales tax they both rise. Pols cannot keep their hands off any new source of revenue. They will find dozens of wonderful fantastic programs to buy people's votes and spending will rise with the new revenue. And it will never go down.
If they eliminated income tax and made it wholly sales tax that would be an improvement although Id still oppose it.

No I want to end the fake non profit tax haven the elite create, saying they are charitable organizations. Give but no more tax havens. I'm sick of the rick elite giving to causes they like. They made their money off of us , so pay more taxes. We need a bigger middle class , not richer elites.

Trickle down economics is no longer valid. They can move if they don't like it.

The flat tax and getting rid of the IRS will just help the Rich keep their money.

None of the very very rich are paying anywhere close to their rate, but a national sales tax and nothing else would be nothing less than class warfare by the very very rich.

It wouldn't matter in the long run regarding whining about paying too much.

Many businesses are sales tax exempt. How would that work?

Right , they collect sales tax and send it in, so it would not hurt businesses.
Because higher prices dont affect sales, right?

That isn't what I was referring to. There are many business that are exempt from paying sales taxes on their purchases. They are granted these exemptions by the state that wants to lure them into opening the business in their state. The same thing would more than likely extend to federal sales tax.

If a business is sales tax exempt that means the business does not pay sales taxes.

If a customer buys a taxable item from them the business collects the sales tax from the customer and sends it in to the government monthly.

IOW businesses are forced to work as tax agents for the government at their own expense

That isn't what I was referring to. There are many business that are exempt from paying sales taxes on their purchases. They are granted these exemptions by the state that wants to lure them into opening the business in their state. The same thing would more than likely extend to federal sales tax.
Not necessarily.

When you put money into a 401 it is only the federal taxes that are deferred not the state.

Federal and state sales taxes can have different rules on exemptions

The federal tax would not be waived. The state and local tax still could.

For all the "policy" that is dicussed over this issue at then end of the day for most people its about -- which will force me to pay less? That's all.

Cruz' flat tax file your taxes on a postcard proposal is lifted right from Ronald Reagan (who may have taken it from someone else for all I know). Reagan advocated tax simplicity and a simple flat tax for years before he was elected President. Of course he never got there but he did move more towards it with his tax cut bill. The best thing about it would be a significant reduction of Washington DC influence over the economy. No tax breaks for this or that favorite industry / cause / whatever

How do you know this?

Taxes on Actual Economic Activity is 100 percent better than Taxes on Economic Potential.

Bring back Tariffs too. Charge Foreign Countries a Tax for the Privilege of accessing our Economy.

How do you know this?

I don't. I'm assuming. That's how it works in other countries.

It wouldn't affect the competitiveness of regions since everyone would be on the same playing field per a national sales tax. Localities could still offer tax incentives.

How do you know this?

I don't. I'm assuming. That's how it works in other countries.

It wouldn't affect the competitiveness of regions since everyone would be on the same playing field per a national sales tax. Localities could still offer tax incentives.
Mmmkay, you have the faith all evidence to the contrary that the US doesn't bend over for business.

No I want to end the fake non profit tax haven the elite create, saying they are charitable organizations. Give but no more tax havens. I'm sick of the rick elite giving to causes they like. They made their money off of us , so pay more taxes. We need a bigger middle class , not richer elites.

Trickle down economics is no longer valid. They can move if they don't like it.

The flat tax and getting rid of the IRS will just help the Rich keep their money.
Are you in favour of taxing the Clinton Foundation and the Bill Gates foundation, or, only RW organizations?

Forum List

Back