Healthy eating for kids

Which is fine, you made that decision. But not everyone is you, not everyone has so much will power, not everyone has similar thoughts.

I grew up around people with mental problems. 1/4 of all people have some kind of mental problem and for some people this manifests itself in binge eating.. I knew a woman who was bulimic and lost a child because of it.

What you are suggesting is that because YOU did something, everyone else should also be able to do it as easily as you did, and therefore nothing should ever happen. The problem is, other people aren't you.
25% of people have mental problems that result in binge eating

Care to prove that?

FYI my mother was a bipolar wack job. But I don't use that as an excuse for my behavior as an adult

No, I don't care to prove that. You've just made it sound like ALL 25% of people end up binge eating because of mental problems. I didn't say that, so I don't care to prove something you said.

then just prove that 25% of the population has diagnosable mental illness

And that doesn't need to be proven either. It has no bearing on this topic whatsoever.
so you can state anything you want and just say it doesn't have to be proven

So, you're intent on taking this topic to places it doesn't need to go?

I couldn't give a shit whether you think 25% have mental problems or not. It doesn't change this topic one little bit.

Wait, I didn't say that ALL PEOPLE will be manipulated and controlled, but the MAJORITY of people will be.

And that would be the same MAJORITY that elects the government, right?

Part of it, yes. What's your point?

Well, you seem to be approaching the problem from the perspective that people don't know what's good for them, and that government should step in and correct them when they stray from the "One True Path™". But if the people so easily manipulated and controlled are picking our leaders, where does that leave us? Trumpistan?

Not really.

The only things I'm calling for are better education and a policy of making healthy food more appealing in terms of price. I'm not saying people should stop eating crap, I'm saying they should be informed about what they're eating, and they should find that healthy foods and not sugary foods, should be the ones that are cheaper.

I get it, you prefer that Coca-Cola and Pepsi receive billions in tax refunds and other money, but I don't.

And once again it is always cheaper to eat real food.

Opinion | Is Junk Food Really Cheaper?

Yes, if, of course, you have the time to cook.

The poorest in society are often the ones with the most change of being single parents families. The right want such people to work 80 hours a week just to make ends meet, and THEN demand they cook healthy nutritious food for their kids every night whole checking their homework.... yeah right....

They can teach it but why do you think that will make people actually do it?

The government spends millions a year on their stupid food pyramid and promoting that (which is all wrong btw) and people are still fat.

and the government should not be helping ANY private business thrive.

And there is no way supermarkets will stop carrying fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables and no mass produced boxed food is healthy so your "o called "good food companies" do not exist

There's teaching and there's TEACHING. But it's not a matter of making people actually do it. It's a matter of making a percentage of people think that it's the right thing to do. You're never going to change the attitude of everyone, it's not what it's about. It's about doing enough to have said that you have done enough to make a difference.

Yes, the govt and their stupid food pyramid. Here we come across the same problem that pervades every area of politics. The government. And don't get me wrong, I understand your mistrust of the US govt. The point I have made many times is the US govt is out of control and needs to change. First it has to change, THEN the things I'm talking about could be implemented. But we're mostly talking about healthy eating here rather than the change in the way people vote to get rid of the partisan politics. It's theoretical, because we know the US govt doesn't give a fuck about any single person other than the politicians and their pockets.

Well, good food companies do exist, they're just not massive companies receiving massive tax cuts.

So that's the issue in the US. The people are controlled by the large companies who control the govt too, and the govt and large companies spend a shit load of money telling people how to think and too many people are so docile that they just accept this, which means they vote for who they're told to vote for, which means govt is how govt wants it to be, and then every issue we deal with, guns, abortion or the other partisan topics, or the real issues like education, healthy eating, mental health, crime, the economy, they're all tainted by the bullshit of politics. And no one is willing to stand up to that, and so all the other issues are just theoretical.
so what percentage of people don't know that ice cream, cake, cookies, candy, chips and soda aren't as healthy as fruits, veggies and lean meats?

SO what percentage of people don't know that sugar decreases memory and attention spans, causes hyperactivity, robs the body of vitamins and minerals, makes you vulnerable to yeast overgrowth, can lead to chronic nasal congestion, eczema, ear infections, sensory integration disorders, high pain thresholds?

THIS is what I'm talking about.

If people already know that fruits and veggie are better for them than candy ( and everyone already knows this) it doesn't matter if they don't know all the physiological effects of sugar

Actually it makes a massive difference. This is what made the difference for me to stop eating sugary things.

Many people will eat sugar and think it only affects their waistline, without realizing that it has a far worse impact on their brain.

For kids, this is massively important. Kids study but then end up being pumped full of sugar, and then what? Parents don't think some sugar as a reward for studying, or just as a normal thing will have that impact. They simply don't know.

No you think it makes a difference

Remember the old this is your brain on drugs PSAs?

Those didn't work either.

25% of people have mental problems that result in binge eating

Care to prove that?

FYI my mother was a bipolar wack job. But I don't use that as an excuse for my behavior as an adult

No, I don't care to prove that. You've just made it sound like ALL 25% of people end up binge eating because of mental problems. I didn't say that, so I don't care to prove something you said.

And that doesn't need to be proven either. It has no bearing on this topic whatsoever.

I couldn't give a shit whether you think 25% have mental problems or not. It doesn't change this topic one little bit.

Whoa there , Corky

YOU'RE the one who said 25% of people have mental problems not me

Well, you seem to be approaching the problem from the perspective that people don't know what's good for them, and that government should step in and correct them when they stray from the "One True Path™". But if the people so easily manipulated and controlled are picking our leaders, where does that leave us? Trumpistan?

Not really.

The only things I'm calling for are better education and a policy of making healthy food more appealing in terms of price. I'm not saying people should stop eating crap, I'm saying they should be informed about what they're eating, and they should find that healthy foods and not sugary foods, should be the ones that are cheaper.

I get it, you prefer that Coca-Cola and Pepsi receive billions in tax refunds and other money, but I don't.

The poorest in society are often the ones with the most change of being single parents families. The right want such people to work 80 hours a week just to make ends meet, and THEN demand they cook healthy nutritious food for their kids every night whole checking their homework.... yeah right....

Cut the crap you have time to cook if you want to.

You can cook just a couple times a week and prepare food for all the other days too

you really should start an excuse factory you'd be a millionaire in a week

People will try to manipulate and control like you do but not all people will be manipulated and controlled.

Only those that choose to be will be

Wait, I didn't say that ALL PEOPLE will be manipulated and controlled, but the MAJORITY of people will be.

Not really.

So who gets to decide which food is "healthy", and what it's price should be?

What you don't get is that Coca-Cola and Pepsi are also calling for better education and a policy of making healthy food more appealing in terms of price. They just have a different ideas about what kinds of food should government should be promoting. And they have more lobbyists than you. How do you plan to get around that? Have a vote? Keep in mind what you pointed out earlier - that the majority of those voters are easily manipulated and 'controlled' by media.

Actually it makes a massive difference. This is what made the difference for me to stop eating sugary things.

Many people will eat sugar and think it only affects their waistline, without realizing that it has a far worse impact on their brain.

For kids, this is massively important. Kids study but then end up being pumped full of sugar, and then what? Parents don't think some sugar as a reward for studying, or just as a normal thing will have that impact. They simply don't know.

Preach it brother! Sugar is de debil!

Actually it is - in the quantities we Americans consume it. A vital first step would be to limit the use of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program funds to the purchase of fresh and frozen fruits and veggies, proteins and basic foodstuffs - rice, beans, etc.

Secondly - eliminate empty carbs from school breakfast and lunch programs. Many lower income kids are on free or reduced meals and only eat supper at home. This is one area where I supported the former first lady. We don't have to offer bean sprouts and tofu - but fresh fruits and/or vegetables should be available at each meal...and simple, baked not breaded proteins. Anything that can be loaded up with additional veggies is good - even pizza...maybe especially pizza, once a week. However fresher foods are more costly, and generally take longer to prep.

Only a start -

What does that mean? Do you mean that Americans want to choose to be fat and ugly? Why is that?

Don't know and don't care why

But unless you say that some outside unseen power is force feeding people so as to make them fat then choice is the only answer

How can you not care? Imagine, with every shapely girl going fat, our chances to meet a real girl goes down by 1 %. Why do women want to become men then?
I'm very happily married to a little red haired bombshell

OMG Can you count to 75? With 75 % percent national obesity, you have 75 % LESS chance to find a red bombshell.
I already found one so I don't care if all the other girls are fat

So you don't care? This is why America gets more and more degenerated every year. But here is a kicker for you then. When she finds out that she is the only girl left in the country and all the men end up looking at her as a result, then how long will you keep up with the competitions? Hehehe.

Actually it is - in the quantities we Americans consume it. A vital first step would be to limit the use of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program funds to the purchase of fresh and frozen fruits and veggies, proteins and basic foodstuffs - rice, beans, etc.

Secondly - eliminate empty carbs from school breakfast and lunch programs. Many lower income kids are on free or reduced meals and only eat supper at home. This is one area where I supported the former first lady. We don't have to offer bean sprouts and tofu - but fresh fruits and/or vegetables should be available at each meal...and simple, baked not breaded proteins. Anything that can be loaded up with additional veggies is good - even pizza...maybe especially pizza, once a week. However fresher foods are more costly, and generally take longer to prep.

Only a start -

Yeah this is the disconnect when it comes to nazi food regulation practices...

If it's their ONLY meal, why would you feed kids LOW CALORIE foods? It's idiotic.

And what people forget about the snap program...it's run by the Dept. of Agriculture. Our snap program was created under the auspices of helping those who produce, as well as those who consume, food. Yes, it was stupid, but there you have it. Government control of production AND distribution. My point is, they get hung up when they try to prevent certain producers (think sugar beet farmers) from benefiting from the snap program. It has been tried before. They can't do it.

If it's their ONLY meal, why would you feed kids LOW CALORIE foods? It's idiotic.

Eliminating empty carbs is not synonymous with low calorie. Spent 27 years in the school system, elementary and special ed...and raised three children. Very few kids ate only one meal at school - most had breakfast and lunch, the rest had breakfast at home (while some had a 2nd breakfast at school).

Unfortunately too many of the offerings were highly processed and loaded with sugar, salt and yes, tasty, but empty carbs. Not much cooking goes on in school kitchens any more (speaking for my county only).

It is possible to prepare visually attractive food with high nutritional value. I'm referring to the public school system, the one supported by our tax dollars - that's not being a food Nazi - that's demanding a good value for our investment. - a pipe dream, I know. ;) Same with modifications to snap.

Don't know and don't care why

But unless you say that some outside unseen power is force feeding people so as to make them fat then choice is the only answer

How can you not care? Imagine, with every shapely girl going fat, our chances to meet a real girl goes down by 1 %. Why do women want to become men then?

OMG Can you count to 75? With 75 % percent national obesity, you have 75 % LESS chance to find a red bombshell.

So you don't care? This is why America gets more and more degenerated every year. But here is a kicker for you then. When she finds out that she is the only girl left in the country and all the men end up looking at her as a result, then how long will you keep up with the competitions? Hehehe.

Tell me what should I do to make other people eat better?

Should I send the governemnt food police into their homes?
Should I watch everything they choose to eat 24/7/365?

People choose to eat what they eat I don't make them fat I can't make them thin

and there will always be hot girls in this country so even though you'll never get one at least you can still look

Only a start -
eliminate the school food programs completely

we didn't have them when I was a kid

Bring your own PB & J to school

Tell me what should I do to make other people eat better?

Should I send the governemnt food police into their homes?
Should I watch everything they choose to eat 24/7/365?

People choose to eat what they eat I don't make them fat I can't make them thin

and there will always be hot girls in this country so even though you'll never get one at least you can still look

No, America has no hot girls any more. And what you can do is to vote for a politician who would remove the pre existing condition from ACA and private insurances. When you take away the money of the fatso, they lose their incentive for it.

eliminate the school food programs completely

we didn't have them when I was a kid

Bring your own PB & J to school

How old are you anyway? :biggrin:

Having lived through 13 presidents I didn't think any one could be older than me - and we had school lunches way back then too. Tho'...it was mostly raw pterodactyl wings and brontosaurus tenders.

There's teaching and there's TEACHING. But it's not a matter of making people actually do it. It's a matter of making a percentage of people think that it's the right thing to do. You're never going to change the attitude of everyone, it's not what it's about. It's about doing enough to have said that you have done enough to make a difference.

Yes, the govt and their stupid food pyramid. Here we come across the same problem that pervades every area of politics. The government. And don't get me wrong, I understand your mistrust of the US govt. The point I have made many times is the US govt is out of control and needs to change. First it has to change, THEN the things I'm talking about could be implemented. But we're mostly talking about healthy eating here rather than the change in the way people vote to get rid of the partisan politics. It's theoretical, because we know the US govt doesn't give a fuck about any single person other than the politicians and their pockets.

Well, good food companies do exist, they're just not massive companies receiving massive tax cuts.

So that's the issue in the US. The people are controlled by the large companies who control the govt too, and the govt and large companies spend a shit load of money telling people how to think and too many people are so docile that they just accept this, which means they vote for who they're told to vote for, which means govt is how govt wants it to be, and then every issue we deal with, guns, abortion or the other partisan topics, or the real issues like education, healthy eating, mental health, crime, the economy, they're all tainted by the bullshit of politics. And no one is willing to stand up to that, and so all the other issues are just theoretical.
so what percentage of people don't know that ice cream, cake, cookies, candy, chips and soda aren't as healthy as fruits, veggies and lean meats?

SO what percentage of people don't know that sugar decreases memory and attention spans, causes hyperactivity, robs the body of vitamins and minerals, makes you vulnerable to yeast overgrowth, can lead to chronic nasal congestion, eczema, ear infections, sensory integration disorders, high pain thresholds?

THIS is what I'm talking about.

If people already know that fruits and veggie are better for them than candy ( and everyone already knows this) it doesn't matter if they don't know all the physiological effects of sugar

No you think it makes a difference

Remember the old this is your brain on drugs PSAs?

Those didn't work either.

No, I KNOW it makes a difference. Why? Because I've seen it make a difference. It might not make a difference to everyone, but it will make the difference to some people.

Whoa there , Corky

Yes I did. And I stand by that, but you're trying to make an issue out of fucking nothing. Again, whether you believe there are 25%, 10%, 5%, 95% of people with mental problems makes no fucking difference. Drop it. Get back to the fucking topic and stop trying to score points with something you think you can "win".

Not really.

Cut the crap you have time to cook if you want to.

You can cook just a couple times a week and prepare food for all the other days too

you really should start an excuse factory you'd be a millionaire in a week

And you seem to think that just because something can be done, that it will be done. Yeah, you could only get 6 hours sleep a night and cook healthy meals for your kids instead.

Get real. People who work 80 hours a week, have you ever worked 80 hours a week on your feet? I've done over 60 hours a week in a job where I had to be standing all the time, and when I went home I was shattered, I sat on the sofa watching TV, I hardly ever watch TV.

You're the one who seems to think every human being is a super fucking human, that has unlimited power to do things.

When people are tired, they don't want to go around cooking, especially if they've been working 10 hours or more a day.

Only a start -

I disagree with your first point. Why do you need some kind of program to do this?

It's quite simple.

stop giving multinationals tax breaks.

Two of the top 5 food and beverage companies in the US are Coca-Cola and Pepsi and they're probably paying no tax, probably get subsidies to keep their factories in certain places and the like. Their products are cheap because they're overly competitive. This is wrong.

Give tax breaks to those who produce food that is healthy. Simple. It will lower the costs.

Food at school should be healthy. Kids are getting free food, and yes, it should taste good, but it shouldn't be full of sugar. Problem is no one is willing to spend money on such things, they prefer to spend it on wars.

Whoa there , Corky

Yes I did. And I stand by that, but you're trying to make an issue out of fucking nothing. Again, whether you believe there are 25%, 10%, 5%, 95% of people with mental problems makes no fucking difference. Drop it. Get back to the fucking topic and stop trying to score points with something you think you can "win".
what I believe has nothing to do with anything

you state that 25% of the population has mental problems like it's a fact and you won't back it up

That does matter

Forum List

Back