Healthy eating for kids

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014
Mom Goes Off On School After Learning Why They Threw Away Her Son’s Packed Lunch

Okay, this thread is not about the school throwing the school lunch away.

What this thread is about is the knowledge of parents to feed their kids healthily, and the need for education to educate students in how to eat healthily so when they are adults they don't make these sorts of mistakes.

The first thing is that whenever talking about eating healthily a lot of people on the right will say that everyone knows that sugar is bad. Fine, everyone knows that sugar is bad. But then again how does this then get into their brain and affect how they think?

"he was told he could not eat a piece of banana bread he had brought to school as a snack because it contained chocolate chips."

The first part I will bring up is that this banana bread that this kid had contained chocolate chips.

“It’s not like he had chips or a chocolate bar,” The mom says,

The second part is the mother's attitude that this banana bread which contained chocolate, probably quite a bit of sugar too, but the mother said "It's not like he had chips or a chocolate bar", well, no, it is like he had chips or a chocolate bar, actually.

This is the most worrying thing.

"she bought banana bread because they were labeled as being nut-free and safe for school children."

Oh, what? She bought the bread because it said it's "safe for children", what? What does "safe for children" mean? It won't kill them instantly? This is how easily manipulated people are.

Then the last part is "Brangman claims she felt “it was more unhealthy for a child not to eat at all, than to eat a granola bar with chocolate.”"

Well, actually it would be better for parents to take control of what their kids are eating. They stuff them full of sugar, get them addicted to sugar, use sugar as rewards, use them when their kids are going nuts, and then the kids demand to have sugar and refuse to eat other stuff. Bad parenting.

The point about manipulation brings me to this:

California woman sues Jelly Belly Candy claiming beans were full of sugar

This thread doesn't concern whether you think this woman suing this company is right or wrong.

"Jessica Gomez filed a federal class-action lawsuit against the Fairfield, Calif.-based candy company in March, claiming they mislabeled sugar on the product’s list of ingredients. She is asking for damages, restitution and a court order demanding the company end “fraudulent practices.”"

"According to Gomez’s attorneys, the company lists “evaporated cane juice” as an ingredient instead of sugar “to make the product appear even more appropriate for athletes and less like a candy.”"

Companies are all too ready to mislead consumers. Sure, a person who is knowledgeable about things would soon catch on that there is sugar. But there are millions of people who just aren't knowledgeable, don't take the time to find things out, and will end up being manipulated by these companies.

"evaporated cane juice" is just bullshit. It's sugar, and a company has an obligation to write the ingredients as they are, not how they want to present them.

People know sugar is bad, but they'll end up stuffing so much more sugar into their kids's mouths than they think they are doing because they simply don't take the time to learn about healthy eating.

So it's time for education to EDUCATED kids. The problem is, the govt fund education and it also seems to want large companies to sell their crap to the people, because politicians aren't looking out for the interests of the people.

Send the school a bill for the lunch.

Explain to them that if they ever again throw away YOUR property you will have them standing before a judge as private individuals to show cause.

Don't allow them to hide behind their agency.

Like it or not, it's not the school's job or responsibility to make food choices for kids that bring their food from home. That is up to the parent to make those decisions. The only thing the school should have any say over, is what they provide.

While the school has your kid they (the teachers & principal) are responsible for your kid.

While I don't think chocolate is a big deal it clearly is not good for you, no question.

But it is popular.

The PTA should have something to say about this, but otherwise it is not something that should rise to the level of the school board.

Since it could (rise to the level of the school board) I am surprised that the teachers and principal took the risk.

Easier just to let little Johnny and Susie eat what their momma gives them, even if momma is a useless skank.

Like it or not, it's not the school's job or responsibility to make food choices for kids that bring their food from home. That is up to the parent to make those decisions. The only thing the school should have any say over, is what they provide.

Shouldn't the school at least teach the children at length what food is good and bad for them? I mean the school teaching. Like teaching is what schools are invented for.

We sponsor bad food, because we insure for their consequences. Shouldn't a person lose his health insurance if eating unhealthy? I mean you can lose your car insurance if driving badly. Why shouldn't you lose your health insurance if eating badly? Especially when feeding your child badly?

We sponsor bad food, because we insure for their consequences. Shouldn't a person lose his health insurance if eating unhealthy? I mean you can lose your car insurance if driving badly. Why shouldn't you lose your health insurance if eating badly? Especially when feeding your child badly?

Agreed. Kids are getting conflicting messages. They hear: "childhood obesity is a serious issue that needs to be addressed" on one hand...yet those same people turn around and tell others "it's ok to be overweight-don't let people body shame you"....no wonder the kids have no clue what to think.

Shouldn't the school at least teach the children at length what food is good and bad for them? I mean the school teaching. Like teaching is what schools are invented for.

Sure, I'd have NO problem with the schools teaching about healthy lifestyle choices in the classroom. But not to take away a students lunch that was brought from home because it didn't meet with the schools expectations. If the parent packed the lunch, then that is the parents responsibility. IF, IF, IF the school were to ever step in.......would be if the parent consistently packed candy, chips & soda or crap like that with absolutely NO nutritional value. But even then start with a call or note to the parent of their concerns.

Sure, I'd have NO problem with the schools teaching about healthy lifestyle choices in the classroom. But not to take away a students lunch that was brought from home because it didn't meet with the schools expectations. If the parent packed the lunch, then that is the parents responsibility. IF, IF, IF the school were to ever step in.......would be if the parent consistently packed candy, chips & soda or crap like that with absolutely NO nutritional value. But even then start with a call or note to the parent of their concerns.

No because the OP says this thread is not about throwing away the lunch. More importantly, both the school and the parent is programmed to junk you to crap, as long as they are all insured to do it.

Agreed. Kids are getting conflicting messages. They hear: "childhood obesity is a serious issue that needs to be addressed" on one hand...yet those same people turn around and tell others "it's ok to be overweight-don't let people body shame you"....no wonder the kids have no clue what to think.

Interestingly, it has been scientifically proven that body shaming increments obesity in the obese. Also that it can create obesity even in the non obese.

why do parents expect schools to do all this....nutritional classes etc....go sit in on your child's classes for the day see how much time is actual teaching and not admin paper work...schools cant do it all.....parents have to put down the fucking cell phones and be involved

why do parents expect schools to do all this....nutritional classes etc....go sit in on your child's classes for the day see how much time is actual teaching and not admin paper work...schools cant do it all.....parents have to put down the fucking cell phones and be involved

Parents understand only one language, termination of benefits, so take away their health insurance. On that very day, child obesity will stop.

child obesity is just sick...i was a plump kid..never fat but never thin kind with a diet of cokes from the bottle....it was okay in the 50 i guess...so when i had a kid it was one thing i worked hard on doing...a good diet..it should be breast milk for a year then home made foods...you can simply grind up when you eat with a grinder ...forcing parents to eat better also..

hidden sugars are a major issue for this country.....you think yogurt is good for ya...look at the sugar...and the carbs...people forget that carbs are sugars in hiding...

This is why my kids are never stepping foot in a public school again. Schools are viewed by progressive nutbars as a laboratory full of caged mice that they can fuck with (often literally) at will.

The school had no right to take that kid's lunch.

What state was this in? I can't even find the original article.

Last edited:
child obesity is just sick...i was a plump kid..never fat but never thin kind with a diet of cokes from the bottle....it was okay in the 50 i guess...so when i had a kid it was one thing i worked hard on doing...a good diet..it should be breast milk for a year then home made foods...you can simply grind up when you eat with a grinder ...forcing parents to eat better also..

hidden sugars are a major issue for this country.....you think yogurt is good for ya...look at the sugar...and the carbs...people forget that carbs are sugars in hiding...

In the 50s-70s, fat kids were quite rare. It's not the diet that's causing the problem, it's all the little dears sitting around on their plump spoiled asses playing digital games and watching TV ALL DAY LONG.

We didn't have such modern wonders back then. We drank Coke by the gallon and ate disgusting amounts of candy and pastries and chips. THEN we spent our time outside running around like lunatics, burning off all the calories.

On another note, go to a mall and see who the fat kids are. Most by far are Latino and black.

Not racist. Just a fact.

This is why my kids are never stepping foot in a public school again. Schools are viewed by progressive nutbars as a laboratory full of caged mice that they can fuck with (often literally) at will.

Well, it is a fact that Jews tend to be less fat than average. Is that because the Jew exclusive schools don't allow in the poisons of the public education system?

In the 50s-70s, fat kids were quite rare. It's not the diet that's causing the problem, it's all the little dears sitting around on their plump spoiled asses playing digital games and watching TV ALL DAY LONG.

We didn't have such modern wonders back then. We drank Coke by the gallon and ate disgusting amounts of candy and pastries and chips. THEN we spent our time outside running around like lunatics, burning off all the calories.

On another note, go to a mall and see who the fat kids are. Most by far are Latino and black.

Not racist. Just a fact.

Coke went through a chemical change in the 80's. Now coke has artificial corn sugar. In the 70's it had natural cane sugar. In some countries, like in Africa, you still get it original. Not only is it not fattening, but also it tastes much better.

Forum List

Back