Healthy eating for kids

It is the companies that produce good food that go out of business, the ones that produce crap food grow and multiply. And where did you get that 75 % diet figure for the weight loss? I whish it was true.

So you think there will be a point in time where supermarkets don't carry fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables because all the shit food companies will run them out of business?

This is already the case, when the usual American working poor does a price comparison in any supermarket, isn't it?

WHat?

I have yet to see a supermarket not carry fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables and only carry prepared food

Exercise Vs. Diet: The Truth About Weight Loss | HuffPost

“As a rule of thumb, weight loss is generally 75 percent diet and 25 percent exercise. An analysis of more than 700 weight loss studies found that people see the biggest short-term results when they eat smart. On average, people who dieted without exercising for 15 weeks lost 23 pounds; the exercisers lost only six over about 21 weeks. It’s much easier to cut calories than to burn them off. For example, if you eat a fast-food steak quesadilla, which can pack 500-plus calories, you need to run more than four miles to ‘undo’ it!

Very good, so what stops 75 % of all Americans from fixing their eating instead of screwing it up daily?

CHOICE

What does that mean? Do you mean that Americans want to choose to be fat and ugly? Why is that?

So you think there will be a point in time where supermarkets don't carry fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables because all the shit food companies will run them out of business?

This is already the case, when the usual American working poor does a price comparison in any supermarket, isn't it?

WHat?

I have yet to see a supermarket not carry fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables and only carry prepared food

“As a rule of thumb, weight loss is generally 75 percent diet and 25 percent exercise. An analysis of more than 700 weight loss studies found that people see the biggest short-term results when they eat smart. On average, people who dieted without exercising for 15 weeks lost 23 pounds; the exercisers lost only six over about 21 weeks. It’s much easier to cut calories than to burn them off. For example, if you eat a fast-food steak quesadilla, which can pack 500-plus calories, you need to run more than four miles to ‘undo’ it!

Very good, so what stops 75 % of all Americans from fixing their eating instead of screwing it up daily?

CHOICE

What does that mean? Do you mean that Americans want to choose to be fat and ugly? Why is that?

Don't know and don't care why

But unless you say that some outside unseen power is force feeding people so as to make them fat then choice is the only answer

Busybodies using government to force their preferences on others. Fuck. Off.

WHat?

CHOICE

But unless you say that some outside unseen power is force feeding people so as to make them fat then choice is the only answer

How can you not care? Imagine, with every shapely girl going fat, our chances to meet a real girl goes down by 1 %. Why do women want to become men then?

WHat?

CHOICE

How can you not care? Imagine, with every shapely girl going fat, our chances to meet a real girl goes down by 1 %. Why do women want to become men then?
I'm very happily married to a little red haired bombshell

CHOICE

OMG Can you count to 75? With 75 % percent national obesity, you have 75 % LESS chance to find a red bombshell.

But how many people have the thought process not to be controlled by advertising? Not that many. That's the reason why advertising works. This is the problem. Advertising works and I'm acknowledging this, where you're saying it doesn't have to work. Fine, it doesn't have to, but it does. You're looking at theory, I'm looking at reality. You're looking at a system which leads to high levels obesity, I would like one that has less obesity. You want to keep things in a bad way, I want to make things better.

Everyone has the ability to not buy everything they see on TV
They just choose not to exercise it

If you want to you can start a foundation for better eating and raise money for it

But the government should not be involved

Yes, they do. The point isn't whether people have the ability or not, the point is whether millions of people do or not.

The govt is responsible for state education, and within state education they should be responsible for teaching healthy eating. If they provide school meals, they should provide ONLY healthy school meals. If parents want unhealthy, they can make it themselves.

But I also believe that the govt should also be involved in promoting healthy eating across the board. Not forcing people to eat healthily, but certainly helping healthier food companies to thrive. Right now they help the wrong companies to thrive.

I also believe that the govt should promote small businesses over large multi-nationals, because smaller businesses are better for the country than larger businesses. The problem is the US govt isn't about what is best for the country.

They can teach it but why do you think that will make people actually do it?

The government spends millions a year on their stupid food pyramid and promoting that (which is all wrong btw) and people are still fat.

and the government should not be helping ANY private business thrive.

And there is no way supermarkets will stop carrying fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables and no mass produced boxed food is healthy so your "o called "good food companies" do not exist

There's teaching and there's TEACHING. But it's not a matter of making people actually do it. It's a matter of making a percentage of people think that it's the right thing to do. You're never going to change the attitude of everyone, it's not what it's about. It's about doing enough to have said that you have done enough to make a difference.

Yes, the govt and their stupid food pyramid. Here we come across the same problem that pervades every area of politics. The government. And don't get me wrong, I understand your mistrust of the US govt. The point I have made many times is the US govt is out of control and needs to change. First it has to change, THEN the things I'm talking about could be implemented. But we're mostly talking about healthy eating here rather than the change in the way people vote to get rid of the partisan politics. It's theoretical, because we know the US govt doesn't give a fuck about any single person other than the politicians and their pockets.

Well, good food companies do exist, they're just not massive companies receiving massive tax cuts.

So that's the issue in the US. The people are controlled by the large companies who control the govt too, and the govt and large companies spend a shit load of money telling people how to think and too many people are so docile that they just accept this, which means they vote for who they're told to vote for, which means govt is how govt wants it to be, and then every issue we deal with, guns, abortion or the other partisan topics, or the real issues like education, healthy eating, mental health, crime, the economy, they're all tainted by the bullshit of politics. And no one is willing to stand up to that, and so all the other issues are just theoretical.
so what percentage of people don't know that ice cream, cake, cookies, candy, chips and soda aren't as healthy as fruits, veggies and lean meats?

SO what percentage of people don't know that sugar decreases memory and attention spans, causes hyperactivity, robs the body of vitamins and minerals, makes you vulnerable to yeast overgrowth, can lead to chronic nasal congestion, eczema, ear infections, sensory integration disorders, high pain thresholds?

THIS is what I'm talking about.

But it does.

And you keep bringing up the same point over and over and I've spoken about it over and over, what's the point?

People will throw candy at their kids for a reason. Because their kids like candy. They go shopping they'll give their kid candy to shut them up, they stick them in front of the TV to shut them up, they don't let them play outside because it's dangerous, they don't do this and that and the other.

THIS IS THE FUCKING REALITY. No matter how many times you talk about choice, no matter how many times you don't give a shit, this is the REALITY. You deal with reality or you end up doing stupid shit, and the US govt, both parties, do a lot of shit, and people like you make sure it carries on happening day in, day out.
And sooner or later those kids start becoming responsible for themselves
I grew up with a mother who thought pop arts and pepsi were just fine for breakfast

but I decided in my teens that I didn't want to be the chubby kid anymore
I learned how to eat better and cook and that was before the internet
I started lifting weights and running and that was before there was a gym in every town

If a 15 year old kid can do that back then without all the info available today that anyone can do it now

Which is fine, you made that decision. But not everyone is you, not everyone has so much will power, not everyone has similar thoughts.

I grew up around people with mental problems. 1/4 of all people have some kind of mental problem and for some people this manifests itself in binge eating.. I knew a woman who was bulimic and lost a child because of it.

What you are suggesting is that because YOU did something, everyone else should also be able to do it as easily as you did, and therefore nothing should ever happen. The problem is, other people aren't you.
25% of people have mental problems that result in binge eating

Care to prove that?

FYI my mother was a bipolar wack job. But I don't use that as an excuse for my behavior as an adult

No, I don't care to prove that. You've just made it sound like ALL 25% of people end up binge eating because of mental problems. I didn't say that, so I don't care to prove something you said.

then just prove that 25% of the population has diagnosable mental illness

And that doesn't need to be proven either. It has no bearing on this topic whatsoever.

And you're talking about just letting things rot. So... which is better?

Nonsense. I'm talking about keeping government out of it. Can't you see that it was the desire to manipulate society with government that created the problem in the first place? Why do you think more of the same will help?

The issue in the US is changing the mentality.

Yes, and we can do that through persuasion, not force of law.
The politics is fucked up because the mentality of the people is fucked up.

That's one opinion. One I happen to agree with. But you lose me when you start talking about using government to tell people what to think or how to live.

And again, the problem is people will ALWAYS manipulate society. It's going to happen, it's impossible for it not to happen. So the people can decide to manipulate it for the people, or others can manipulate it for themselves. And your view is that it's better to be at the mercy of large corporations than those who have been elected by the people. I just don't get it. But hey.

How do you change the mentality of the people without forcing it? It's impossible. I mean you either change it through advertising or some sort of program which is throwing information at people and making them think in a certain way, or you're doing it through information in educational institutions, or your doing it by hitting their wallet. Whichever it's done you're going to cry out that it shouldn't be done and that the poor rich multi-nationals won't be able to fuck with you so easily.

So I've lost you. Well, that's how it is I guess. Until you realize that someone is going to tell people how to live, so you might as well make sure that it happens in a positive way rather than a selfish way from some multinational.

Man you just love to justify your desire to control people.

Do you disagree that people will always be manipulated and controlled?

yes

People will try to manipulate and control like you do but not all people will be manipulated and controlled.

Only those that choose to be will be

Wait, I didn't say that ALL PEOPLE will be manipulated and controlled, but the MAJORITY of people will be.

People will try to manipulate and control like you do but not all people will be manipulated and controlled.

Wait, I didn't say that ALL PEOPLE will be manipulated and controlled, but the MAJORITY of people will be.

And that would be the same MAJORITY that elects the government, right?

Part of it, yes. What's your point?

The way the election process is set up with decide who votes for who. In Germany 10% of people vote for the main two parties in FPTP but other parties in PR. Says a lot.

Well, you seem to be approaching the problem from the perspective that people don't know what's good for them, and that government should step in and correct them when they stray from the "One True Path™". But if the people so easily manipulated and controlled are picking our leaders, where does that leave us? Trumpistan?

Well, you seem to be approaching the problem from the perspective that people don't know what's good for them, and that government should step in and correct them when they stray from the "One True Path™". But if the people so easily manipulated and controlled are picking our leaders, where does that leave us? Trumpistan?

Not really.

The only things I'm calling for are better education and a policy of making healthy food more appealing in terms of price. I'm not saying people should stop eating crap, I'm saying they should be informed about what they're eating, and they should find that healthy foods and not sugary foods, should be the ones that are cheaper.

I get it, you prefer that Coca-Cola and Pepsi receive billions in tax refunds and other money, but I don't.

Everyone has the ability to not buy everything they see on TV
They just choose not to exercise it

If you want to you can start a foundation for better eating and raise money for it

But the government should not be involved

Yes, they do. The point isn't whether people have the ability or not, the point is whether millions of people do or not.

The govt is responsible for state education, and within state education they should be responsible for teaching healthy eating. If they provide school meals, they should provide ONLY healthy school meals. If parents want unhealthy, they can make it themselves.

But I also believe that the govt should also be involved in promoting healthy eating across the board. Not forcing people to eat healthily, but certainly helping healthier food companies to thrive. Right now they help the wrong companies to thrive.

I also believe that the govt should promote small businesses over large multi-nationals, because smaller businesses are better for the country than larger businesses. The problem is the US govt isn't about what is best for the country.

The government spends millions a year on their stupid food pyramid and promoting that (which is all wrong btw) and people are still fat.

And there is no way supermarkets will stop carrying fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables and no mass produced boxed food is healthy so your "o called "good food companies" do not exist

There's teaching and there's TEACHING. But it's not a matter of making people actually do it. It's a matter of making a percentage of people think that it's the right thing to do. You're never going to change the attitude of everyone, it's not what it's about. It's about doing enough to have said that you have done enough to make a difference.

Yes, the govt and their stupid food pyramid. Here we come across the same problem that pervades every area of politics. The government. And don't get me wrong, I understand your mistrust of the US govt. The point I have made many times is the US govt is out of control and needs to change. First it has to change, THEN the things I'm talking about could be implemented. But we're mostly talking about healthy eating here rather than the change in the way people vote to get rid of the partisan politics. It's theoretical, because we know the US govt doesn't give a fuck about any single person other than the politicians and their pockets.

Well, good food companies do exist, they're just not massive companies receiving massive tax cuts.

So that's the issue in the US. The people are controlled by the large companies who control the govt too, and the govt and large companies spend a shit load of money telling people how to think and too many people are so docile that they just accept this, which means they vote for who they're told to vote for, which means govt is how govt wants it to be, and then every issue we deal with, guns, abortion or the other partisan topics, or the real issues like education, healthy eating, mental health, crime, the economy, they're all tainted by the bullshit of politics. And no one is willing to stand up to that, and so all the other issues are just theoretical.
so what percentage of people don't know that ice cream, cake, cookies, candy, chips and soda aren't as healthy as fruits, veggies and lean meats?

SO what percentage of people don't know that sugar decreases memory and attention spans, causes hyperactivity, robs the body of vitamins and minerals, makes you vulnerable to yeast overgrowth, can lead to chronic nasal congestion, eczema, ear infections, sensory integration disorders, high pain thresholds?

If people already know that fruits and veggie are better for them than candy ( and everyone already knows this) it doesn't matter if they don't know all the physiological effects of sugar

Last edited:
Nonsense. I'm talking about keeping government out of it. Can't you see that it was the desire to manipulate society with government that created the problem in the first place? Why do you think more of the same will help?

Yes, and we can do that through persuasion, not force of law.
That's one opinion. One I happen to agree with. But you lose me when you start talking about using government to tell people what to think or how to live.

And again, the problem is people will ALWAYS manipulate society. It's going to happen, it's impossible for it not to happen. So the people can decide to manipulate it for the people, or others can manipulate it for themselves. And your view is that it's better to be at the mercy of large corporations than those who have been elected by the people. I just don't get it. But hey.

How do you change the mentality of the people without forcing it? It's impossible. I mean you either change it through advertising or some sort of program which is throwing information at people and making them think in a certain way, or you're doing it through information in educational institutions, or your doing it by hitting their wallet. Whichever it's done you're going to cry out that it shouldn't be done and that the poor rich multi-nationals won't be able to fuck with you so easily.

So I've lost you. Well, that's how it is I guess. Until you realize that someone is going to tell people how to live, so you might as well make sure that it happens in a positive way rather than a selfish way from some multinational.

Man you just love to justify your desire to control people.

Do you disagree that people will always be manipulated and controlled?

yes

because they choose to be

And sooner or later those kids start becoming responsible for themselves
I grew up with a mother who thought pop arts and pepsi were just fine for breakfast

but I decided in my teens that I didn't want to be the chubby kid anymore
I learned how to eat better and cook and that was before the internet
I started lifting weights and running and that was before there was a gym in every town

If a 15 year old kid can do that back then without all the info available today that anyone can do it now

Which is fine, you made that decision. But not everyone is you, not everyone has so much will power, not everyone has similar thoughts.

I grew up around people with mental problems. 1/4 of all people have some kind of mental problem and for some people this manifests itself in binge eating.. I knew a woman who was bulimic and lost a child because of it.

What you are suggesting is that because YOU did something, everyone else should also be able to do it as easily as you did, and therefore nothing should ever happen. The problem is, other people aren't you.
25% of people have mental problems that result in binge eating

Care to prove that?

FYI my mother was a bipolar wack job. But I don't use that as an excuse for my behavior as an adult

No, I don't care to prove that. You've just made it sound like ALL 25% of people end up binge eating because of mental problems. I didn't say that, so I don't care to prove something you said.

then just prove that 25% of the population has diagnosable mental illness

And that doesn't need to be proven either. It has no bearing on this topic whatsoever.
so you can state anything you want and just say it doesn't have to be proven

OMG Can you count to 75? With 75 % percent national obesity, you have 75 % LESS chance to find a red bombshell.
I already found one so I don't care if all the other girls are fat

Not really.

The only things I'm calling for are better education and a policy of making healthy food more appealing in terms of price. I'm not saying people should stop eating crap, I'm saying they should be informed about what they're eating, and they should find that healthy foods and not sugary foods, should be the ones that are cheaper.

I get it, you prefer that Coca-Cola and Pepsi receive billions in tax refunds and other money, but I don't.

And once again it is always cheaper to eat real food.

Opinion | Is Junk Food Really Cheaper?

If people already know that fruits and veggie are better for them than candy ( and everyone already knows this) it doesn't matter if they don't know all the physiological effects of sugar

Actually it makes a massive difference. This is what made the difference for me to stop eating sugary things.

Many people will eat sugar and think it only affects their waistline, without realizing that it has a far worse impact on their brain.

For kids, this is massively important. Kids study but then end up being pumped full of sugar, and then what? Parents don't think some sugar as a reward for studying, or just as a normal thing will have that impact. They simply don't know.

Forum List

Back