Govt in Your Kitchen

As long as the food is labelled as home made, and the people buying it realize that health inspectors aren't involved in this, I fail to see why the government feels the need to get involved.
It's to protect the public. ZOMG, are you against public health?? What kind of a callous conservative asshole are you anyway?? If we didnt have government looking out for us we'd all be dead within a month!

As long as the food is labelled as home made, and the people buying it realize that health inspectors aren't involved in this, I fail to see why the government feels the need to get involved.
It's to protect the public. ZOMG, are you against public health?? What kind of a callous conservative asshole are you anyway?? If we didnt have government looking out for us we'd all be dead within a month!

science-sarcasm-professor-frink-comic-book-guy-631.jpg

You fucking ultra-liberal, you!!!

:rofl:

I think that people are doing more than selling a little pesto to a neighbor if they have drawn the attention of the local health department.

The next step will be stopping people from sharing what they grew in private gardens.

So why should we inspect larger commercial food producers? Does the size of your commercial food operation make a difference as to whether or not you're are subject to inspections? Just put a "Not Inspected" label on everything?

Is there a line here and where do we draw it?

There are some legitimate questions to be asked here imho.

I think that people are doing more than selling a little pesto to a neighbor if they have drawn the attention of the local health department.

Government can't get a cut of the action so they shut it down.

In that case it would be a sale tax issue and not a health department issue. There are way around this. Operate your kitchen out of a shed in your back yard that the HD can inspect. There is an opportunity here though. Someone could make a kitchen where people can come in a rent time to do their commercial food production. I heard that governments used to operate canneries where people could do that and just have to pay for the cost of the cans they used plus a small fee to preserve their garden crops for winter.

Yeah cuz we all know that homeless people and pot luck dinners served everywhere in the USA are dying all over the place.

So why should we inspect larger commercial food producers? Does the size of your commercial food operation make a difference as to whether or not you're are subject to inspections? Just put a "Not Inspected" label on everything?

Mass producers are vulnerable to their supply chain practices. It was a flour supplier that was part of the issue in the Tollhouse recall a few years ago. Regardless, it is far cheaper to comply with the HD inspections than to have a nationwide recall that damages your brand name and sales for years.

Kitchen inspections are just part of Big Government's agenda to eliminate Civil Society.

Mass producers are vulnerable to their supply chain practices. It was a flour supplier that was part of the issue in the Tollhouse recall a few years ago. Regardless, it is far cheaper to comply with the HD inspections than to have a nationwide recall that damages your brand name and sales for years.

OK.

But do you think the government has any role to play in protecting the public from unsafe products? I'm not talking about what may be a "best business practice." I'm talking about government regulation.

Yeah cuz we all know that homeless people and pot luck dinners served everywhere in the USA are dying all over the place.

Shelter kitchens are inspected in our area as are church kitchens, and if you pay attention to it, bad sanitation practices have sickened people at picnics/reunions/potlucks fairly regularly. Usually gets traced back to something with mayo being left out too long or dirty can openers as people seldom think to throw the can opener into the dishwasher on a regular basis.

OK.

But do you think the government has any role to play in protecting the public from unsafe products? I'm not talking about what may be a "best business practice." I'm talking about government regulation.

Yes I do think the government has a role and a duty to help protect people from unsafe products.

Because you don't have a choice with commercial food producers.
You do have a choice with private kitchen products.
HB 1290, sponsored by Delegate Rob Bell, R-Charlottesville, would end home-kitchen inspections on items produced for direct sale. The goods would bear a label stating that the products are not for resale and were processed without state inspection.

Shelter kitchens are inspected in our area as are church kitchens, and if you pay attention to it, bad sanitation practices have sickened people at picnics/reunions/potlucks fairly regularly. Usually gets traced back to something with mayo being left out too long or dirty can openers as people seldom think to throw the can opener into the dishwasher on a regular basis.

Mayo is actually the least likely culprit when it comes to sickening people, as its low pH inhibits organism growth.

Forum List

Back