Govt in Your Kitchen

So why should we inspect larger commercial food producers? Does the size of your commercial food operation make a difference as to whether or not you're are subject to inspections? Just put a "Not Inspected" label on everything?

Is there a line here and where do we draw it?

There are some legitimate questions to be asked here imho.

Mass producers are vulnerable to their supply chain practices. It was a flour supplier that was part of the issue in the Tollhouse recall a few years ago. Regardless, it is far cheaper to comply with the HD inspections than to have a nationwide recall that damages your brand name and sales for years.

That argument would have made sense decades ago before the internet.

In the present day, real time access to information over the internet is a far better "regulator" than corporate cronies in the revolving door regulatory bureaucracies.

Last edited:
So why should we inspect larger commercial food producers? Does the size of your commercial food operation make a difference as to whether or not you're are subject to inspections? Just put a "Not Inspected" label on everything?

Because you don't have a choice with commercial food producers.
You do have a choice with private kitchen products.
HB 1290, sponsored by Delegate Rob Bell, R-Charlottesville, would end home-kitchen inspections on items produced for direct sale. The goods would bear a label stating that the products are not for resale and were processed without state inspection.

I'm not following how the size of the commercial food producer eliminates choice. Could you clarify?

As long as the food is labelled as home made, and the people buying it realize that health inspectors aren't involved in this, I fail to see why the government feels the need to get involved.
It's to protect the public. ZOMG, are you against public health?? What kind of a callous conservative asshole are you anyway?? If we didnt have government looking out for us we'd all be dead within a month!

Yeah cuz we all know that homeless people and pot luck dinners served everywhere in the USA are dying all over the place.

Shelter kitchens are inspected in our area as are church kitchens, and if you pay attention to it, bad sanitation practices have sickened people at picnics/reunions/potlucks fairly regularly. Usually gets traced back to something with mayo being left out too long or dirty can openers as people seldom think to throw the can opener into the dishwasher on a regular basis.

You think that someone who wants to sell their food products from home would not be more sanitary?
Their business would go out of business if they did something like that.
There is a difference between private use and commercial use.

As long as the food is labelled as home made, and the people buying it realize that health inspectors aren't involved in this, I fail to see why the government feels the need to get involved.
It's to protect the public. ZOMG, are you against public health?? What kind of a callous conservative asshole are you anyway?? If we didnt have government looking out for us we'd all be dead within a month!

Yeah cuz we all know that homeless people and pot luck dinners served everywhere in the USA are dying all over the place.

Shelter kitchens are inspected in our area as are church kitchens, and if you pay attention to it, bad sanitation practices have sickened people at picnics/reunions/potlucks fairly regularly. Usually gets traced back to something with mayo being left out too long or dirty can openers as people seldom think to throw the can opener into the dishwasher on a regular basis.

You think that someone who wants to sell their food products from home would not be more sanitary?

I don't think you can assume that a smaller commercial food operation is going to be more sanity than a larger one.

I agree that there is a difference between private and public kitchens. But HOW MUCH you sell is not the difference. If you sell it - it's commercial.

Because you don't have a choice with commercial food producers.
You do have a choice with private kitchen products.
HB 1290, sponsored by Delegate Rob Bell, R-Charlottesville, would end home-kitchen inspections on items produced for direct sale. The goods would bear a label stating that the products are not for resale and were processed without state inspection.

I'm not following how the size of the commercial food producer eliminates choice. Could you clarify?

Do you make your own cereal or produce your own milk?
You can't turn down any food made in large commercial sized products. You would starve, unless you had all of your food grown on your own property or any meat or dairy products that you produce yourself. Practically everyone buys their food from commercial producers in grocery stores.
Privately sold items in home kitchens you can turn down.

I don't think you can assume that a smaller commercial food operation is going to be more sanity than a larger one.

I agree that there is a difference between private and public kitchens. But HOW MUCH you sell is not the difference. If you sell it - it's commercial.

And if it comes from a home kitchen you can say no I will not buy that.

"You can't turn down any food made in large commercial sized products. "

Of course you can. You can choose a different brand... from a different farm ... or from a different dairy.

The fact that there is a large producer doesn't mean there is only ONE producer. No offense - That just doesn't make any sense.

"You can't turn down any. " food made in large commercial sized products

Of course you can. You can choose a different brand... from a different farm ... or from a different dairy.

The fact that there is a large producer doesn't mean there is only ONE producer. No offense - That just doesn't make any sense.

I never said one producer.
I said " food made in large commercial sized products".
Products not one.
Do you have your own milk or do you buy from a store that sells milk from many different types of milk producers?
You can choose from the many different types of commercial products, but you can't say no I will not buy from any grocery store, unless you are self reliant on any of your food intake.
I can just see it now, every person in the city who has their own cows and chickens, pigs and so on, talk about unsanitary.

But as you said, there are many large producers. So you still have plenty of choice.

Try not buying from a grocery store.

Buying from a grocery store doesn't mean you have no choice. There are multiple producers' products in the grocery store and there are plenty of choices between different producers, different "kitchens," and different farms.

You still have plenty of choices in a grocery store..

Mass producers are vulnerable to their supply chain practices. It was a flour supplier that was part of the issue in the Tollhouse recall a few years ago. Regardless, it is far cheaper to comply with the HD inspections than to have a nationwide recall that damages your brand name and sales for years.

In the present day, real time access to information over the internet is a far better "regulator" than corporate cronies in the revolving door regulatory bureaucracies.

completely contradicted by food recalls in the US usually having such a lag tme before they are widely reported that the damage has been done already. I think the last recall I recall seeing was for some lot of food made months ago.

Yes I think that people do not clean their counter tops, cutting boards, and can openers with industrial strength cleaners, nor take their stainless steel mixers completely apart to clean them inside and out.

Health Department regulations are not that arduous you know.

Depends. Some places they are. Do you wan tthe Health Dept coming into your house and inspecting your kitchen, so guests know you keep a clean place?

Depends. Some places they are. Do you wan tthe Health Dept coming into your house and inspecting your kitchen, so guests know you keep a clean place?

If they so desire. My dogs keep the kitchen floor spit-shinned. ;)

completely contradicted by food recalls in the US usually having such a lag tme before they are widely reported that the damage has been done already. I think the last recall I recall seeing was for some lot of food made months ago.

B'loney.

Ever heard of Social Media?

Guests .... or paying customers?

That's the difference.

If they so desire. My dogs keep the kitchen floor spit-shinned. ;)
Next they'll want a full body cavity search. I'm sure you're down with that too.

Guests .... or paying customers?

That's the difference.
Not really

Forum List

Back