Going in for Cancer removal surgery tomorrow.

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
About two months ago, I had a skin cancer check with a dermatologist, and the minute the Physician Assistant walked in the room, before me even undressing for the body cancer check, she saw a mole on my face, looked at it, said I'm certain that is Basal Cell Cancer let me biopsy it, stuck numbing needle in, and that's that....next day, got a call it was cancer and them trying to set up the appointment to have something called MOHS surgery to have it removed....

Basically, they cut it out, then they examine it for cancer in the edges of the cut, I'll wait 45 minutes for results, if there is more, they will cut again, I wait again 45 minutes for results if there is cancer still then they cut out more and this is repeated until they get it all....it could take the whole day or half day....

This mole showed up during the COVID epidemic, it took months to get in with my doctor and she thought it was nothing...I knew it was not nothing....it showed up out if nowhere....but then Matt damaged his Rotator cuff and we dealt with that and surgery the next year and then after that we found out he had prostate cancer and then the radiation treatments, and then I finally got my doctor to give me a referral to a dermatologist, and it took 8 months to get the appointment....

Anyway.....here I am, 4 years later and finally, getting it removed!

It's right under the circle under my eye, near the nose.... I hope the doc works a miracle and it doesn't leave a bad scar....:(

About two months ago, I had a skin cancer check with a dermatologist, and the minute the Physician Assistant walked in the room, before me even undressing for the body cancer check, she saw a mole on my face, looked at it, said I'm certain that is Basal Cell Cancer let me biopsy it, stuck numbing needle in, and that's that....next day, got a call it was cancer and them trying to set up the appointment to have something called MOHS surgery to have it removed....

Basically, they cut it out, then they examine it for cancer in the edges of the cut, I'll wait 45 minutes for results, if there is more, they will cut again, I wait again 45 minutes for results if there is cancer still then they cut out more and this is repeated until they get it all....it could take the whole day or half day....

This mole showed up during the COVID epidemic, it took months to get in with my doctor and she thought it was nothing...I knew it was not nothing....it showed up out if nowhere....but then Matt damaged his Rotator cuff and we dealt with that and surgery the next year and then after that we found out he had prostate cancer and then the radiation treatments, and then I finally got my doctor to give me a referral to a dermatologist, and it took 8 months to get the appointment....

It's right under the circle under my eye, near the nose.... I hope the doc works a miracle and it doesn't leave a bad scar....:(
Strength and hope.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you had it right 4 years ago. We are our own best doctors.

That is a vary common area for these little skin cancers. My dad had one and elected to not have it removed. No one knows why. He said he didn't want to bother.

God bless.

If you were near NYC I'd suggest Dr. Lederman's Radio Surgery rather than MOHS.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you had it right 4 years ago. We are our own best doctors.
Yep! Not only was the doc wrong on it, but my dentist who I saw twice a year, and my hygienist, and my doc a few more times....that mole was inches from their own eyes, and they did not recognize it as cancer!

The dermatologist who I saw in a consultation on the options I had, told me that it is not my docs fault....she Said that out of the four years in medical school for internists, and general practitioners, they only get 4 hours of lessons on dermatology!

More people are diagnosed with Basal Cell skin cancer a year than any other cancer in the USA....

It's not a deadly cancer, it's slow moving usually, but it can be disfiguring.

Best of luck to you. Had one cut out of my chest a few years ago.

I had two basal cell tumors removed in the last month via MOHS surgery. One on my lower right leg, one on the top of my right hand. I knew the one on my leg was cancer. Everything went well. No problem. You are doing the right thing. :thup:

My dad went to the doctor and said he thought he had bowel cancer. The doctor said no, he didn't.
He went back two more times and the third time the doctor said he thought my dad had psychological problems and sent him to a shrink. The shrink told him he had cancer, and he got lucky, just. Caught it just in time.

I've had 2 mohs surgeries, they are fairly routine. The location of yours is tricky but they are very good at concealment. Hope all goes well for you!

So great it has been found. I want you to think of this forum as we got your back and will pray for your excellent recovery.

I've had 2 mohs surgeries, they are fairly routine. The location of yours is tricky but they are very good at concealment. Hope all goes well for you!
Did they get it all the first time or did they have to cut it again, and again?

Sending prayers and good thoughts for the best outcome for you!

Of course I should have gone to sleep hours ago! The surgery is in the early morning and the doc office is an hours drive from where we are....but as usually for crud like this, I am wide awake and can't fall asleep!

Hope it all goes well for you. Wish you the best.

Forum List

Back