Gary Johnson wins Libertarian Party nomination

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Libertarians on Sunday selected former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson as their party's presidential nominee, at their party convention in Orlando, Florida.

Johnson was the party's nominee in 2012 and once again won the position despite backlash from the party's more radical Libertarian wing.

In the first round of voting, Johnson reached 49.5 percent of the vote, according to the official party total, just shy of the majority needed for victory. His nearest opponents, Austin Petersen and John McAfee, reached 21 and 14 percent respectively. On the second round of voting, Johnson clinched the nomination with 55.8 percent of the vote.
Gary Johnson wins Libertarian presidential nomination at party convention - CNNPolitics.com

The Libertarian Party retains its status as a backup plan for failed Republican politicians by nominating Johnson again, and likely nominating Bill Weld for his running mate. At this point, it's time for the Libertarian Party to rebrand since they seem to be more interested in nominating Republican cast-offs than anybody interested in libertarianism.

Libertarians on Sunday selected former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson as their party's presidential nominee, at their party convention in Orlando, Florida.

Johnson was the party's nominee in 2012 and once again won the position despite backlash from the party's more radical Libertarian wing.

In the first round of voting, Johnson reached 49.5 percent of the vote, according to the official party total, just shy of the majority needed for victory. His nearest opponents, Austin Petersen and John McAfee, reached 21 and 14 percent respectively. On the second round of voting, Johnson clinched the nomination with 55.8 percent of the vote.
Gary Johnson wins Libertarian presidential nomination at party convention - CNNPolitics.com

The Libertarian Party retains its status as a backup plan for failed Republican politicians by nominating Johnson again, and likely nominating Bill Weld for his running mate. At this point, it's time for the Libertarian Party to rebrand since they seem to be more interested in nominating Republican cast-offs than anybody interested in libertarianism.

For the Libertarian party looking to attract Republicans, this is probably the year they should go status quo. If they nominated a total nut job that even your average Republican would be incensed by then they gain nothing, they couldn't even look at this year and say "hey everyone we broke 5% woo - hoo!". They'd just further fall into irrelevance.

There is no down side to Gary Johnson because no matter who this party nominates they aren't going to win so Libertarians don't have to be embarrassed when they realize they elected a moderate Republican.

So, in conclusion, the Libertarians party can only hope to increase their percentages, here is no down side to putting up a non-purist because they aren't going to win anyway.

And hundreds of Libertarians across the nation celebrate with lines of Coke and cheap whores.

Gary Johnson is the only serious candidate running now. He is the only one with actual executive experience in office dealing with legislatures A lot of conservative Republicans will be asking themselves why they remain with the GOP this time.

I watched a good portion of the Libertarian debate/convention last night because I am giving them consideration. I have to say though wow if it wasn't Johnson I would have wrote that party out completely. What I saw was basically kind of a shitshow between Anarchists and Gary Johnson the only one with common sense. I mean Johnson answered a few questions where unless you were an anarchy-libertarian they were reasonable answers that were imo mainstream Libertarian and he was booed. Just my opinion of course.

Despite that Johnson is worth consideration but man that was crazy, too much anarchy type Libertarianism.

I watched a good portion of the Libertarian debate/convention last night because I am giving them consideration. I have to say though wow if it wasn't Johnson I would have wrote that party out completely. What I saw was basically kind of a shitshow between Anarchists and Gary Johnson the only one with common sense. I mean Johnson answered a few questions where unless you were an anarchy-libertarian they were reasonable answers that were imo mainstream Libertarian and he was booed. Just my opinion of course.

Despite that Johnson is worth consideration but man that was crazy, too much anarchy type Libertarianism.
A Libertarian Party convention reminds me of Animal House where everyone is drunk.

The Libertarians did the only sensible thing and nominated Gary Johnson for their candidate for president. Johnson is the only reasonable choice in the race. He is a two term governor with a solid record. Does he have plenty of downsides? Of course. But not nearly as many as McCain. And lots of people, including me, voted for McCain.

They would have better luck running Cheech and Chong, with Cheech at the top of the ticket, of course. It wouldn't work the other way around.

Thanks for the news. But your title is disgusting.

And just for the record I was never here. K? :eusa_shhh:

Now that's a party message I can get behind. lol

The Libertarians did the only sensible thing and nominated Gary Johnson for their candidate for president. Johnson is the only reasonable choice in the race. He is a two term governor with a solid record. Does he have plenty of downsides? Of course. But not nearly as many as McCain. And lots of people, including me, voted for McCain.

I see we've all learned about promoting from the DOnald. Got to have those catchy controversial sideshow slogans. :biggrin: I would proud to have a "Feel the Johnson" bumper sticker (on my tractor).

Didn't hear if Will Weld (past governor of Mass) was approved as VP. I do know there is a fight over whether Weld is "Libertarian enough". A problem my party has ALWAYS had. And in the race to being MORE Libertarian --- we are the world's richest mine of anarchists.

TWO successful state governors on one ticket would be really rad.. Considering the choices. The only polls INCLUDING Johnson recently ALREADY showed him at 10 or 12%. BEFORE the convention. So we're half-way there to throwing America's first election into the House in over 100 years.

And I want to see the tears and hissy fits stream from the Dem/Rep camps when we reach 15% and by the rules are SUPPOSED to be included in the debates. Except that the FEC "debate committee" is a bunch of hot-head party loyalists who signed a memo saying that their candidates WOULD ONLY debate Democrats or Republicans.

Now that's the kinda of "rigged system" this election is all about. Isn't it?

I see we've all learned about promoting from the DOnald. Got to have those catchy controversial sideshow slogans. :biggrin: I would proud to have a "Feel the Johnson" bumper sticker (on my tractor).

Didn't hear if Will Weld (past governor of Mass) was approved as VP. I do know there is a fight over whether Weld is "Libertarian enough". A problem my party has ALWAYS had. And in the race to being MORE Libertarian --- we are the world's richest mine of anarchists.

TWO successful state governors on one ticket would be really rad.. Considering the choices. The only polls INCLUDING Johnson recently ALREADY showed him at 10 or 12%. BEFORE the convention. So we're half-way there to throwing America's first election into the House in over 100 years.

And I want to see the tears and hissy fits stream from the Dem/Rep camps when we reach 15% and by the rules are SUPPOSED to be included in the debates. Except that the FEC "debate committee" is a bunch of hot-head party loyalists who signed a memo saying that their candidates WOULD ONLY debate Democrats or Republicans.

Now that's the kinda of "rigged system" this election is all about. Isn't it?
Feel the Johnson! Let Him Blow a Load of Liberty All Over You!
Gary Johnson is probably the GOP candidate we should have had.

Forum List

Back