Gabby Gifford

Mebbe it was cause Mark Kelly put up dat 'No Crying' sign...
:confused:
Giffords's husband scolds Boehner for not visiting wounded lawmaker
11/15/11 - Says all they got was “a simple get-well card”
In a new book, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’s (D-Ariz.) husband scolds House Speaker John Boehner for failing to visit his wounded wife while she was recovering from injuries sustained in a shooting. In his and his wife’s new volume, Mark Kelly writes that Boehner (R-Ohio) didn’t take an opportunity to visit Giffords when he was in Houston for a basketball game and added that all they heard from the Speaker after the shooting came in the form of “a simple get-well card.”

Kelly noted that in April, Boehner was in Houston for the NCAA Final Four Tournament while Giffords was at a rehabilitation center there following the Jan. 8 attempt on her life. “Considering that she was a member of Congress and he was the highest-ranking member, we thought he’d ask to visit Gabby or at least give a call to see how she was doing,” Kelly writes in Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope. “Our only contact with him had been a simple get-well card he’d sent a few days after Gabby was injured.” But they didn’t hear from the Speaker.

Kelly writes that he told Giffords “maybe she scared him off” and reminded her of the time the couple saw Boehner in a Washington, D.C., restaurant before the 2010 election. They spotted the then-minority leader at another table and on their way out, according to Kelly’s account, Giffords stopped to greet Boehner, telling him with “a big smile on her face”: “You stay out of my district. OK. Remember. Stay out of my district.” Giffords “was trying to be funny but she was also giving him notice,” Kelly recounts, noting Boehner “had an uncomfortable look on his face” as Giffords spoke.

Giffords was in a tough reelection contest in 2010 but won by around 4,000 votes. She has not announced her 2012 election plans but is continuing with the physical therapy treatments required as a result of her head wound. Not all the mentions of Boehner are critical, however. Kelly notes when Giffords returned to Congress in August to vote on legislation raising the debt ceiling, she was greeted by Boehner, who welcomed her back — which she responded to by hugging him. A GOP leadership aide defended the Speaker, saying Boehner contacted Giffords’s chief of staff within hours of the shooting. The aide added that Boehner’s staff has been in contact with Giffords’s staff throughout the year — and Giffords’s staff have expressed appreciation for the Speaker’s efforts. Boehner was criticized shortly after the shootings, when he didn’t attend a memorial service in Tucson, Ariz.

MORE

As much as someone would admire her courage and will to live, it is clear that she cannot function effectively. She will win if she runs because of the sympathy vote, which isn't the best way to choose leaders.

Just for the record.... Diane Sawyer is an asshole!

I heard the interview and she just could not help bringing up Sarah Palins ad....

It has been proven without a shadow of a doubt, the ad had NOTHING to do with the shooting!

Screw that bitch!

They don't doubt that she could effortlessly win re-election, but they wonder if the Arizona Democrat can reach a point in her rehabilitation where she feels comfortable enough to seek re-election in time to run again next year. Speculation that Mark Kelly, Giffords' recently retired NASA astronaut husband, might possibly run for her seat in her stead also has resumed, although he is on the record as saying he is not inclined to pursue political office anytime soon

Gabrielle Giffords' political future is still hazy

Arizona is a very strange place when it comes to elections, basically Gabby Giffords is in the position that the seat is her's if she wants it. The one democrat who wants to run against her a teacher from Tucson last I heard was having trouble getting the 700 democrats to back him. As can be seen in the article if her husband Mark decided to take her place he would win it in a walk, the Republican party has not shown much interest in the seat given the political uphill battle they would face. The bottom line is that Gabby and her husband in my opinion have brought great honor on our state and themselves for their courage and showing the nation how far the love of two people will take them. I remain a big supporter of Gabby Giffords in whatever she chooses to do, as well as Mark and if she should so decide to run for congress once again, then I consider myself lucky to live in a state she represents and will look forward to her long career of service. In the end, it is my hope that she gets to a place where she is happy as she has served honorably and shown what it means to be a true servant of the people.

Then the right wing terrorist who shot her would be closer to getting his way.... better chance for a Republican to win the seat.

Right wing terrorist? :lol: Idiot.

I hope Giffords makes a full recovery. I'm glad she has something to aim for (oops, does saying 'aim for' make me a right wing terrorist?)

I do find it odd that so many people are high fiving her husband just for taking his marriage vows seriously. It never occurred to me that he might not.
:clap2:

Her husband is doing what any decent hubby should do... :confused: Never crossed my mind to pat him on the back.

As for the rightwing comment.... I wonder if she has been told what the "right" and Sarah Palin was accused of, and how she feels about it.

What every husband who is truly in love with his wife does. :)

Regarding any politics, I will just wait until she is able to respond to these questions. If that ever happens. I'm just happy that she's on the road to recovery and can return her husbands' love.

Loving one's spouse is hardly a reason to vote for someone who has such severe brain injuries. No matter how nice she is, or how much she has overcome, she can't fulfull the functions of a congressperson any longer.

Loving one's spouse is hardly a reason to vote for someone who has such severe brain injuries. No matter how nice she is, or how much she has overcome, she can't fulfull the functions of a congressperson any longer.

You didn't quote anyone, so who's saying someone should vote for her? And whose to say that she can't make a full recovery.

The brain is a marvelous thing and full recoveries have happened with greater head injuries.

Time will tell imo, but I don't discount this strong ladies ability to enforce a full recovery and along with her husbands true love it's often a major impetus to greater healing.

Oy Gevalt!

She can recover, her husband loves her, that doesn't mean she can be an effective congressperson representing the interests of many many people. Or, even if she does, that it won't be a very long time before she reaches that point.

Gabby Gifford should simply retire. It would be in her best interest and in the best interest of the people who elected her to serve.

Then the right wing terrorist who shot her would be closer to getting his way.... better chance for a Republican to win the seat.

I hope Giffords makes a full recovery. I'm glad she has something to aim for (oops, does saying 'aim for' make me a right wing terrorist?)

I do find it odd that so many people are high fiving her husband just for taking his marriage vows seriously. It never occurred to me that he might not.

Sadly enough quite a few people who have left her in that situation.

As much as someone would admire her courage and will to live, it is clear that she cannot function effectively. She will win if she runs because of the sympathy vote, which isn't the best way to choose leaders.

Brain function isn't a requirement for Democrats. Its admirable that Giffords wants to get back to a normal life, but the Dems simply want to use her to push their political agenda. This tragedy is simply another moment of opportunity for Dems to seize on.

:clap2:

Her husband is doing what any decent hubby should do... :confused: Never crossed my mind to pat him on the back.

As for the rightwing comment.... I wonder if she has been told what the "right" and Sarah Palin was accused of, and how she feels about it.

What every husband who is truly in love with his wife does. :)

Regarding any politics, I will just wait until she is able to respond to these questions. If that ever happens. I'm just happy that she's on the road to recovery and can return her husbands' love.

She will need all the support she can get.

I wish her all the luck in the world. So far she has shown a miraculous lust for life.

For crying out LOUD. She's a nice person, she suffered a horrible injury, that does not mean she should continue to be in Congress!

This is like letting the retard lose a game, then celebrating his participation like he won it instead.

Oy Gevalt!

She can recover, her husband loves her, that doesn't mean she can be an effective congressperson representing the interests of many many people. Or, even if she does, that it won't be a very long time before she reaches that point.

And it doesn't mean she can't be an effective congressperson either, or that she won't heal quickly. There's optimism, there's pessimism and then there's all the degrees in-between.

I choose optimism. ;)

Oy Gevalt!

And it doesn't mean she can't be an effective congressperson either, or that she won't heal quickly. There's optimism, there's pessimism and then there's all the degrees in-between.

I choose optimism. ;)

You can make that decision personally, not when you are representing other people. This is as bad as she should be in Congress because her husband loves her.

Oy Gevalt!

I choose optimism. ;)

You can make that decision personally, not when you are representing other people. This is as bad as she should be in Congress because her husband loves her.

I don't have to make any decisions. Just my mind and opinion. As valid as yours and optimistic.

And yes, the people do deserve the best she can give them and if the best she can give them is enough, then the decision is theirs.

You might have one vote. Use it :)

Let's hope those voters make sound decisions, not ones based on how sorry they are that she got shot.

Let's hope those voters make sound decisions, not ones based on how sorry they are that she got shot.

Just because some people here are commiserating with her ordeal and her strength and tenacity to overcome something this extraordinary in no way means they will vote in the way you hope they will or won't.

You are the one making that connection but you still only have one vote. I hope you are one who uses yours.

So many don't.

"A lot of the strong Democratic activists, the far, far left, aren't happy with me. They don't like the fact that that I'm a Blue Dog and really push fiscal responsibility and deficit reforms. I've voted against my leadership." Gabby Giffords

"I support reform that allows Arizonans who lose their jobs to afford insurance so they can get back on their feet without fear of getting sick." Gabby Giffords

"Well, the good thing, with the announcement, with the National Guard, obviously, that is going to be under a joint jurisdiction. And you know, we wanted more Guardsmen on the border. You know, we called for 3,000. " Gabby Giffords

Gabrielle Giffords Quotes - Page 3

Gabby Giffords is a moderate Democrat in a Republican District and while some may believe that after her tragic injury she may not be capable of being in congress , if she so decides to run that will be up to the voters in her district and from the looks of things she will have a very easy time of it, regardless of where she may stand on issues.

Obviously she will have an easy time in reelection. Any opponent will be disloyal and hate the handicapped. She will get votes not based on her qualifications, but on the fact that she was shot in the head and lived.

Obviously she will have an easy time in reelection. Any opponent will be disloyal and hate the handicapped. She will get votes not based on her qualifications, but on the fact that she was shot in the head and lived.

In her last election against Jesse Kelly she won in a close race, however given the fact that part of her District has turned even more Democrat she would have prevailed in the next election regardless of her injury. As to sympathy votes. perhaps your right, but again that is the choice of those that live in the 8th District and in so doing that is who they wish to represent them in congress. There have been many so called over qualified people run for congress that never got elected as there have been under qualified ones. Her Injury though given the political nature of the 8th District would have most likely not have effected her staying in her seat.

Forum List

Back