Gabby Gifford

What votes that effect her constituency has she missed exactly...???

When she judged her vote as a critical one for her constituency, she DID make her way to the House chamber and cast her vote this summer...As I assume she will continue to do until or unless she is somehow deemed unable to do so, what is the problem going forward?

August 1, 2011

There she was, Representative Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona, appearing unexpectedly Monday evening to cast one of the last votes needed to send the measure over the top.

The full chamber erupted in loud applause as Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the House whip, flicked his eyes from the vote board to Ms. Giffords. It was the first time she had been in the chamber since she was critically injured in an assassination attempt in January in Tucson.

As Ms. Giffords walked tentatively to her seat, accepting embraces and kisses from Democrats and Republicans both, the long and bitterly partisan spectacle that has engulfed the nation seemed to melt quietly away. In its place was a vital blink of hope that ideological intransigence — something Ms. Giffords had little patience for as a lawmaker — had faded in a Capitol that seemed to be careering toward dysfunction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/us/politics/02scene.html?pagewanted=all

VAN SUSTEREN: So how is she? What's the report?

KELLY: She's doing great. She still improves every week. She's really hopeful, I'm really hopeful she will be able to return to work one day. We don't know what that is. Possibly we could see that happening in months. And it's a decision she's going to have to make when she's ready to make it.

VAN SUSTEREN: From what I can sort of piece together, her mind is very quick and very strong, and it's the speech that's not -- that's struggling to keep up with the mind or with the thinking.

KELLY: The biggest disability she has and that she works on every day along with the ability to walk easier, it's her speech. It's coming along all the time when you consider where she was on January 8th, basically in a coma, or a month later she couldn't speak at all and where she is today, it's an incredible recovery and incredible story.

VAN SUSTEREN: But her faculties are good? It certainly seems that way.

KELLY: it seems 100 percent to me. She understands everything, same sense of humor, same attitude about everything. She's been very positive through all of this, and she's getting better all the time.

Giffords' Husband 'Really Hopeful' She'll Return to Congress - Interviews - On the Record - Fox News

Excuse me?! What votes affecting us has she missed?! How many votes do you think the House of Representatives has had since last January, you dumb bitch? She shows up to ONE vote with a lot of fanfare - and NOT because of concern for her district, but so that she could help gin up support for her party, thank you so very kindly - and you think she's fulfilled her obligation to her constituents?

By my count, there have been 859 roll call votes in the House in the last year. You think there's any possibility that a few of them might have had some significance to people living in Tucson, Arizona? You know, given that the House of Representatives is part of a NATIONAL governing body, and Tucson happens to be part of the nation in question, and all.

I sincerely doubt you would be so sanguine about "duties fulfilled" if YOUR Congressional Representative showed up for ONE vote out of 859.

Sit down and shut up, you stupid sow. :slap:

Oh look! When you've got nothing, you pull out the insults.

What votes that effect her constituency has she missed exactly...???

When she judged her vote as a critical one for her constituency, she DID make her way to the House chamber and cast her vote this summer...As I assume she will continue to do until or unless she is somehow deemed unable to do so, what is the problem going forward?

Excuse me?! What votes affecting us has she missed?! How many votes do you think the House of Representatives has had since last January, you dumb bitch? She shows up to ONE vote with a lot of fanfare - and NOT because of concern for her district, but so that she could help gin up support for her party, thank you so very kindly - and you think she's fulfilled her obligation to her constituents?

By my count, there have been 859 roll call votes in the House in the last year. You think there's any possibility that a few of them might have had some significance to people living in Tucson, Arizona? You know, given that the House of Representatives is part of a NATIONAL governing body, and Tucson happens to be part of the nation in question, and all.

I sincerely doubt you would be so sanguine about "duties fulfilled" if YOUR Congressional Representative showed up for ONE vote out of 859.

Not surprisingly, she pulls out the insults quite a lot. :rolleyes:

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of people here who richly earn them. It never ceases to amaze me how much respect twits like you and the sow think you're entitled to, and how little effort you put into being worthy of it.

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of people here who richly earn them. It never ceases to amaze me how much respect twits like you and the sow think you're entitled to, and how little effort you put into being worthy of it.

You are mistaken...it's not an issue of "earning" personal insults...it's an issue of you having NOTHING but personal insults to give.

Are you all so sure that none of you would be upset if you're representative voted only once out of the whole year with no bills being written up for your district?

Are you all so sure that none of you would be upset if you're representative voted only once out of the whole year with no bills being written up for your district?

Most people would be upset with that in the abstract.

But what do most members of congress actually do? Gabby Giffords probably achieves more than most just by being a symbol.

What are rank and file legislators other than warm bodies for the leadership to tally?

Interersting reading, it would seem to me that the people that Gabby Giffords represents are the one's who will decide if she has been a capable representative of them or not. Having seen the response from the people in her district in the Tucson and S. Arizona area I rather suspect they have a very positive opinion of her regardless of how many votes she may have missed. While some may think that it's only the amount of times their representative vote on legislation , I tend to think it matters more if they are voting the way the people of their district wish them to vote and in a lot of cases these days they tend to vote more so for the party they represent rather than the former. So gievn that fact, just keeping a seat warm to vote accomplishes nothing. Further, Gabby Giffords represents for the people in her district a positive message of courage in the face of great trial and that message by itself at least to the people who matter most when it comes to her representation is good enough and the rest is opinion from people who have no votes in the matter.

I wouldn't be upset if Congress as whole only voted on one bill a year. But since Congress as a whole has NOT been idle this past year, you'd better believe I'm incensed at having no voice at all in the shenanigans it has been up to.

But what do most members of congress actually do? Gabby Giffords probably achieves more than most just by being a symbol.

What are rank and file legislators other than warm bodies for the leadership to tally?

Good Lord, do you really think the job of Congressional Representatives is just showing up for an occasional vote and going out for three-martini lunches with lobbyists? It boggles my mind how clueless the American public has become. Just . . . wow.

Interersting reading, it would seem to me that the people that Gabby Giffords represents are the one's who will decide if she has been a capable representative of them or not. Having seen the response from the people in her district in the Tucson and S. Arizona area I rather suspect they have a very positive opinion of her regardless of how many votes she may have missed. While some may think that it's only the amount of times their representative vote on legislation , I tend to think it matters more if they are voting the way the people of their district wish them to vote and in a lot of cases these days they tend to vote more so for the party they represent rather than the former. So gievn that fact, just keeping a seat warm to vote accomplishes nothing. Further, Gabby Giffords represents for the people in her district a positive message of courage in the face of great trial and that message by itself at least to the people who matter most when it comes to her representation is good enough and the rest is opinion from people who have no votes in the matter.

That's because most people are stupid and sentimental and subject to fuzzy thinking, and Democrats not only take shameless advantage of it, they actively work to encourage it.

And let's be serious here. "Positive message of courage"? What has the woman actually DONE? She's recovering from an injury. Yeah, she's done it pretty fast, all things considered, but that's a testament to her body's recuperative system, not to anything she's actively done herself. I'm not entirely sure what heroic action she herself has actually performed that I'm supposed to admire.

That's because most people are stupid and sentimental and subject to fuzzy thinking, and Democrats not only take shameless advantage of it, they actively work to encourage it.

And let's be serious here. "Positive message of courage"? What has the woman actually DONE? She's recovering from an injury. Yeah, she's done it pretty fast, all things considered, but that's a testament to her body's recuperative system, not to anything she's actively done herself. I'm not entirely sure what heroic action she herself has actually performed that I'm supposed to admire.

If anyone doesn't think it takes courage and personal fortitude to recover from a gunshot wound which also took the lives of some of your staff and innocent bystanders and yet remain positive and upbeat in the face of that then they are sadly mistaken. As for asking anyone to admire her,that is up for them to choose, my point was that the people in her district who make those choices as to her electability do so and our opinions on the subject while of course can be voiced hold little meaning when it comes to her representation.

As to taking advantage of it, all the votes of encouragement in congress both Democrat and Republican would seem to suggest otherwise.

Good Lord, do you really think the job of Congressional Representatives is just showing up for an occasional vote and going out for three-martini lunches with lobbyists? It boggles my mind how clueless the American public has become. Just . . . wow.

What do they do?

If anyone doesn't think it takes courage and personal fortitude to recover from a gunshot wound which also took the lives of some of your staff and innocent bystanders and yet remain positive and upbeat in the face of that then they are sadly mistaken. As for asking anyone to admire her,that is up for them to choose, my point was that the people in her district who make those choices as to her electability do so and our opinions on the subject while of course can be voiced hold little meaning when it comes to her representation.

As to taking advantage of it, all the votes of encouragement in congress both Democrat and Republican would seem to suggest otherwise.

Indeed.

If she wadn't a true liberal before, she is now ... with the decreased brain activity and all.

During the 2007 session of Congress, Giffords introduced a bill (H.R. 1441)[23] that forbids the sale of F-14 aircraft parts on the open market.[24] Giffords advocated for a national day of recognition for cowboys as one of her first actions.[25] She voted for the contentious May 2007 Iraq Emergency Supplemental Spending bill, saying, "I cannot, in good conscience, allow the military to run out of money while American servicemen and women are being attacked every day".[26]

Giffords is a member of the Blue Dog Coalition and the New Democrat Coalition. She is a co-founder of the Congressional Motorcycle Safety Caucus. She is the only member of the U.S. Congress whose spouse is an active duty member of the U.S. military.[1] She is also known as a strong proponent of solar energy as well as for her work to secure the U.S.–Mexico border
Gabrielle Giffords - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do believe that Gabby Giffords record does seem to point out that she is less a progressive and more a moderate and does tend to vote as those who she represents want her to vote and it seems to me that is what those in congress should do, rather than vote what they believe the party they belong to say's they should vote.

Forum List

Back