G.O.P. Rep. Refers to Obama as ‘That Boy’

For African Americans? Or for people who drive cars with square wheels?

LOL! And have beady little eyes and flapping heads!!

But seriously, it's code for African American.

To actually refer to people with square-wheeled vehicles and flapping heads, the term used is Canuck.

It would seem Davis thought that.

As I noted earlier on this thread, Macacca "was a code word that translated directly as 'n****r'. It was popular among White Supremacists because they could use it in public and only the other racists knew what it meant."

They could switch to "buffie," that's a really old and forgotten racial slur that should keep people fooled for awhile.

April 14, 2008, 5:19 pm

G.O.P. Rep. Refers to Obama as ‘That Boy’

By Kate Phillips

Updated It sounds like the Kentucky Republicans had a Grand Ole Time on Saturday night, gearing up for battles with the Democrats with a host of barbs that drew laughter and chuckles. Just getting warmed up for the general cycle, and tossing out some red meat, as the cliche goes.

But now circulated, some of the remarks are drawing charges of racial insensitivity.

At a Lincoln Day Dinner in the Fourth Congressional District in northern Kentucky, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell criticized the Democratic presidential candidates, singling out Senator Barack Obama in particular.

“I fear the two Democrats, one in particular, is incredibly naive,” Mr. McConnell said, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader’s political blog, and then noted that that Mr. Obama was still an Illinois lawmaker when the nation went to war. “This is the big leagues now. At what point do you turn off the demagoguery and become a serious, responsible leader?”

Congressman Geoff Davis, took the criticisms of Mr. Obama a few steps further, likening the change slogan to the pitch of a “snake oil salesman.” He then relayed to the audience that he had taken party in a “highly classified, national security simulation” with Obama.

“I’m going to tell you something: That boy’s finger does not need to be on the button,” Mr. Davis said. “He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country.”

Once the “boy” remarks began to circulate on the Internet, the Obama campaign moved swiftly to criticize them. “It’s hard to tell what is more outrageous - Representative Davis’s condescending and personal attack, or his absurd and offensive claim that Barack Obama is not prepared to defend America. Geoff Davis may hide behind offensive tough talk, but he has marched in lock-step with Bush-McCain policies that have devastated our national security, while Barack Obama has stood up against a misguided war in Iraq and worked with respected Republicans like Dick Lugar and Chuck Hagel to secure loose weapons and nuclear materials from terrorists,” Bill Burton, the campaign spokesman said.

Update | 5:30: Mr. Davis has sent a letter of apology to Mr. Obama, and described his comments as a “poor choice of words,” according to The Associated Press.

Back at the dinner, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton didn’t escape the men’s attention either. While saying her candidacy seemed to be teetering on the brink, he added “I hear she hasn’t been this worried since a new Hooters opened” near her home with former President Bill Clinton.

Everybody laughed, according to Ryan Alessi, political reporter for the Herald-Leader.

Oh and one more, because Senator Jim Bunning decided to one-up Mr. McConnell’s description of terrorists and Al Qaeda. “The people we’re fighting against now are worse than Adolf Hitler and Nazis. And we don’t know where they live, half of them,” Mr. Bunning said.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/gop-rep-refers-to-obama-as-that-boy/

Calling him a "boy" is racially insensitive but calling for the destruction of the white race is perfectly acceptable.:rofl:

Calling him a "boy" is racially insensitive but calling for the destruction of the white race is perfectly acceptable.:rofl:
Focus.

Obama never said such a thing. Indeed, Obama condemned Wright's comments; so do I and most people, liberal or conservative.

By your reasoning, if your associate says something offensive, it's okay if I call you something offensive.

If gunny utters a slur, am I entitled to call you a brain-dead redneck hillbilly fuck-faced cracker? I would never do that.

Focus.

Obama never said such a thing. Indeed, Obama condemned Wright's comments; so do I and most people, liberal or conservative.

By your reasoning, if your associate says something offensive, it's okay if I call you something offensive.

If gunny utters a slur, am I entitled to call you a brain-dead redneck hillbilly fuck-faced cracker? I would never do that.

No, Obama subscribes to Black Liberation Theology which its founder made that comment not Rev. Wright. But if you attend a church for over 20 years then you do believe in that church's prinicples and values.

Who is asking for special treatment? Oh, this Republican that wants us to pretend he was using "boy" as a term of endearment.

:rolleyes:

Nope. I didn't say that at all, did I? He used the term in a condescending manner. Like he's the first politician to refer to another politician of the opposing ideology in a condescending manner.

It's making a mountain out of a molehill.

Focus.

You aren't entitled to call anyone that on the upper portion of this board.

You aren't entitled to call anyone that on the upper portion of this board.
I know. That's why I didn't. And I don't feel that way about jreeves.

It was proffered as an example of what could be said to him under the reasoning he was using.

Come on. The man is 20 years Obamas senior. The only time it's wierd to call someone boy is if you or they are your peer or younger.

:eusa_wall:

Did anyone else actually hear the statement?

It was clearly (IMO) a jab at Obama's lack of experience. I do not believe for a second that he would've changed how or what he said if Obama was 100% white bred.

I heard it and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. It could be taken either way.

I intuited it based on the tone, delivery and complete absense of emphasis on the word boy. Every time I've ever heard it used to be racially derogatory, it's emphasized. But you're right, if someone wants to see racial implications in the statement, it isn't too hard to talk oneself into seeing it...obviously. People can talk themselves into just about anything they want to believe, as this place demonstrates all too often. I mean, just consider the guy who thinks social programs can fund themselves without taxes. :rolleyes:

I intuited it based on the tone, delivery and complete absense of emphasis on the word boy. Every time I've ever heard it used to be racially derogatory, it's emphasized. But you're right, if someone wants to see racial implications in the statement, it isn't too hard to talk oneself into seeing it...obviously. People can talk themselves into just about anything they want to believe, as this place demonstrates all too often. I mean, just consider the guy who thinks social programs can fund themselves without taxes. :rolleyes:

To believe that "boy" was intended as anything less than to demean Obama (and yes, to raise the racial spectre, as well) then one would have to ignore the history of the usage of the word "boy" by whites in the South when talking about black men.

I think that's unreasonable.

Do I think he thought to himself "oh, i think I'll use a racially derrogatory term with regard to Obama"? No. I don't. I think he intended to demean him any way he could. He just automatically did it in a way that was shorthand for all of the racial history in the south. His audience understood it and the point was made.

Let me know if you think for a second he'd call George Bush "boy".

im still waiting for one single example of a southern black man calling a southern white man a boy.

You could be absolutely correct but I know when my neighbor made the remark about the nice "******" she didn't emphasize the word "******" at all.

Forum List

Back