G.O.P. Rep. Refers to Obama as ‘That Boy’

CharlestonChad

Baller Deluxe
Jul 2, 2006
Charleston, SC
April 14, 2008, 5:19 pm

By Kate Phillips

Updated It sounds like the Kentucky Republicans had a Grand Ole Time on Saturday night, gearing up for battles with the Democrats with a host of barbs that drew laughter and chuckles. Just getting warmed up for the general cycle, and tossing out some red meat, as the cliche goes.

But now circulated, some of the remarks are drawing charges of racial insensitivity.

At a Lincoln Day Dinner in the Fourth Congressional District in northern Kentucky, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell criticized the Democratic presidential candidates, singling out Senator Barack Obama in particular.

“I fear the two Democrats, one in particular, is incredibly naive,” Mr. McConnell said, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader’s political blog, and then noted that that Mr. Obama was still an Illinois lawmaker when the nation went to war. “This is the big leagues now. At what point do you turn off the demagoguery and become a serious, responsible leader?”

Congressman Geoff Davis, took the criticisms of Mr. Obama a few steps further, likening the change slogan to the pitch of a “snake oil salesman.” He then relayed to the audience that he had taken party in a “highly classified, national security simulation” with Obama.

“I’m going to tell you something: That boy’s finger does not need to be on the button,” Mr. Davis said. “He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country.”

Once the “boy” remarks began to circulate on the Internet, the Obama campaign moved swiftly to criticize them. “It’s hard to tell what is more outrageous - Representative Davis’s condescending and personal attack, or his absurd and offensive claim that Barack Obama is not prepared to defend America. Geoff Davis may hide behind offensive tough talk, but he has marched in lock-step with Bush-McCain policies that have devastated our national security, while Barack Obama has stood up against a misguided war in Iraq and worked with respected Republicans like Dick Lugar and Chuck Hagel to secure loose weapons and nuclear materials from terrorists,” Bill Burton, the campaign spokesman said.

Update | 5:30: Mr. Davis has sent a letter of apology to Mr. Obama, and described his comments as a “poor choice of words,” according to The Associated Press.

Back at the dinner, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton didn’t escape the men’s attention either. While saying her candidacy seemed to be teetering on the brink, he added “I hear she hasn’t been this worried since a new Hooters opened” near her home with former President Bill Clinton.

Everybody laughed, according to Ryan Alessi, political reporter for the Herald-Leader.

Oh and one more, because Senator Jim Bunning decided to one-up Mr. McConnell’s description of terrorists and Al Qaeda. “The people we’re fighting against now are worse than Adolf Hitler and Nazis. And we don’t know where they live, half of them,” Mr. Bunning said.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/gop-rep-refers-to-obama-as-that-boy/

What gets me is they are all cowards and won't come out say it and stand by it. Just let the slur out to sink in and then weasel out of it.

One reporter asked him about finding Obama Bin Laden, until he was corrected.

Anyone who supported Bush has no standing to talk about Obama being a snake oil salesman or being incapable of having his finger on the button

And from that twit Mitch McConnell, it's laughable.

But I do love the consistency of the racial undertones in the GOP campaign. They must be so proud of themselves. I guess the southern strategy lives. :rolleyes:

Honestly, Obama can't criticize anyone for being condescending. And he's about the slickest snake oil salesman I've ever seen.

Did he apologize to Hillary as well? Or is racism less acceptable than sexism?

I always have a hard time figuring out these stupid Republicans.

Awwwwww....cute Allie took up the party line. I'm shocked I tell ya...just shocked.

You do understand that it's not just about being condescending, right? Calling a black man, "boy" is a racial issue.

You do understand that it's not just about being condescending, right? Calling a black man, "boy" is a racial issue.

The hell it is. That is a southern thing. If you don't understand it, then don't comment on it. The term "boy" is used all over the south to refer to people of all colors, including white. If that is racist, then Obama refering to his Grandmother as a "typical" white woman is racist as well.

I don't like McConnell, but he is not beng a racist here. He speaking among friends.

The hell it is. That is a southern thing. If you don't understand it, then don't comment on it. The term "boy" is used all over the south to refer to people of all colors, including white. If that is racist, then Obama refering to his Grandmother as a "typical" white woman is racist as well.

I don't like McConnell, but he is not beng a racist here. He speaking among friends.
He was in the middle of a speech to smear Obama, and called him a "boy". Calling someone your age that you don't personally know a "boy" is derogatory. I don't think this is that big of an issue, but at least we need to call it what it is, which is disrespectful and uncharacteristic of a person we all consider to be a leader of our society.

He was in the middle of a speech to smear Obama, and called him a "boy". Calling someone your age that you don't personally know a "boy" is derogatory. I don't think this is that big of an issue, but at least we need to call it what it is, which is disrespectful and uncharacteristic of a person we all consider to be a leader of our society.

Derogatory maybe, but not racist. But hey, its not like Obama has ever said anything derogatory about anyone though.

Also, McConnell is 20 years his senior. My Granddaddy would tell you that is old enough to call him anythng he damn well pleases.

Derogatory maybe, but not racist. But hey, its not like Obama has ever said anything derogatory about anyone though.

Also, McConnell is 20 years his senior. My Granddaddy would tell you that is old enough to call him anythng he damn well pleases.

It wasn't McConnell that said it. And while it is true that "boy" is used by many southerners to talk down to men of any race, it has long been viewed as a put down of black men.

As a supporter of Obama, I'd highly recommend not making a big deal out of this because I think it can only hurt. First, making race an issue in the campaign on any level hurts Obama, IMO. And second, I heard the audio clip of the comment and I do not believe it was intended to be racially derogatory. IMO, intent matters...most.

And furthermore, the guy that said it isn't running for president.

If McCain or Hillary refer to Obama as "that boy," that would be a political opportunity worth seizing.

yeaa.. it was a racist remark. I mean, we sure can point at all kinds of white people being called BOY in the south, can't we? You'd think the GOP would get the message about the macacca strategy in the information age. Mighta been about to get away with that shit in the 80s but..

Old guys call young guys boy all the time and it has nothing to do with race.

Like I said, I heard the clip and IMO, he wasn't trying to be racist.

But far be it from me to inform you once again that your opinion isn't necessarily fact. :rolleyes:

Four years age difference.

No kidding?

He sounded a heck of a lot older than that.

Regardless though, I still think it's a mistake to make a big deal out of it.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for what I'm about to say, but IMO, blacks are waaaay too sensitive about shit like this. And highlighting what many (not just me by the way) consider hypersensitivity, isn't going to win him any votes.

It wasn't McConnell that said it. And while it is true that "boy" is used by many southerners to talk down to men of any race, it has long been viewed as a put down of black men.

Long been viewed that way by yankees. The man that said it was a southerner (if you can call Kentucky souther) talking to a room full of southerners. This only racist if a yankee says it is. Boy is a referal of age not race.

Forum List

Back