G.O.P. Rep. Refers to Obama as ‘That Boy’

im still waiting for one single example of a southern black man calling a southern white man a boy.

I used to get called one all the time on the court. Got called honky, whitey, cracker, "the white guy/dude". Got called "brah" a lot too. Even got called "token white guy."

BFD.

The real world just isn't as politically correct as some people demand it should be. Everything someone says isn't as sinister as the overly-sensitive try to make it out to be.

I used to get called one all the time on the court. Got called honky, whitey, cracker, "the white guy/dude". Got called "brah" a lot too. Even got called "token white guy."

BFD.

The real world just isn't as politically correct as some people demand it should be. Everything someone says isn't as sinister as the overly-sensitive try to make it out to be.

We aren't talking about a basketball court or a bar or a ball field.

You're right. We're talking about taking a condescending statement and attempting to blow it into something more than what it is.

At a Lincoln Day Dinner in the Fourth Congressional District in northern Kentucky, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell criticized the Democratic presidential candidates, singling out Senator Barack Obama in particular.

“I fear the two Democrats, one in particular, is incredibly naive,” Mr. McConnell said, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader’s political blog, and then noted that that Mr. Obama was still an Illinois lawmaker when the nation went to war. “This is the big leagues now. At what point do you turn off the demagoguery and become a serious, responsible leader?”

Congressman Geoff Davis, took the criticisms of Mr. Obama a few steps further, likening the change slogan to the pitch of a “snake oil salesman.” He then relayed to the audience that he had taken party in a “highly classified, national security simulation” with Obama.

“I’m going to tell you something: That boy’s finger does not need to be on the button,” Mr. Davis said. “He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country.”

No, the congressman knew exactly what he was saying and he knew the national media was going to pick it up. But hey, with bush being in the WH for the last 7 1/2 years I guess lots of GOP members had thought they were back in the old days with their lawn jockeys and black faced antics.

At a Lincoln Day Dinner in the Fourth Congressional District in northern Kentucky, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell criticized the Democratic presidential candidates, singling out Senator Barack Obama in particular.

“I fear the two Democrats, one in particular, is incredibly naive,” Mr. McConnell said, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader’s political blog, and then noted that that Mr. Obama was still an Illinois lawmaker when the nation went to war. “This is the big leagues now. At what point do you turn off the demagoguery and become a serious, responsible leader?”

Congressman Geoff Davis, took the criticisms of Mr. Obama a few steps further, likening the change slogan to the pitch of a “snake oil salesman.” He then relayed to the audience that he had taken party in a “highly classified, national security simulation” with Obama.

“I’m going to tell you something: That boy’s finger does not need to be on the button,” Mr. Davis said. “He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country.”

No, the congressman knew exactly what he was saying and he knew the national media was going to pick it up. But hey, with bush being in the WH for the last 7 1/2 years I guess lots of GOP members had thought they were back in the old days with their lawn jockeys and black faced antics.

Your entire argument is based on an assumption that YOU know what MConnell menat by what he said.

As has already been pointed out ad nauseum, the word "boy" is used in Southern speech often, and without regard to race. The context of what McConnell is saying is politically, not racially motivated. It's OBVIOUS.

So, you have no argument, and this is trying to present something for what it is not for partisan reasons. Too easy.

You do understand that it's not just about being condescending, right? Calling a black man, "boy" is a racial issue.

The hell it is. That is a southern thing. If you don't understand it, then don't comment on it. The term "boy" is used all over the south to refer to people of all colors, including white. If that is racist, then Obama refering to his Grandmother as a "typical" white woman is racist as well.

I don't like McConnell, but he is not beng a racist here. He speaking among friends.

In the south, the only time a white guy is called "boy" is when he is under 20 or by a male relative who is at least 40 years older.

All my relatives are in Virginia and North Carolina. So don't lie.

You do understand that it's not just about being condescending, right? Calling a black man, "boy" is a racial issue.

The hell it is. That is a southern thing. If you don't understand it, then don't comment on it. The term "boy" is used all over the south to refer to people of all colors, including white. If that is racist, then Obama refering to his Grandmother as a "typical" white woman is racist as well.

I don't like McConnell, but he is not beng a racist here. He speaking among friends.

Wow! What denial!!!!

Forum List

Back