Foreign students not a threat, but an advantage

You are a perfect example of someone with very little education and exposure to people from other cultures and experiences. You are culturally and educationally inbred. Thankfully no so with the younger generation I have met.

I have more than enough education for what I need in my life, guno. The foreign cultures I would like to see died out a minimum of 500 years ago, with the beginning of the Renaissance. I have no interest in being exposed to people from other modern cultures and trust me, they have abdolutely no interest in being exposed to ME.

I am definitely culturally inbred. My great-grandmother refused to put anything other than "American" on her census forms when it asked for ancestry or heritage or anything like that. Then again her family came here in the 1680's. That is how I was taught as well. Our "younger generation" in this family is being homeschooled, so they will absolutely be as culturally inbred as I am.

As far as education..... I'm the low end of my family's educational pool with an Associate of Science Degree in Computer Aided Design and Drafting. Most of the others have Bachelors or Master's degrees with a couple PhD's thrown in along the way.

Such Xenophobia from the rightwing

There is nothing in the OP that supports the idea that foreign students are an advantage, nor have you supported this claim with anything other than vague assertions.

There is also nothing in the OP do explain why the concerns of Americans that American students are being harmed by being denied admission slots is not a valid concern.

THis is not xenophobia, and your misrepresenting valid concerns are such is a lie on your part.

So having foreign student study in the United States is bad?

Yes; just like allowing any other foreigners into the US is bad. The same as allowing Americans who have left the country for non-military reasons to return to the US is bad. Equally as bad as allowing foreign products, media, and other communications into the US is bad.

All of those things at least threaten to pollute and water down American culture; which should be the only culture here in this country. When I can drive through the second largest city in New England on the day the US Mens National Soccer Team plays Mexico (or Argentina, Brazil, etc....) and see as many if not more of those country's flags flying in the windows of the apartments as I see American flags IT SICKENS ME, PHYSICALLY. When I walk into a mainstream chain restaurant and find more people speaking Spanish than English, IT DISGUSTS ME.

This is the United States of America. My family members came to this country over a century and a half span from 1680 - 1820 they did so to become AMERICANS, not to maintain any connection to where they had come from (Ireland, England, Germany, Poland, Norway, etc....). They came here because they felt the US was BETTER for them than where they had been. They embraced the AMERICAN way of life; they didn't expect anyone to pander to their old culture. They fought and died for this country, sometime against the armies of the very nations their parents had come here from. We as a family consider ourselves AMERICANS. Nothing else. If other people don't want to embrace that, then I would like to ask them to find somewhere else they prefer and move on.

You are a perfect example of someone with very little education and exposure to people from other cultures and experiences. You are culturally and educationally inbred. ...

Who the fuck do you think you're kidding? You just described yourself, troll.

So having foreign student study in the United States is bad?

Yes; just like allowing any other foreigners into the US is bad. The same as allowing Americans who have left the country for non-military reasons to return to the US is bad. Equally as bad as allowing foreign products, media, and other communications into the US is bad.

All of those things at least threaten to pollute and water down American culture; which should be the only culture here in this country. When I can drive through the second largest city in New England on the day the US Mens National Soccer Team plays Mexico (or Argentina, Brazil, etc....) and see as many if not more of those country's flags flying in the windows of the apartments as I see American flags IT SICKENS ME, PHYSICALLY. When I walk into a mainstream chain restaurant and find more people speaking Spanish than English, IT DISGUSTS ME.

This is the United States of America. My family members came to this country over a century and a half span from 1680 - 1820 they did so to become AMERICANS, not to maintain any connection to where they had come from (Ireland, England, Germany, Poland, Norway, etc....). They came here because they felt the US was BETTER for them than where they had been. They embraced the AMERICAN way of life; they didn't expect anyone to pander to their old culture. They fought and died for this country, sometime against the armies of the very nations their parents had come here from. We as a family consider ourselves AMERICANS. Nothing else. If other people don't want to embrace that, then I would like to ask them to find somewhere else they prefer and move on.

Are you in training for the World Championship of Stupid? You've got to be the odds-on favorite.

It was an American education that allowed the Iranian foreign minister to teach Tom Cotton and 46 other senators how their own Constitution and international law works.

“International education is crucial to building relationships between people and communities in the United States and around the world,” Evan M. Ryan, assistant secretary of state for educational and cultural affairs, said in a statement. “It is through these relationships that together we can solve global challenges like climate change, the spread of pandemic disease, and combating violent extremism.”
...t

A vague and unsupported opinion.

I think you already gave your real reason.

THis flood is reducing diversity of thought, by reducing seats available to conservative Americans who you don't want to see or hear.
Really? How so? I don't borrow for school, nor do I get help from anybody with the costs. So, if this old blue collar liberal can manage that, what the hell is wrong with your conservative Americans? Too lazy?

They also contribute simply by coming from diverse cultures. They add to the richness of the university experience: different cultures, different outlooks, etc. This is something universities all over the world seek: to have diverse student populations. It is a win, win situation for everyone.

LOL. College is about preparing yourself for a career. That is the ONLY useful experience on a college campus so far as I'm concerned. If I'd told my parents I was going to college to "broaden my horizons", "find myself", or "experience new cultures and outlooks" I would not have gotten a single penny for my college expenses from them.
I never got a single penny from my parents. From the time that I moved out, I was making more money than my father. In fact, at the time I was working, and taking welding, blueprint reading, and other classes pertaining to my craft, I was lending my parents money.

Broadening one horizons is an admirable goal, such people don't grow up to be silly bitter old men.

Letting so many foreigners take the limited seats in our universities is self destructive. The US needs to stop issuing student visas.

The US should also stop issuing work visas too.

Wherever they study, the trend here seems to be hiring 'foreign workers' for jobs Americans already have, but companies want to replace with cheaper labor:

Senators Ask Feds To Investigate H-1B Guest Worker Program The Daily Caller

Senators Ask Feds To Investigate Guest Worker Visa Abuse
Rachel-Neutra.jpg

RACHEL STOLTZFOOS
Reporter

6:38 PM 04/09/2015

A bipartisan group of senators urged the Obama administration Thursday to investigate reports that businesses are using a visa program to replace American workers with cheap foreign labor.

The unlikely coalition, led by Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions and Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin, sent a letter to the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor and Department of Justice, asking them to investigate businesses, such as Southern California Edison, suspected of abusing work visa programs to avoid paying relatively high wages to American workers.

SCE has reportedly been laying off hundreds of American workers and replacing them with foreign workers who hold an H-1B visa and are willing to work for lower wages. Some American employees are basically forced to train their foreign replacements....

Floridians Are Displaced Rubio Wants More Foreign Workers The Daily Caller

As Floridians Are Displaced, Rubio Demands More Foreign Workers
Rachel-Neutra.jpg

RACHEL STOLTZFOOS
Reporter

9:31 PM 05/19/2015
Republican senator and presidential candidate Marco Rubio is backing a bill that would triple the number of guest workers businesses could hire every year, after hundreds of workers in his state were fired and literally replaced by foreign guest workers.

Disney, Southern California Edison and most recently Fossil Group have together fired hundreds of American tech workers and forced them to train their foreign replacements, many of whom were flown in specifically to take their job.

“You had me here one day, and the next day you had an Indian worker at a lower skill level sitting at my desk,” one of the hundreds of tech workers who Disney recently fired told The Daily Caller News Foundation.

The big businesses backing this bill and clamoring for more guest workers insist they can’t find enough Americans willing or able to fill certain “high-skilled” jobs. Rubio obviously agrees, and has argued more guest workers and immigration generally will result in more jobs for Americans.

But his office did not respond to multiple requests for an explanation of his support for the bill or a response to his constituents replaced by foreign workers at Disney.

“It’s basically a quest for cheap labor,” Norm Matloff, a computer science professor at the University of California Davis, told TheDCNF. “The abuse of H-1B pervades the entire industry. They all could find American workers if they wanted to, but they want cheap labor and they want immobile labor.”

“Its only purpose is to please the corporate interests that are very heavy campaign contributors,” he added. “That is literally the bottom line.”

The ex-Disney employee concurred, calling the notion of a shortage “completely insane,” given his experience. “There’s not a shortage of IT workers but all the jobs are vanishing,” he said. “I’m completely, completely disenfranchised by IT.”

“I want to have nothing to do with it now,” he continued. “I’m doing my best to get out of it, because there is no future in IT. I would never recommend it to my children.”

Nearly 75 percent of Americans with STEM degrees are not working in STEM Fields, according to Census data, and only 3.8 million Americans with STEM degrees actually hold STEM jobs.

Letting so many foreigners take the limited seats in our universities is self destructive. The US needs to stop issuing student visas.

The US should also stop issuing work visas too.

Nonsense.

Arachnophobia Board

How will this trend affect the investments in American university exchange programs (i.e., Dartmouth-UCSD) and current discussions surrounding ethnic arguments against mainstream culture-biased standardized testing?

Many people feel that an all-around solution to this common plate of issues is to encourage creative thinking and independent learning as definitive alternatives to current curricula.

It's strange how art seems to be way ahead of public policy in addressing such sensitive issues as cross-culture contact in modern society. The popular fictional American comic book superhero Green Lantern John Stewart (DC Comics), for example, is an ethnic minority (African-American).

:afro:

Ethnicity & Standardized Testing

gl.jpg

Transit Tales from the Darkside

I know of a terrific story about two students who meet each other on a college-exchange program when one travels west from New York University and visits the West Coast college where the other is attending full-time:

"The exchange student stole the entire identity of his friend at the West Coast college and then scurried back to his full-time program at NYU and completed his degree on time without getting caught, and in a memoir he wrote years later he remarks, 'It was just as intriguing being the trickster as it was being the traffic-daredevil romantic.'"

Is the populism vigilantism fictional American comic book superhero Green Arrow (DC Comics), an urban archer, America's version of Robin Hood (the real-life English folk hero who valiantly stole from the rich and gave to the poor)?

Can the American economy benefit from student-traffic more than pedestrian/immigrant traffic?

:afro:

Green Arrow (DC Comics - Wikipedia)

mc.jpg

Forum List

Back