Florida Loses $2.4 Billion For High-Speed Trains

Conservatives like the status quo and Liberals like progress. Nowhere is it more obvious than this debate over high speed rail or healthcare.

Oh yea, "high speed trains" are evidence of "usurpation of LIBERTY". I forgot that part. Seems I left my "looniness" at home. Thanks for bringing yours.

it is when there's NO market for it, and TAXPAYERS will ultimately be forced to pay for something they will never USE unless forced to.

Right...gotcha'. Keep up the fight Deany-Bub...:eusa_eh::lol:

and how the fuck will they be forced to dumb drunk?
All of a sudden is the world market on oil going to go, HAHAH i know what we can do, We can raise prices in oil and force people to ride trains! Yeah we are evil!

You are a stupid fuck.

Son? Please keep up with your hyperbole...and you will remain a stupid Parasitic pathetic pissant...

You just don't KNOW squat...but pretenjd that you do.

And by the way? Bite my ass you parasite.

Conservatives like the status quo and Liberals like progress. Nowhere is it more obvious than this debate over high speed rail or healthcare.

once again Junky you have your head up your ass.....MANY Liberals in the Country did not care for the Health care plan shoved down our throats.....and MANY Liberals in my State voted against the High Speed Rail plan for a Train going from LA to Vegas....now if you would take off your Rdean glasses you might have a clearer picture of reality....

Last edited:
*concur* and oversight.

And So am I a Railfan.
Explains why you knew what the U-Boats were. ;)

BTW, Here. Whet your fiction appetite.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/FOAMERS-Novel-Suspense-Jon-Berson/dp/B000H2NAOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300509162&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: FOAMERS: A Novel of Suspense: Jon Berson: Books[/ame]

I have it in hard cover. Excellent read for a first time suspense author. Neat premise.

*ORDERED*...

And as a note?

My Favourite "U-BOAT" Of all time that's Silver bell that resided in front of the windshield now resides in a glass case in the CSX Building Lobby In Downtown Jacksonville, Florida?

3093760-R1-E020-1.jpg

The Spirit Of 1776, Seboard Coast Line, U33B...this Picture in Barstow, California in a Joint Bicentennial project with the Santa Fe...I saw that Locomotive lead many a train through JAX as a teen...

(Photo Courtesy of RailPictures.net)
I remember you used to be able to buy that train for an HO set from Tyco back in the day! NE Wisconsin wasn't very good railroading territory. You had the Chicago & Northwestern and Soo Line. Before I was born we had Milwaukee Road and Green Bay Western, but that was it.

Then it became the Wisconsin Central for about a decade and now it's all Canadian National. :(

I miss short lines and regional haulers

At least in the twin cities I get BNSF, CN, CP, Soo Line, UP, Minnesota Commercial, Twin Cities & Western and a few other local short lines. Plus when I was driving school kids, I'd see Amtrak's Empire Builder come in early in the morning, and of course the Metro Transit's Northstar commuter line.

BTW if you're a rail photography fan, look for books by Don Ball Jr. Some fantastic work. My personal favorite is O. Winston Link, but I can only find him in Calendar form nowadays with the "Steel and Steam" series.

Broad brush there sparky....

I like my Android phone, flat screen TV, and brand new truck with Sync.
I just don't upgrade to these things until I can AFFORD them!
And I don't expect anyone else to pay for it for me....
:eusa_hand:

I am a huge fans of trains. If I could ride a train to wherever I need to go, I'd leave the car in the driveway.
My wife an I are train enthusiasts. We've been on several train excursions and visited three train museums. Doing the Alaska Railroad and the Rocky Mountain run in Canada are on our bucket list. We've been on the rail excursion in NC where the train crash scene was shot for the Harrison Ford film "The Fugitive".
I think rail travel would be a great idea. However government simply cannot be trusted to get it done on time and under budget. So why waste the money? Who knows why anyone would ignore the past, do the same things and expect a different result.

I am a huge fans of trains. If I could ride a train to wherever I need to go, I'd leave the car in the driveway.
My wife an I are train enthusiasts. We've been on several train excursions and visited three train museums. Doing the Alaska Railroad and the Rocky Mountain run in Canada are on our bucket list. We've been on the rail excursion in NC where the train crash scene was shot for the Harrison Ford film "The Fugitive".
I think rail travel would be a great idea. However government simply cannot be trusted to get it done on time and under budget. So why waste the money? Who knows why anyone would ignore the past, do the same things and expect a different result.

I hate trains. Well, freight trains anyway. If there is one thing I would like to see before I die it is the bankruptcy papers for CSX Railroad. I can't even begin to guess how many productive hours I and the men and women of the Tampa Bay Area have lost over the past 12 years because those arrogant bastards block the road in Tampa while switching tracks pulling across the highway so that the last car is almost to the highway and then backing up until the locomotive gets back to the highway, stopping and waiting. Bankruptcy is too good for those SOB's.

And why the hell do they have to do this at traffic time for goodness sake?

Immie

The project, which would have connected Tampa and Orlando with high-speed trains, was rejected by Florida Gov. Rick Scott, a Republican. He said he didn't want to obligate the state to pay for what could be expensive operating costs for the line.

However, the Florida Department of Transportation on Wednesday released a study showing the line connecting Tampa to Orlando would have had an operating surplus in 2015, its first year of operation.

This is what happens when you have a governor who runs the state like businessman and a very bad one at that, instead of like a politician. There would have been job creation in this but Repugs never promised job creation in their campaigns did they? Its clear they don't fucking care.

nah. he's running it like a politician. he's having wet dreams about being president

The project, which would have connected Tampa and Orlando with high-speed trains, was rejected by Florida Gov. Rick Scott, a Republican. He said he didn't want to obligate the state to pay for what could be expensive operating costs for the line.

However, the Florida Department of Transportation on Wednesday released a study showing the line connecting Tampa to Orlando would have had an operating surplus in 2015, its first year of operation.
This is what happens when you have a governor who runs the state like businessman and a very bad one at that, instead of like a politician. There would have been job creation in this but Repugs never promised job creation in their campaigns did they? Its clear they don't fucking care.

nah. he's running it like a politician. he's having wet dreams about being president

There's no way this guy will ever be President:

Florida_Governor_t607.jpg

From the site:

"doesn’t this picture make you think of what the transitional period must have been like for Voldemort?"

:lol:

I hate trains. Well, freight trains anyway. If there is one thing I would like to see before I die it is the bankruptcy papers for CSX Railroad. I can't even begin to guess how many productive hours I and the men and women of the Tampa Bay Area have lost over the past 12 years because those arrogant bastards block the road in Tampa while switching tracks pulling across the highway so that the last car is almost to the highway and then backing up until the locomotive gets back to the highway, stopping and waiting. Bankruptcy is too good for those SOB's.

Immie
Do like my home town did when they suffered this problem. Voted on whether or not to build overpasses and isolate the switching yards from this traffic. Less accidents are caused an trespassing.

Immie
Do like my home town did when they suffered this problem. Voted on whether or not to build overpasses and isolate the switching yards from this traffic. Less accidents are caused an trespassing.

Now there is an idea, although, I am not so sure it has not already been tried. I wonder if we could force CSX to pay for them as well? I doubt that, I think they are already city and county tax exempt. That is how the corrupt individuals at city hall got them here in the first place. Also, unfortunately, I do not live in the city, I live in the county. The city doesn't give a crap what I think.

Immie

A Florida Department of Transportation study shows the line could have had an operating surplus in 2015, its first year of operation. The Miami Herald reported on the findings earlier this month:
The study showed the line would have had a $28.6 million surplus in its 10th year. The numbers are more optimistic than a 2009 study, which concluded the line would have not seen an operating surplus until 2021.

The $1.3 million study, conducted by the forecasting firms Wilbur Smith Associates and Steer Davies Gleave, shows the line would have had 3.3 million riders in its first year. The previous analysis predicted the line would have had 2.4 million riders in 2015.

Other states, like New York and California, have already expressed interest in taking the money for their own high-speed rail projects.

A Florida Department of Transportation study shows the line could have had an operating surplus in 2015, its first year of operation. The Miami Herald reported on the findings earlier this month:
The study showed the line would have had a $28.6 million surplus in its 10th year. The numbers are more optimistic than a 2009 study, which concluded the line would have not seen an operating surplus until 2021.

The $1.3 million study, conducted by the forecasting firms Wilbur Smith Associates and Steer Davies Gleave, shows the line would have had 3.3 million riders in its first year. The previous analysis predicted the line would have had 2.4 million riders in 2015.

Other states, like New York and California, have already expressed interest in taking the money for their own high-speed rail projects.

I saw that report before... maybe it was even posted by you?

It came from FDOT. The thought that they could actually get a project done on time let alone under budget is so far fetched it is not even worth the bandwidth it took to read it twice.

And the number of riders? 3.3 million... I have only one thing to say about that... bullshit. Sorry, but that is the nicest I can be about their analysis.

Immie

I saw that report before... maybe it was even posted by you?

It came from FDOT. The thought that they could actually get a project done on time let alone under budget is so far fetched it is not even worth the bandwidth it took to read it twice.

And the number of riders? 3.3 million... I have only one thing to say about that... bullshit. Sorry, but that is the nicest I can be about their analysis.

Immie
3.3 million riders? Shit. With all the buses, light and heavy commuter rail in the twin cities, we only get around 7 million rides a year. A single line from Tampa to Orlando's going to pull down around half that???? And ridership covers less than 40% of the cost to operate too.

Horseshit indeed.

Last edited:

Immie

Now there is an idea, although, I am not so sure it has not already been tried. I wonder if we could force CSX to pay for them as well? I doubt that, I think they are already city and county tax exempt. That is how the corrupt individuals at city hall got them here in the first place. Also, unfortunately, I do not live in the city, I live in the county. The city doesn't give a crap what I think.

Immie
The state also passed a law saying that trains may not block crossings for more than 10 minutes or they could be fined, and it was a hefty fine. That was extra encouragement, let me tell you.

Immie
The state also passed a law saying that trains may not block crossings for more than 10 minutes or they could be fined, and it was a hefty fine. That was extra encouragement, let me tell you.

Believe it or not I once waited 45 minutes for a train to get off the road about 1.5 miles from my house. I swear the SOB must have taken his lunch break.

I thought CA had a law that trains could not block the roads for more than 20 minutes. I don't know about Florida. I should look that up, not that it would do any good.

Immie

Immie

Believe it or not I once waited 45 minutes for a train to get off the road about 1.5 miles from my house. I swear the SOB must have taken his lunch break.

I thought CA had a law that trains could not block the roads for more than 20 minutes. I don't know about Florida. I should look that up, not that it would do any good.

Immie
Judging high speed rail by some amtrak you took is really not useful.

Immie
Judging high speed rail by some amtrak you took is really not useful.

Where did I say, I was judging HSR by Amtrak?

You need to actually read the thread my friend. We were not even talking about Amtrak. We were talking about freight trains. Also, we were not comparing freight trains to HSR.

Immie

Forum List

Back