Explain this to me, Reagan-Lovers

As someone else has pointed out, Reagan was not President and had not been so for nearly eight years when The Taliban was formed.

As to support of the Mujahideen, Carter authorized CIA help _before_ the Russian invasion. I am unable to cite sources, due to the fifteen post rule. You can Google Carter and Afghanistan and check out the Brexinski interviews. :cool:

reagan_taliban_1985.jpg

Title says it all. Explain to me why Reagan isn't a women-hating, evil asshole.

Reagan can't be anything in the present tense. He's dead you know.

As someone else has pointed out, Reagan was not President and had not been so for nearly eight years when The Taliban was formed.

As to support of the Mujahideen, Carter authorized CIA help _before_ the Russian invasion. I am unable to cite sources, due to the fifteen post rule. You can Google Carter and Afghanistan and check out the Brexinski interviews. :cool:

Carter authorized that the Afghan rebels get non-lethal gear like communications tools. With Reagan they got guns and training.

they didn't call themselves the taliban until after the peshawar accords which were signed in 1992. reagan armed and trained the afghan fighters who later called themselves the taliban because he wanted to bankrupt the soviet union and keep them fighting. that is what bin laden learned from. and every time we spent trillions on war fighting "terror", instead of investing it into our own country, bin laden celebrated because he learned from the U.S. how effective a tactic that is.

Last edited:
Arming the Afghanistani patriots to help them drive out the Soviets was a GOOD THING.

It was instrumental in the eventual downfall of the Soviet Empire which some of you might recall used to be our ally against the Axis power?

But the world has changed, folks, and it will keep changing.

Obviously I'm no great fan of Reagan.

But faulting him for his part in helping the Afghanistani drive the Soviets out of that nation is just silly.

Arming the Afghanistani patriots to help them drive out the Soviets was a GOOD THING.

It was instrumental in the eventual downfall of the Soviet Empire which some of you might recall used to be our ally against the Axis power?

But the world has changed, folks, and it will keep changing.

Obviously I'm no great fan of Reagan.

But faulting him for his part in helping the Afghanistani drive the Soviets out of that nation is just silly.

i'm not faulting him. although i think the soviets would have come crashing down anyway. but i'm simply responding to the comments that we somehow didn't create the monster that's come back to haunt us.

Jesus Christ people need to either learn history or shut up about it. Those guys weren't the Taliban when they visited Reagan.

But let's face it, at SOME point our nation needs to learn that Middle Easterns can't be trusted. EVERY TIME we fall for one of them bullshitting us that they are our friends, we end up getting reamed. And that my friends has happened under both Democrats and Republicans, and anyone who claims differently is a liar.

Afghans are not Middle Easterners.

they didn't call themselves the taliban until after the peshawar accords which were signed in 1992. reagan armed and trained the afghan fighters who later called themselves the taliban because he wanted to bankrupt the soviet union and keep them fighting. that is what bin laden learned from. and every time we spent trillions on war fighting "terror", instead of investing it into our own country, bin laden celebrated because he learned from the U.S. how effective a tactic that is.

Taliban means students. Were these Afghan fighters you speak of students? And if so, explain.

Same reason FDR called the monster who slaughtered millions of his people in Russia "Uncle Joe". FDR needed Stalin to beat Hitler and Reagan helped the Taliban beat the Russians in Afghanistan. Get your head out of your a-hole smash.

Ronald just could not see far enough into the future. In his 1950s world the Soviet Union was the great satan. No debating the evils of the old USSR. Also no debating the evils of the folks we propped up as pawns against them if they used the name Taliban or the name Manny.

Take this as a lesson to make decisions with your blinders off.

Forum List

Back