When did an “NDA” start being referred to as “HUSH MONEY”

What Trump did was not an NDA. If it was a legal agreement trumps lawyer would never have gone to prison. Stop looking for excuses.
That's odd IM2 because all the court documents are calling it an NDA.:cuckoo:

He

wasn’t charged for paying hush money either. He was charged for falsifying business records (misdemeanor) to cover up an underlying crime (campaign finance violations (federal jurisdiction)).

Bragg is literally using a federal crime to float his misdemeanor into a felony.

Correct. There is nothing in the law that says the crime - in this case Cohen’s - can’t be a federal crime and must be a New York State crime.

WW

“HUSH MONEY” is not a legal term.

NDA IS A LEGAL TERM. NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT.

Why is it illegal to pay someone not to disclose personal data and sign an NDA?

Why are those referred to as NDAs and not “HUSH MONEY”?
Trump is not on trial over the NDA. Trump has been charged with falsifying records to conceal the source of the payoff money.

I agree that this is highly selective prosecution and a misuse of the justice system, but Trump would not be in this mess if he had not been sleeping around.

Correct. There is nothing in the law that says the crime - in this case Cohen’s - can’t be a federal crime and must be a New York State crime.

WW

No, but, the crime Bragg is charging is a misdemeanor that has run its statute of limitations by 3 years, and he’s using a federal crime statute to revive his state charge and elevate it to a felony. The federal crime here is a hush money payment that they are attributing as a campaign finance violation. The money was paid out of Trump own personal funds, and not campaign cash, so it would be like a campaign donation to himself, this isn’t illegal, right?

However, this was an NDA that was used to keep an affair quiet, now, there are many reasons a celebrity would do this, which may not have anything to do with a presidential run.

Honestly, I don’t care either way…I’m just ready to get the show on the road. I’m eager to, hooefully, get some honest reporting of the trial. I have little faith in that but, there’s hope.

I dont think this will amount to much. He'll be found guilty of business expense fraud but not election interference. What's another fraud conviction to Trump?

Evidently they think that an NDA includes a payoff.

Well, it's the alternate universe.

What is wrong with a payoff as long as it didn’t come from campaign funds? Right, nothing.

Trump may have tried to make it look like the money didn’t come from him, which is understandable for a public figure, especially one running for office. Big woopty dang do. Just more law-fare by NY Democrats. This would never be pursued if Trump wasn’t a threat to Biden’s thrown.

What is wrong with a payoff as long as it didn’t come from campaign funds? Right, nothing.

Trump may have tried to make it look like the money didn’t come from him, which is understandable for a public figure, especially one running for office. Big woopty dang do. Just more law-fare by NY Democrats. This would never be pursued if Trump wasn’t a threat to Biden’s thrown.
Well you cant write it off as a business expense. I bet that is all he gets convicted of. You have to admit Trump does a lot of business fraud though. Trump U, the Charity Scam that bars him from heading charities, overvalue case he just lost, and now this thing. Thats a lot of fraud.

No, but, the crime Bragg is charging is a misdemeanor that has run its statute of limitations by 3 years, and he’s using a federal crime statute to revive his state charge and elevate it to a felony. The federal crime here is a hush money payment that they are attributing as a campaign finance violation. The money was paid out of Trump own personal funds, and not campaign cash, so it would be like a campaign donation to himself, this isn’t illegal, right?

Correct. The SOL claims are a red herrring as the charges are felony and the SOL didn't expire.

Incorrect. FPOTUS#45 didn't pay out of "personal funds" he paid it out of business funds (Trump the person and Trump Organization being separate entities) claiming paying for the story not to go public (again) as a business expense.

However, this was an NDA that was used to keep an affair quiet, now, there are many reasons a celebrity would do this, which may not have anything to do with a presidential run.

Such as?

Honestly, I don’t care either way…I’m just ready to get the show on the road. I’m eager to, hooefully, get some honest reporting of the trial. I have little faith in that but, there’s hope.

You and me.

WW

Well you cant write it off as a business expense. I bet that is all he gets convicted of. You have to admit Trump does a lot of business fraud though. Trump U, the Charity Scam that bars him from heading charities, overvalue case he just lost, and now this thing. Thats a lot of fraud.

You can deduct NDAs.

It's illegal to lie in bussiness records and break election laws dumbass, which is what Trump did.

Paying off fuck-doll NDA's during election is not a tax-deductable bussiness expense, it's a personal expense and an obvious material contribution to your campaign.

Why are those referred to as NDAs and not “HUSH MONEY”?

Non-disclosures agreements have valid legal uses. I've had to sign one in nearly every job I've ever had. When I worked in banking, I wasn't allowed to disclose anything about customers' personal finances or bank loans. When I worked for lawyers, I wasn't allowed to disclose anything about the files I worked on. When I went to work on Bay Street, I had to sign a BIG TIME NDA, which said no insider trading and no disclosure of anything I was working on.

But when the purpose of the NDA is to keep the public from finding out something they SHOULD know, like "The company I'm working for is poisoning the water", then it's "hush money". When you're being paid to cover up illegal acts, or hide something improper, then it's "hush money.

Forum List

Back