Excellent Video

My honest reaction is that I REFUSE to dwell on the negative ''we can't make it, and are the gutter'' rhetoric.

Showed a lot of pics in the video from times when people would do ANY work to make a living, unlike now days where they won't work for a lower wage.

I could go on and on..but why bother.

• Banned
My honest reaction is that I REFUSE to dwell on the negative ''we can't make it, and are the gutter'' rhetoric.

Showed a lot of pics in the video from times when people would do ANY work to make a living, unlike now days where they won't work for a lower wage.

I didn't have this reaction, though I can understand it.

To me, those are the faces of real Americans. They are the ones I care about, not the billionaires. And it seems to me they have been harmed in similar ways, by the same people.

Prosperity through low wages!

boo fuckin' hoo.

Pick up a hammer or a shovel and rebuild your life and quit sticking your fucking hand out waiting for some miracle man to save you.

Is that your reply to disabled veterans as well?

Pretty sad that the useless hide behind the disabled, and the heros, to cry they too need looking after. There would be lots of resources to look after those that truly need it if those who are capable of doing something for themselves, did it.

boo fuckin' hoo.

Pick up a hammer or a shovel and rebuild your life and quit sticking your fucking hand out waiting for some miracle man to save you.

That depends on the situation. If they refuse to give up the needle then yes. I don't see the purpose of a vet showing me his VFW card and then telling me he needs some money for food - two blocks away from the VFW where he's always going to get a meal and even a few beers. I told that guy to get in the car and as we were driving I told him where i was taking him.

"Oh I don't like the food there." :uhoh3:

Then there was the guy I met last week who said he'd been homeless for 3 years and flew here looking for work and couldn't find any. I asked him if he tried the many citrus plants because it's picking season and he said, "that's for the Mexicans." So this guy is capable enough to take a plane to Florida, supposedly desperate enough to panhandle but won't pick fruit? But I still felt he deserved a meal so I offered to walk with him across the street and buy him lunch. He had the same answer:

"I don't like the food there."

What do you think should be done in those situations?

It worked for me. Without a very low wage I wouldn't have gotten hired when I was working my way through college, but since there was almost no risk I was able to show that I could add value to the company and then I got regular raises.

It worked for me. Without a very low wage I wouldn't have gotten hired when I was working my way through college, but since there was almost no risk I was able to show that I could add value to the company and then I got regular raises.

Oh... Nobody told you. That generally doesn't happen anymore. There's a phenomenon called Taylorism (aka Scientific management) sweeping the nation. When somebody becomes too expensive, they're usually let go and a new, desperate worker replaces them at $7 an hour.

Businessmen love a flooded labor pool; They actually get to exploit the very "Problem" they helped to create. Keeps the rabble on their best behavior. Not only do you not have a choice of several jobs that compete for your labor, but if you lose the one you got, you might not get another one.

boo fuckin' hoo.

That depends on the situation. If they refuse to give up the needle then yes. I don't see the purpose of a vet showing me his VFW card and then telling me he needs some money for food - two blocks away from the VFW where he's always going to get a meal and even a few beers. I told that guy to get in the car and as we were driving I told him where i was taking him.

"Oh I don't like the food there." :uhoh3:

Then there was the guy I met last week who said he'd been homeless for 3 years and flew here looking for work and couldn't find any. I asked him if he tried the many citrus plants because it's picking season and he said, "that's for the Mexicans." So this guy is capable enough to take a plane to Florida, supposedly desperate enough to panhandle but won't pick fruit? But I still felt he deserved a meal so I offered to walk with him across the street and buy him lunch. He had the same answer:

"I don't like the food there."

What do you think should be done in those situations?

Well first, I don't look at poor people and see losers who won't work. I see people JUST LIKE ME who have problems, and need and DESERVE my help.

Addiction is a terrible, difficult problem and I have no easy answers. I commend you for getting involved with these people face to face......but do you really think a vet would be an addict if he had never seen combat? The problems of these men and women are more complex, and they are just as deserving of help.

Oh... Nobody told you. That generally doesn't happen anymore. There's a phenomenon called Taylorism (aka Scientific management) sweeping the nation. When somebody becomes too expensive, they're usually let go and a new, desperate worker replaces them at $7 an hour.

Businessmen love a flooded labor pool; They actually get to exploit the very "Problem" they helped to create. Keeps the rabble on their best behavior. Not only do you not have a choice of several jobs that compete for your labor, but if you lose the one you got, you might not get another one.

Most successful business knows it's the people who make them prosperous. Not many employers are letting go skilled employees so they can hire unskilled replacements for that low of a wage.

Can you back up the claim employers are doing this? I call bullshit on it happening to the level you're claiming.

Most successful business knows it's the people who make them prosperous. Not many employers are letting go skilled employees so they can hire unskilled replacements for that low of a wage.

Can you back up the claim employers are doing this? I call bullshit on it happening to the level you're claiming.

I can certainly give you anecdotal evidence.....far too many of my friends are not working, or can only find "contract" jobs where they are never secure and have no benefits. And are paid about 25% of their former salaries for the same work.

I suppose that's true for people who don't add value above that amount. That is one of the problems with the minimum cost to have a full time employee at $20,000; any role that doesn't produce above that level disappears.

I don't love a flooded labor pool because it's harder and more expensive to find a good fit amidst the hundreds of inquiries.

Exactly.

I posted this in another thread..

Competitive Impact Statement : U.S. v. Lucasfilm Ltd.

And in my industry they've been "Offshoring" and hiring "Consultants".

Well, it's concentrated in retail, that is Co-op and franchise format chain stores. McDonalds, Home Depot, Wal/K-mart/Target, etc. Their competition is quickly squashed by them when they move into the area (can't compete with the buying power), and their workplace practices are far more 'Streamlined.' All S&R are done in-house by massive port-based import warehouses and nationwide distribution centers and are highly automated. On one hand, you may rightfully applaud this 'Efficiency,' but the result is unemployment and underemployment nonetheless.

Meanwhile we know where the manufacture of these goods has gone.

Unemployment and underemployment in general are perpetual problems, because their respective populations don't have money to spend, and the lagging economy spreads to other sectors.

Someone satirized this well once, I think it was George Carlin. He said "It's a big country club... And you ain't in it. You and I are not in the 'big club.'"

Forum List

Back