Example of the best form of government

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I think I have asked this before and either got no responses or lost track of the post. If there were some responses just show me where to find them.

There are plenty of examples of relatively "large" governments in the world. Where is the leading shining star example of the world's best "small" or libertarian government? I think Mexico is unfairly put out as an example of a small government just because its government has trouble staying in power.

Even if there is somehow not one in the 190 or however many constitutions exist currently on earth, when was the best? It could be America under the Articles of Confederation, whoever.

The leading shining star is all the actions of the people of the world who do not work for government. The people who build automobiles, houses, electronics, energy, grow and process food, serve a need, entertain people, etc. The productive people of this world (and there are billions of them) are a shining example to me of what we can accomplish for each other peacefully and voluntarily.

There is no shining example of government because all they do is put a damper on or drop a nuke (depending on the size and scope) on peaceful people trying to help themselves by helping others (see: real jobs).

We free men and women are in a constant Manichean struggle between liberty and the need to survive in a society. This struggle ebbs and wanes in the democratic world, though I personally observe there is more ebbing of freedom than waning these days.

Here in Australia our freedom is being eroded in the name of our own safety.

It is all being restrained for our "own good."

We have ridiculously low speed limits, the police can search your car and breathalyser you for any reason at any time, and the safety culture here is so insane they want you to wear a reflective vest if you work in a parking lot.

Sorry, but if you can not work in a parking lot without getting run down Darwin really wanted your stagnant gene pool to dry up.

They want to tax the shit of fast food.

This is all, we are told, for our own good. We can not make our own decisions, take our own risks, some half wit government official knows what is best for us. They want the perfect, safe society. (Probably because they work in safe jobs, immune from market forces.)

Not one traffic death, not one accidental death. We can have no imperfections or failure.

Freedom implies consequence. That you may fail, get hurt, or die.

Freedom and perfect safety are antithetical concepts.

Only the totalitarian seeks perfection in his own image.

Last edited:
Where is the leading shining star example of the world's best "small" or libertarian government?
America, prior to Teddy Roosevelt.

Some would argue prior to Lincoln, but I'm making it easy here. :eusa_whistle: :D

Lets go back to prior to Lincoln. Between the civil war and Roosevelt 1 I always think about Pa Ingalls taking his family out to some territory to farm land which big government aid gave him because conditions of the industrial revolution made cities more miserable than braving Indian attack.

Forum List

Back