Obama gives foreign cops new police powers in U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by P F Tinmore, Dec 30, 2009.

1. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,927
    "In light of what we know and can observe, it is our logical conclusion that President Obama's Executive Order amending President Ronald Reagans' 1983 EO 12425 and placing INTERPOL above the United States Constitution and beyond the legal reach of our own top law enforcement is a precursor to more damaging moves," they wrote.

"When the paths on the road map converge – Iraq withdrawal, Guantánamo closure, perceived American image improved internationally, and an empowered INTERPOL in the United States – it is probable that President Barack Obama will once again make America a signatory to the International Criminal Court. It will be a move that surrenders American sovereignty to an international body whose INTERPOL enforcement arm has already been elevated above the Constitution and American domestic law enforcement," they said.

Anthony Martin at the Examiner noted the international agency now can operate in the U.S. will "full immunity" from U.S. laws and "with complete independence from oversight from the FBI."

Obama gives foreign cops new police powers in U.S.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Guess what? Here's something even worse. In the United States it has been approved by the Supreme Court that a police officer can lie to a suspect during an interrogation and evidence produced from that lie is admissible. In my jurisdiction that would be sufficient cause for judicial discretion to excise any evidence from the interview and investigation due to misleading the suspect.

And you are getting your knickers in a twist over this?

And are you aware that the NYPD has intelligence operatives working in various countries around the world and that they are doing so because various national governments approve of that?

Does it occur to you and anyone else that cooperation is good, that we should back each other up against these nutters?

We are on the same side.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think cooperation between friendly governments regarding terrorism is a good thing. I don't think opening the door to the International Courts is however. That is the problem.

4. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,927
    "a police officer can lie to a suspect during an interrogation"

Not only that but they can lie on the witness stand. They do it all the time.

5. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,770
    I agree with the cooperation but the international court can take a damned hike. I sure don't want some international court making the legal decisions for me in this country.

6. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,845

yeah, cooperation is a one-way street.

7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Not all the time, that's an exaggeration.

8. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    First, You Know that Interrogators can lie to You, Second, You know to have Your Lawyer Present.
    I know that the Constitution is an Obstacle to the Liberal Mind, Yet do You ever consider that it is such by design?

9. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Allowing police to deceive a suspect in an interview isn't acceptable to me, if you're okay with it then fine.
    One piece of advice - say nothing until you have your lawyer with you. That advice will not be heard by some.
    What has the Constitution got to do with these issues?

10. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    We are not talking about cooperation here. What we are talking about is that INTERPOL can now operate within the USA without any oversight from any US legal departments or Law Departments. They may make an arrest and remove the suspect from the country without any of our legal protections. And you see nothing wrong with this? And that's only one instance. They do not have to follow US law......DUH