'Evil little thing' or defender of the constitution?

You guys claim it was supposed to mean one thing.

The founder of the constitution ( the guy who wrote most of it) says it means another.

I side with Madison.

You side with partisan lies.

James Madison's Veto Messages by Gene Garman

June 3, 1811

I have recd. fellow Citizens your address, approving my Objection to the Bill contain[in]g a grant of public land, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House Missippi Terry. Having always regarded the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S. I could not have otherwise discharged my duty on the occasion which presented itself. Among the various religious Societies in our Country, none have been more vigilant or constant in maintain[in]g that distinction, than the Society of which you make a part, and it is an honourable proof of your sincerity & integrity, that you are as ready to do so, in a case favoring the interest of your brethren, as in other cases. It is but just, at the same time, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House, to remark that their application to the Natl. Legislature does not appear to have contemplated a grant of the Land in question, but on terms that might be equitable to the public as well as to themselves. Accept my friendly respects

James Madison

its clear what it means to anyone whos not a partisan hack

To me this goes beyond the intent of the founding fathers. Articles of religion like the ten commandments on courthouses and this prayer (although being 8 feet high is a little overboard) do not infringe on that separation. If the people of this country want to bar all religious symbols from government property start with the currency!!

one_dollar_bill_reverse-united_states_.jpg

Is this separation of state and religion? If it is then what is a prayer hanging on a wall. She says it makes her feel like she does not belong. Perhaps the money should make her feel that she does not belong in America?

No problem taking that phrase off of money. It will spend just as well without it.

No it won't A bill without "In God We Trust" is counterfeit crap!

distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S.

Guarenteed in the constitution.

James Madison

Prove it.

Show where the 1st admendment says seperation of church and state.
Even your links showed they come from letters not the constitution.

Dear Idiot partisan hack,

That is the words of Jamed Madison.

He is considered the Father of the constitution.

Do you know why he is called that?

Because he wrote most if it

Then show me, in the Constitution and not some seperate document, were it says seperation of church and state.
It is my claim, proven by fact, that the seperation clause was added by the courts.
It is also my claim and others, and this is the chief debate, that the courts have gotten it wrong.

So....you are asserting that if the Constitution doesn't have the EXACT words "separation of church and state" that therefore there is NOT separation of church and state?

June 3, 1811

I have recd. fellow Citizens your address, approving my Objection to the Bill contain[in]g a grant of public land, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House Missippi Terry. Having always regarded the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S. I could not have otherwise discharged my duty on the occasion which presented itself. Among the various religious Societies in our Country, none have been more vigilant or constant in maintain[in]g that distinction, than the Society of which you make a part, and it is an honourable proof of your sincerity & integrity, that you are as ready to do so, in a case favoring the interest of your brethren, as in other cases. It is but just, at the same time, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House, to remark that their application to the Natl. Legislature does not appear to have contemplated a grant of the Land in question, but on terms that might be equitable to the public as well as to themselves. Accept my friendly respects

James Madison

That means govenment taxpayer money should not be given to the Church.

why do you people do this?

why do you refuse the words right from the guys mouth who wrote our constitution?

Have you ever read the first amendment?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is nothing about the separation of church and state.

There is a prohibition on passing laws respecting an establishment of religion.

As far as I know no laws were passed making it mandatory for that school to hang a prayer.

And by removing the sign isn't the free speech of the students who gave the sign to the school as a gift being denied?

I personally think she's being a tad hysterical.... but 16 year olds are rarely the most rational people on earth. I just don't see the harm with a prayer on a wall.... and I would say the same thing if it was a quote from Karl Marx. It's words - no one should fear words. And words are free speech. Which I passionately defend.... even when those words offend me.

A blunt strike to the psyche can be just as unpleasant as a physical strike to the body. Mental abuse can be just as harmful as physical abuse when one is forced to tolerate.
A prayer on a wall that's been there for 49 years is suddenly a blunt strike to her psyche? What about to the thousands of people who took comfort in seeing those words on the wall for half a century?
This little girl needs to develop a thicker skin. With an attitude like her's, she'll likely take blunt strikes to her psyche pretty much daily in adulthood.

Still waiting........:eusa_whistle:

June 3, 1811

James Madison

That means govenment taxpayer money should not be given to the Church.

NO he is saying the constitution contains a distinction between religion and civil government.

He says its guarenteed in the constitution HE WROTE

You guys claim it was supposed to mean one thing.

The founder of the constitution ( the guy who wrote most of it) says it means another.

I side with Madison.

You side with partisan lies.

Point to where, in the constitution, NO LAW means make a new law regarding free exercise of religion

Its a government building and should promote NO religion

Can you show me that in the COTUS?

I've made my quote and you can't argue based on that point so you change the parameters.

Congress can't pass a law 'establishing' a state religion.
Nowhere does it say anything that you claim it does

Forum List

Back