Does God Exist?

That's great that people learned something from his death. But what has a child done to deserve death at such a young age. What productive lesson could possibly be learned from hundreds of thousands of children dying of cancer every year? It doesn't add up.
I don't pretend to know it all, my friend.
I can only take comfort in the promise that one day all will be revealed. (or not ;) )

And that's where one of my major problems with the whole concept of God comes from. Stuff like that, just doesn't make sense to me and once you find one chink in the armor you start to question everything else in even greater detail.
I've done quite my share of questioning and doubting along the journey of my spiritual journey.
Cancer and other illness, the way it was taught to me, is all part of the sin/corrption that entered into humankind from Adam and Eve.
That was why they had such long lifespans back then. The 'yeast' hadn't 'leavened' yet.

I see from the more recent posts that gods are generally needed to explain the unexplainable. I prefer to think that natural processes have a lot to do with things in this world.

I too, do believe that we were meant to learn in part from cause and effect, only, by design, not arbitrarily.

They are not all the same deity--but the formulation of each religions perspective may be from the same sources!!:tongue:

There is only one god. I wonder if the Chrsitians and muslims ever wondered why Jews took such painstaking attempts to prove that Jehovah was the god of the Jews. But then, they probably knew thus explaining some of their members anti-semantism.

If there is a god, you may have to admit more than one and then exclaim faith to the god that defend your people. Western Theology maybe a system of plagarism and recasting others ideas to setup an ordered society.

Given this type of way of looking at religion, it may not be a good idea to break their idols!

Consider that a form of good advice.

There is only one god? That is your opinion and you are welcome to it.

Actually, I meant to put that in quotes since that is the cornerstone of faith belonging to Christians and Muslims. In truth, if the Christians and muslims are correct, there are numerous gods!

If you believe Jesus Christ, then there are many gods. Paul said the same effect. The difference is we Worship one God, The Father.

IF god exists then one of the following statements has to be true

1) He is a cruel, spiteful God. (look at the world today for evidence of good people dying every minute)
2) He is powerless (look at the world today and tell me why so many bad things happen every day to good people)

OR

Neither of the above statements are true because.......There is no God.

Using Occam's Razor I will go with the last choice.
There is no God.

I disagree that those are the only alternatives.

The Lord gave His Son to ensure that no matter what we experience in life, we can be healed. Even death itself loses its power.

The problem with us is we don't look at life through the eternal perspective. Only through it's current predicaments, many of which blind us to the big picture.

If you want to know God, talk to him.

There is no proof of god.

There is no reason to believe in things that there is no proof of.

What a silly assertion. If we all had that attitude, it would be impossible to learn anything. Heck, Science is based on the idea that you create a hypothesis and then test it to see if it's correct. If you never venture out and test things you arent sure about, you never become sure of them.

What a silly assertion. If we all had that attitude, it would be impossible to learn anything. Heck, Science is based on the idea that you create a hypothesis and then test it to see if it's correct. If you never venture out and test things you arent sure about, you never become sure of them.

But there are tangible things to back up scientific hypothesis. There is no tangible evidence of a god. Only belief...

I dont need FEAR to make me stay honest.

Well, I'm not sure what you'll need, but I hope you find it someday. The dishonesty is getting rather tiresome.

I treat my fellow man like I would wish to be treated.

Really? You want to be treated like crap? Because you certainly treat many of the people like that. Or maybe you want to be treated like a child.

Some of the best humans I know dont believe in god.

And what makes them the best people?

Some of the worst people I know believe in god.

I highly doubt that. We all know you're an excellent judge of character

I believe in God.
Those that don't believe in God will someday wish they did.

Why is that? In what situation would I possibly wish I believed?

When you stand before Him to be judged.

I know if I didn't know there was a God, I would have wished to believe at that point. I would feel really stupid and embarassed that I didn't bother finding out.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that one. I just have to make sure I live according to the principles the Lord has given me so that I am not embarassed then if I dont.

The answer is no body knows. Anyone who claims to 'know' God exists is lieing (if only to themselves). Just like anyone who claims to 'know' God doesn't exist is lieing. We are told God was kind of big on this concept of faith. Faith is the belief in something without evidence for it. And 'knowing' God exists would entirely defeat the purpose of having faith in God.

If there is such a thing as God it is not required that he either be spiteful/cruel or powerless. The alternative and one that I think makes the most sense if one does exist is that God is all powerful, he just doesn't use/abuse that power. I don't believe God answer prayers or does miracules. To be just he would have to do them for everyone or no one. A God can not justify allowing someone women to be beaten, raped and killed and intervene and save some one elses life. If God exists this life is a test, that he does not interfere in, in preparation for the next life.

I disagree. I know there is a God. And I am not lying. You can claim that all you want. But who am I to deny God? He has testified to me through the Holy Spirit that He is there. I've felt His love. I've felt His power and glory. In fact, I can feel it now. So humbling and yet so joyful.

Simply because you don't know doesnt mean others dont. Im sure you know many things I don't as well. The scriptures teach us to come and find out for ourselves. How did Peter know that Jesus was the Christ? The Father revealed it to Him. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is a God of revelation. A God of Miracles. I've seen them. And I can witness to them.

Ive analyzed it at every possible angle. Looked at it through the prism of both doubt and belief. Tested it every way I can think of. I am still testing and learning. I am still asking questions. But I would be lying if I said I didn't know there was a God.

The beauty of it is, you don't have to take my word for it. You don't have to believe me. You can find out for yourself. You can go to the Lord and talk with Him. Act in faith and learn from Him.

I dont think we've learned a fraction of what He is prepared to share with us.

I don't know. Neither does anyone.

How do you know that no one else does? How can you know unless you know their thoughts and experiences? Why presume that because you don't, that no one else does?

A great quote that I'd heard a while ago.......

I'd rather live as if there WAS a God and die to find out there isn't, than to live like there ISN'T a God and die to find out there is.

What are you implying, that you only do the right thing because you think God is watching and judging?

Some people do. They don't understand things.

The truth is when you have felt the Love of God you cant help but share it with others. You cant help but serve others to help them be better. It's something in you that you just want to do what's right so that others may be as happy as you are.

But one of the key things about knowing God is that you can know what is right. Because the Spirit will teach us what is right.

How can you do what's right without knowing it?

But there are tangible things to back up scientific hypothesis. There is no tangible evidence of a god. Only belief...

I am not tangible? I exist. I eat. I breath. I have organized systems in my body to provide me and my posterity with life.

I am free.

Miracles happen all the time.

You might not be convinced, but to pretend there are no tangible evidence of God is absurd.

[

I am not tangible? I exist. I eat. I breath. I have organized systems in my body to provide me and my posterity with life.

I am free.

Miracles happen all the time.

You might not be convinced, but to pretend there are no tangible evidence of God is absurd.

Prove that you are a result of God's work. You can't. You can believe you are, but that is not proof....

Prove that you are a result of God's work. You can't. You can believe you are, but that is not proof....

It's evidence. Enough to draw a hypothosis and test it.

You have two choices. You can wait around for proof of everything and learn nothing. Or you can test and try things and learn something.

Maybe you should stop waiting for people to prove things to you and instead take an interest in learning things for yourself. Test and try things. It makes life fun.

I don't know. Neither does anyone.

How do you know that no one else does? How can you know unless you know their thoughts and experiences? Why presume that because you don't, that no one else does?

Their thoughts wouldn't produce knowing God exists, they would produce believing, perhaps............but knowing? No.

You have two choices. You can wait around for proof of everything and learn nothing. Or you can test and try things and learn something.

Maybe you should stop waiting for people to prove things to you and instead take an interest in learning things for yourself. Test and try things. It makes life fun.

It's not even close to being evidence. Faith is not evidence.

I do test and try things. I also read on science and discoveries etc. What does that have to do with your faith?

I put the same amount of 'faith' in there being a god as I do the Easter Bunny, Father Xmas and the Tooth Fairy. IOW, not much.

You see wonder all around you and attribute it to a god - an all-powerful, omnipresent being. I see the same thing and put it down to nature...shrug...

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and find out there isn't than live it as if there isn't and find out there is...

That's how I felt at one time but now I know there's a God and he's working hard in my life. I feel his hand in my life every day.

For those that don't feel his work in their lives, he's real, you choose not to see him.

You will have to catch Him (or Her ) and ask.

But what if God thinks that all of our concepts of God are really stupid?

Like, "How can they imagine that I am that DUMB?" :cuckoo:

Religions seem to promote concepts of God that serve the interests of the religion.

psik

I believe in God.
Those that don't believe in God will someday wish they did.

Why is that? In what situation would I possibly wish I believed?

When you stand before Him to be judged.

I know if I didn't know there was a God, I would have wished to believe at that point. I would feel really stupid and embarassed that I didn't bother finding out.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that one. I just have to make sure I live according to the principles the Lord has given me so that I am not embarassed then if I dont.

So you believe in God out of fear of being (potentially) embarrassed?

Explain to me why children die of cancer if there is a god.

Forum List

Back