Doberman or Shepherd?

I certainly understand! Sadly, there are many, many stories at dogsbite.org that are heart wrenching to read - babies killed and adults maimed for life, sometimes by the Fido they raised and adored from puppyhood.

My overall point was that while I once also believed that bad/vicious dogs - or rather, the bad/vicious acts of dogs - were the result of bad dog owners, not inherently bad dogs, I've learned that it's not true at all.

Far too many dog maulings of other dogs and people have been at the fangs of dogs who were raised to be sweet family pets and always acted that way, until something snapped and they became killers. That's a scarier reality than the truth that even good people can end up with a dog that mauls.

This is off topic to the 'Doberman or GSD' topic of this thread, but I think we all need to rethink our relationships to dogs in this society, and what we thing we know about them and how they 'tick'.

Again, I'm a HUGE dog lover - as I write this post I'm snuggled in bed with the aforementioned shepherd mix rescue, and the Australian shepherd/blue heeler/?? Rez dog rescue who joined our pack 2 years ago - but I've learned through personal experience that a dog you deeply love and have trained well can act in ways that you never predicted. Never trust any dog 100%.

It was just a few months ago I read about a Belgian Malinois LEO dog that bit a human LEO in the face while he was posing for a picture with the dog. LEO agencies put big $$$ into buying and training their dogs, and even they can bite for no apparent reason, without any real provocation.

I like the short fur; and as such, am leaning toward the Doberman. However, I am interested in hearing other folks experiences with these breeds.

Shepherd.

Dobie breeders have pretty much bred the protectivness out of the Doberman since the 70's.

The GSD is the best. They are great in Shutzhund which is protection training because the breed can do it all. The bite work, tracking and obedience.

Definetely go with the Shepherd. I have for over forty years.

Are you kidding me? My Dobermans are extremely protective. Guard dogs. They even seem to know what I mean when they would alert me to someone outside and I'd say "What good guard dogs!" They knew what they were doing and they were proud of it and appreciated the recognition. Brilliant dogs. My Greta died a year ago, but I still have Hannah.

Oh, and as far as trusting dogs...I would trust both of my Dobermans with my life. After all, that's the specific purpose they were bred for...personal protection. Greta used to get ahold of a shoe or something and then growl at me when I'd try to get it from her. So one day I just stuck my hand in her mouth and said, "What're you going to do? Bite Mommy????" Of course, she didn't bite Mommy. She looked at me with renewed respect after that, though, because she realized I wasn't the least bit afraid of her. :) God, how I miss that dog.

Shepard all the way. though I like Dobermans too

My last dog. Half Shepard half Husky. Had to put her down in 06 from cancer.

Shepard's do have a lot of problems with their back haunches.

Shepard all the way. though I like Dobermans too

My last dog. Half Shepard half Husky. Had to put her down in 06 from cancer.

Shepard's do have a lot of problems with their back haunches.

What a beautiful doggy though! :) I have to admit that, as far as looks go, I definitely prefer the German shepherd.

yep. I've always been partial to Shepard's. Not only one the smartest but beautiful and gentle

Unless trained for other jobs, then LOOK OUT

1559312_822059421200243_4993617712372112102_o.jpg

My sweet Greta. Definitely beautiful, definitely smart. Unfortunately, she got that dilated cardiomyopathy that Dobermans are so prone to. And it's always fatal. Looking into her eyes was like gazing into the eyes of a very old and wise soul.
Greta2.jpg

GSDs and Dobermans are great dogs. If you are looking for that type of dog, you should also be looking at Rottweilers IMO.

I'm getting a dog and have narrowed it down to the two.
Her function will primarily be that of a companion/family dog. However; she will be receiving professional personal protection training.
So what are your opinions on which better fits the bill?
Doberman, or Shepherd?
Shepherd, absolutely no doubt about it.

Dobermans are for used car lots and such, they are loners and do fine alone.

Shepherds are like sweet people who become part of the family.

There is nothing loving about a Doberman.

You would regret it until the day you had to shoot the son-of-a-bitch.

I'm getting a dog and have narrowed it down to the two.
Her function will primarily be that of a companion/family dog. However; she will be receiving professional personal protection training.
So what are your opinions on which better fits the bill?
Doberman, or Shepherd?
A German Shepherd is the finest dog a man can own.

I would not even consider a Doberman; I'd leave a sleeping infant with even half way trained Shepherd.

Roadrunner

Almost every time we hear of a child being killed by a dog, the clueless idiot owner will say some dumb thing like, "I don't know, he was always fine before".

Do not ever ever ever ever leave a baby alone with a dog, even a dog you THINK you know.
At 66 next week, I doubt I will be having any babies.

Forum List

Back