Doberman or Shepherd?

GSDcolors2.jpg

Id say German Shepard (only because I'm more familiar with them)
Ive worked at a vet hospital for 5 years and have only seen one Doberman. Seen many Pits, Rottweilers, Shepards & a few chows.
Obviously a great owner knows each dog has a unique personality while at the same time takes into consideration breed traits that are common.
Hey, get a Belgian Malinois...they are beautiful, loyal, energetic and... intense. lol

haters gotta hate.....i love dobies....i have had them for over 34 years now.....not one growl towards me or the family...great protectors however to those who are not from the family and not loners...i always have at least two dogs..and the dobies always fit in...granted as alpha male

haters gotta hate.....i love dobies....i have had them for over 34 years now.....not one growl towards me or the family...great protectors however to those who are not from the family and not loners...i always have at least two dogs..and the dobies always fit in...granted as alpha male

I dont hate dobermans at all. I think they are beautiful dogs...I just never see them.

I'm getting a dog and have narrowed it down to the two.
Her function will primarily be that of a companion/family dog. However; she will be receiving professional personal protection training.
So what are your opinions on which better fits the bill?
Doberman, or Shepherd?

Doberman.

Shepherd #3
German Shepherds are loyal and defensive, so they are perfect as guard and law enforcement dogs. But this kind of dominant, aggressive behavior is not great around little ones. They are also so intelligent that when they feel bored they can become overly rambunctious. German Shepherds are responsible for 63 attacks on children.

http://dog-breeds.findthebest.com/s....cm.ob.dt.2604&utm_term=dt#12-German-Shepherd

i will now point out that dobermans did not make this list......so yall can fuck off...thank you

Her function will primarily be that of a companion/family dog. However; she will be receiving professional personal protection training.
Doberman, or Shepherd?

I had a male blue Doby 132 lbs. The smartest bravest dog I have ever had contact with. Had him seven years. I could take him anywhere and he was a perfect gentleman. I could leave him with friends when I had to travel without him. I keep saying "Him" because for pesonal protection you want the mindset of the top dog. Now here is what you need to look for in a Doby. It's all in the shape of the skull. The Doby's with small skulls tend to be skittish and less intelligent than the ones with bigger heads. The big headed one's just seem to be more relaxed.

Sheppards are great dogs also. Their hair is longer and requires more maintenance to keep clean enough to not smell like a dog which not all people enjoy.

Now my current occupation requires contact with bad people several times a night every night and I would trade my 125lb red nose male and 70lb blue female pit bulls for ANY breed. I haven't seen the dog or man my pits couldn't take down. They just don't know what the word back off or quit means. Pits like mine ARE NOT for everyone. But neither is an AK 47 needed for most home defense weapons.

If you live a long way from a speedy police response and have anything worth stealing I would recommend the extra large pit bulls. They will at least hold off ANY intruder/s until you can position yourself with a firearm to complete the defense of what you hold dear.

Last edited:
huggy means he would not trade his pits.....mistyped.....

go with the dobie..damn it

i love them and i stay with males...the females are just really territorial

Doberman, or Shepherd?
Dobies give me the creeps but I have never seen them do anything wrong. Personally I would pick Shepherd.

huggy means he would not trade his pits.....mistyped.....

go with the dobie..damn it

i love them and i stay with males...the females are just really territorial

True story Bonsey! Thanks for the edit. I re read it too late to make that change.

383490_487463361274981_240102870_n.jpg

This is my big male pit "Dre" with a friend of mine. You can see from his demeanor that he is a wonderful companion as well as large enough to take care of bidness when the shit hits the fan. Smart as a whip, loyal as anything on the planet, gentle with strangers unless they threaten. One great dog.

Last edited:
a pic is worth a thousand words

waarzoujijvanschrikken.jpg

Lol. That's photoshopped. :D

no its not.....lol.....we all let our little one run in front of dogs....but it made a funny pic

still go with the dobie

I can't decide. I like all dogs. It would come down to the dog's personality for me, I suppose. Regarding the above meme, if I was to get a dog, I would want it to be a friendly and nice dog. It's just too risky to have "guard" dogs or "attack" dogs nowadays. If those dogs ever get lose and bite or maul a person or another pet . . . then the owner is screwed and so is the dog, so I would prefer a nice calm mellow dog.

Forum List

Back