85 yr. old Woman's Family Sues Retirement Community after Fatal Gator Attack

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
The family blames her death on not being able to walk her dog on the street, I think the question of liability will be challenged that she knew of the dangers of gators and should have never gotten so close to the lake with her dog. I am guessing the family will say she was not right mentally and not able to judge if it was safe or not. I wonder if it helps, or hurts, her family's chances that it was captured on video.

After watching the video, I think they have a good case. A good lawyer can probably negotiate a 3 figure settlement to prevent it from going to court.

The lake was part of the retirement community's property therefore they are responsible to keep it safe for their residents. All they had to do was put up a wire fence keeping gators out of the water, have a monitor there like a lifeguard to police the areas and watch for dangers, put up warning signs along the water, or at least monitor it for gators and this one had been there so long, it had been named by some of the people.

You could see the gator coming in; a monitor there could have spotted it and warned her. Still, just better to put up a short anti-gator fence around the water's edge.

The owners and family will probably reach an equitable out of court settlement for culpable negligence.

Poor gator sees a free meal and he ends up losing his life just trying to eat. The woman stood there and watched the gator swim towards them. If it was a middle aged person with no obvious mental problems I would not find the retirement village culpable, provided they all warned the residents in advance. Someone 85 years old will likely be considered incapable of understanding the danger, even if it is not necessarily true, and it probably isn't in this case.

After watching the video, I think they have a good case. A good lawyer can probably negotiate a 3 figure settlement to prevent it from going to court.

I agree. The Retirement Community tries to blame the woman saying as a long time resident she know of the risk of alligators, but they also should have know of the risks by not allowing pet owners to walk their dogs on the streets. I wonder if they changed that rule after the attack. Also curious if people are allowed to walk on streets. Just seems a stupid rule for a retirement community to not provide a level areas for seniors to walk.

The lake was part of the retirement community's property therefore they are responsible to keep it safe for their residents. All they had to do was put up a wire fence keeping gators out of the water, have a monitor there like a lifeguard to police the areas and watch for dangers, put up warning signs along the water, or at least monitor it for gators and this one had been there so long, it had been named by some of the people.

You could see the gator coming in; a monitor there could have spotted it and warned her. Still, just better to put up a short anti-gator fence around the water's edge.

The owners and family will probably reach an equitable out of court settlement for culpable negligence.

Gators can and do climb chain link fences. But at least it would make it more obvious if a gator was stalking you and your dog.
Also it's not like the residents are going to be swimming in the lake so they dont need direct access to the shoreline.
I can see the family winning just for the lack of effort the old folks home put out to keep the residents safe.
So a 5ft. chain link fence with the green plastic coating for aesthetics and some signs hanging on the fence as a constant reminder would be the ticket.

Gators can and do climb chain link fences.

That would surprise me but I'm sure an enterprising person could invent a barrier/fence that gators couldn't breech, and if they somehow did, it would leave a visible sign.

Maybe two small fences around the lake--- the first to keep people and pets out, the second one an electric one to stop or fry the gator.

That would surprise me but I'm sure an enterprising person could invent a barrier/fence that gators couldn't breech, and if they somehow did, it would leave a visible sign.

Maybe two small fences around the lake--- the first to keep people and pets out, the second one an electric one to stop or fry the gator.

Hell,one fence would do. They cant climb a fence fast or with ease but they can climb one.
Not sure how you'd miss a gator climbing a fence at least in daylight.
Since gators hunt at night the best bet would be to stay away from the water after dark.

The family blames her death on not being able to walk her dog on the street, I think the question of liability will be challenged that she knew of the dangers of gators and should have never gotten so close to the lake with her dog. I am guessing the family will say she was not right mentally and not able to judge if it was safe or not. I wonder if it helps, or hurts, her family's chances that it was captured on video.

1. Florida
2. Gators
3. Dog is gators' favorite non-seafood
4. walk your dog within 10 yards of any natural body of water in Florida and you're just inviting a gator to lunch.

Hell,one fence would do. They cant climb a fence fast or with ease but they can climb one.

Interesting. Still, an easy enough thing to stop. I'd build a smart image recognition program that when it sees a gator trying to climb over, it turns on about 100,000 volts.

Instant gator burgers.

Actually, an inward leaning fence that hangs over the edge of the lake might do it. Minimal obstruction to people walking pets and once in the water, the gator would have nothing to push against to climb back out, and certainly couldn't just sneak up and get you.

I should design such a thing and sell it to Floridians and make a million dollars.

Interesting. Still, an easy enough thing to stop. I'd build a smart image recognition program that when it sees a gator trying to climb over, it turns on about 100,000 volts.

Instant gator burgers.

Actually, an inward leaning fence that hangs over the edge of the lake might do it. Minimal obstruction to people walking pets and once in the water, the gator would have nothing to push against to climb back out, and certainly couldn't just sneak up and get you.

I should design such a thing and sell it to Floridians and make a million dollars.

Not sure what the legalities are when it comes shocking the shit out of gators.
But yeah an outward leaning fence might be enough to dissuade them.

Reading other articles, it seems that residents were commonly feeding the alligator, which was named "Henry", making it socialized to humans.

I think the video definitely helps the case.

Feeding the alligator? My God how stupid.

I fucking hate those things. They are here around me. You have to keep a lookout during the warm months because they can turn up just about anywhere. You would think that at this point in time in human history we would not still have to worry about being eaten by huge, man-eating lizards. 🙄

Instant gator burgers.

Until the first small child gets fried on it, and then you'd pay a lot more than that.

Forum List

Back