Doberman or Shepherd?

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
I'm getting a dog and have narrowed it down to the two.
Her function will primarily be that of a companion/family dog. However; she will be receiving professional personal protection training.
So what are your opinions on which better fits the bill?
Doberman, or Shepherd?

I like the short fur; and as such, am leaning toward the Doberman. However, I am interested in hearing other folks experiences with these breeds.

We had German Shepherds while growing up and they are wonderful dogs....loyal, fearless, intelligent and loving.

I agree with Skye. I think they are less temperamental than the dobies I have known, also.
Black labs are also wonderful family dogs and very protective as well.

I agree with Skye. I think they are less temperamental than the dobies I have known, also.
While I love a Lab as much as the next guy; I don't think it quite measures up to the task at hand.
However...Also getting a Lab... Bah! See what you did?

Her function will primarily be that of a companion/family dog. However; she will be receiving professional personal protection training.
Doberman, or Shepherd?

Whichever one you like better? Maybe you should let your kids decide! :)

Sorry! :2up:

We had 4 black labs at once, mom & dad showed up at our house one day, never found the owners, and she was pregnant. Kept mom, dad, and 2 pups. Now down to the mom and a pup, 14 & 15 years old. Very much family dogs, but when someone comes to the door, they go nuts at the window. Scares people to death. They are fine if we let people in. At the fence though, they will go nuts, even with people we know, until once again we let them in. They can't put their fingers through the fence. At their age they don't hear as well, though.
While I love a Lab as much as the next guy; I don't think it quite measures up to the task at hand.
However...Also getting a Lab... Bah! See what you did?

If you wanted a TRULY scary dog, you could go for the XXL pitbull. :ack-1: Sure to scare any intruders away with a mere snarl, I'm sure. Lol. They are enormous and muscular. They could easily bite bad guys heads off. :D

images

venusweb.jpg

Bully-XXL-PITBULL.jpg

I like the short fur; and as such, am leaning toward the Doberman. However, I am interested in hearing other folks experiences with these breeds.

Shepherd.

Dobie breeders have pretty much bred the protectivness out of the Doberman since the 70's.

The GSD is the best. They are great in Shutzhund which is protection training because the breed can do it all. The bite work, tracking and obedience.

Definetely go with the Shepherd. I have for over forty years.

Dobies are still very smart..and they can be very timid as well, which can give them the instinct they need to be good protectors. It's a different mindset than the Shepherds, but equally effective.

I love both. The hair on a dobie makes them lower maintenance. With a GSD you will go through an extended period of challenging herding/biting (heeling, specifically)/chewing behaviors when they're pups that can be spectacularly destructive and/or painful, for a bit. They are very smart, so they train out of it quickly, but it will get your blood pumping for a while. Plan on losing some furniture and some shoes, and prepare for some jumping...teach the kids how to discourage it without actually stimulating more aggressive behavior.

Doberman, or Shepherd?

Shepard. No coincidence they're what military and law enforcement use and Dobermans aren't.

Dobermans are currently banned from Army housing. The Army can be stupid just like everybody else.

You will be well served by either a Dobie or a GSD. They're both wonderful.

gsd are nervous biters....i would go with the doberman.....of course i have had dobermans for over 30 years or more.....they are protective of the family esp the wee ones....

Not true that you need some muscle breed to get protection.

Both your choices have a lot of health problems due to overbreeding. Go to the shelter and look for the dog that speaks to your heart.

If you want a purebred, be very careful. Get a vet check and guarantee. Hips, elbows, see the patents and talk to previous buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back