Doberman or Shepherd?

I recommend you have some very good liability insurance if you're going to get a guard dog.

i saw this and thought of this tread:

10262106_10205041548908920_7513897963828521692_n.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to rescue a mutt from your local shelter.

For the past 13 years I've shared my life with a shepherd mix I rescued from the shelter; she's incredibly protective by instinct alone and her bark scares off any potential intruders. She has many behavioral characteristics of a GSD, but the shorter hair and coloring of a Doberman.

(As I'm sure you already know, Dobermans and Rottweilers were bred from GSDs originally.)

She's been very healthy, nothing but regular check-ups and dental cleanings, and most people informed of her age can't believe it, as she still looks and acts like a much younger dog.

During the same period of time I've seen many friends with purebred dogs of all brands have to deal with untimely death due to cancer and other diseases, or disabilities and very expensive surgeries due to hip dysplasia. It's very sad how many 'reputable breeders' don't actually breed reputably - whether out or greed or ignorance, who knows. My sister's purebred GSD bitch died at only 7 years old from disease after they'd invested many hundreds in vet care after many hundreds to buy her in the first place.

As to the comment that you'll lose furniture, shoes, etc. with a puppy - not if you crate train, which fits excellently with a pup's den instincts and avoids all kinds of aggravations. Even an older dog can and should be crate trained.

I'm getting a dog and have narrowed it down to the two.
Her function will primarily be that of a companion/family dog. However; she will be receiving professional personal protection training.
So what are your opinions on which better fits the bill?
Doberman, or Shepherd?
A German Shepherd is the finest dog a man can own.

I would not even consider a Doberman; I'd leave a sleeping infant with even half way trained Shepherd.

If you wanted a TRULY scary dog, you could go for the XXL pitbull. :ack-1: Sure to scare any intruders away with a mere snarl, I'm sure. Lol. They are enormous and muscular. They could easily bite bad guys heads off. :D

images

venusweb.jpg

Bully-XXL-PITBULL.jpg
Scary, and unreliable and dangerous.

Too many idiots have them.

If one shows up here, I'd shoot him on sight.

I like the short fur; and as such, am leaning toward the Doberman. However, I am interested in hearing other folks experiences with these breeds.

Your climate matters.
I wouldn't want a long haired dog in the deep south or a short haired dog in the extreme north.

why you trashing the doberman...are you just an asshole who has never owned one?
I did not trash Dobermans.

I just would not have one, and have had many German shepherds.

Why are you suggesting I am an asshole, you one of those tough talking freaks that hides behind a vicious attack dog IRL?

Her function will primarily be that of a companion/family dog. However; she will be receiving professional personal protection training.
Doberman, or Shepherd?

I would not even consider a Doberman; I'd leave a sleeping infant with even half way trained Shepherd.

I wouldn't leave an infant or a small child alone with ANY dogs at all. That is just not a good idea. Even if the dog is gentle, he/she could lie on top of the child or anything kind of accident could happen. Always supervise your children around your pets. :)

If you wanted a TRULY scary dog, you could go for the XXL pitbull. :ack-1: Sure to scare any intruders away with a mere snarl, I'm sure. Lol. They are enormous and muscular. They could easily bite bad guys heads off. :D

images

venusweb.jpg

Bully-XXL-PITBULL.jpg

I am of the belief that a dog is only vicious if it's raised to be vicious. I've known some big scary-looking dogs that were really just just big babies and like their tummies scratched like any other dogs.

I've never known a dog like the above, but I imagine it's the same.

images

venusweb.jpg

Bully-XXL-PITBULL.jpg

I am of the belief that a dog is only vicious if it's raised to be vicious. I've known some big scary-looking dogs that were really just just big babies and like their tummies scratched like any other dogs.

Go to dogsbite.org and read about Dax, a little boy torn to pieces by pit bulls raised well and treated well - pulled from the arms of the dogs' owner, who was also attacked trying to save the boy's life.

Dogs are unpredictable and there are many, many cases of dogs attacking humans despite having zero history of aggression or maltreatment by humans. Pit bulls and Rottweilers cause most fatal attacks because they don't bite & retreat, they keep biting.

I love my dogs, but I would never leave them unattended with a child. Dogs - ALL DOGS - are unpredictable and capable of causing harm.

GSDs are a wonderful breed, IF well bred. The widespread breeding of them, though, has resulted in many poor examples of the breed that exhibit dog aggression and even misplaced human aggression. If you really want a good GSD, you should expect to pay @$1k for the pup and even then, you should very carefully research the breeder and talk to folks who have pups from the same bitch and sire yours would come from.

Shepherd mixes are in abundance at shelters, cost @ $100-200 to adopt, and would likely be healthier and more even tempered than all but the most expensive & reputable purebred.

There's a lot of good info on the web detailing how breeder associations (AKC, etc.) have actually facilitated poor breeding practices. It's scary stuff.

i have had dobermans for decades none violent......all protective of myself and more importantly my child....pits are not for me but i dont care for chows either.....but know a lot of dog owners who are loyal to their breeds...no not a computer bad ass just dont like anyone to trash the dobermans i love

Doberman, or Shepherd?

Roadrunner

Almost every time we hear of a child being killed by a dog, the clueless idiot owner will say some dumb thing like, "I don't know, he was always fine before".

Do not ever ever ever ever leave a baby alone with a dog, even a dog you THINK you know.

why you trashing the doberman...are you just an asshole who has never owned one?
I did not trash Dobermans.

I just would not have one, and have had many German shepherds.

Why are you suggesting I am an asshole, you one of those tough talking freaks that hides behind a vicious attack dog IRL?

You're more than an asshole. YOu're a stupid fool who has said he would shoot a dog on sight AND would leave a baby along with a "half-way trained" GSD.

You don't get dumber than that.

And, if your dog gets out of your yard, how will you feel if some jerk like you blasts the life out of him on sight?

images

venusweb.jpg

Bully-XXL-PITBULL.jpg

Go to dogsbite.org and read about Dax, a little boy torn to pieces by pit bulls raised well and treated well - pulled from the arms of the dogs' owner, who was also attacked trying to save the boy's life.

Dogs are unpredictable and there are many, many cases of dogs attacking humans despite having zero history of aggression or maltreatment by humans. Pit bulls and Rottweilers cause most fatal attacks because they don't bite & retreat, they keep biting.

I love my dogs, but I would never leave them unattended with a child. Dogs - ALL DOGS - are unpredictable and capable of causing harm.

No thank you. :) If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not read such a story.

I agree, children should never be left unattended with any dogs.

Forum List

Back