85 yr. old Woman's Family Sues Retirement Community after Fatal Gator Attack

The family blames her death on not being able to walk her dog on the street, I think the question of liability will be challenged that she knew of the dangers of gators and should have never gotten so close to the lake with her dog.

Let's face facts: For this 85 year old woman to walk right up to lake's edge with her dog with her obvious mobility issues then stand there blankly staring off into the distance absently not even looking around for any gator activity, she was not the brightest bulb on the tree. But then, this is a community MADE for such people to retire to and the ownership allowed pets yet did not allow them walked out front where they might poop and harm the beauty of their well-crafted lawns and shrubbery, so was negligent in not providing some other place for residents to walk pets other than out back near a lake known to have gators so numerous that some of them had names, much less not even put up signs and maybe fences.

Probably because they would have detracted from the beauty of the place.

How does anyone get to be that age living in Florida and walk right up to the edge of a body of water completely oblivious not even cognizant of the danger??? The woman had to be senile, so, both her AND the facility bear responsibility. They will settle out of court.

The lake was part of the retirement community's property therefore they are responsible to keep it safe for their residents. All they had to do was put up a wire fence keeping gators out of the water, have a monitor there like a lifeguard to police the areas and watch for dangers, put up warning signs along the water, or at least monitor it for gators and this one had been there so long, it had been named by some of the people.

You could see the gator coming in; a monitor there could have spotted it and warned her. Still, just better to put up a short anti-gator fence around the water's edge.

The owners and family will probably reach an equitable out of court settlement for culpable negligence.
The so called retirement community should shut down and relocate not close to gator infested waters. I'd say $20 million for management and investors negligence. Yes get deep into those deep pockets.

But getting eaten by a gator is OK to you? You're obviously not an engineer, so you don't understand that a gator fence would be /intelligently/ designed to protect people and pets too.

Yeah, I've seen enough things that the engineers insisted would work that didn't; I'd be betting on a fried kid.

The housing project was negligent by letting gators live in that retaining pond. They should have relocated them or killed them. Or maybe just let people walk their dogs outside their houses.

I hope they pay millions to this woman's family.

Yeah, I've seen enough things that the engineers insisted would work that didn't; I'd be betting on a fried kid.

The housing project was negligent by letting gators live in that retaining pond. They should have relocated them or killed them. Or maybe just let people walk their dogs outside their houses.

I hope they pay millions to this woman's family.
But shouldn't the victim bear some responsibility, too? She should have known there were gators in the pond and not walked so close to the river. She had been at the retirement home for a long time, she should know.

The so called retirement community should shut down and relocate not close to gator infested waters. I'd say $20 million for management and investors negligence. Yes get deep into those deep pockets.

Well, the courts have established that mere defamation of an unknown woman is worth 80 million, so, can a woman's life be worth less?

I'm tired of personal responsibility being removed from consideration when these lawsuits are started, I'm not in favor of corporations getting away with any responsibility either, but in cases like this, a woman holding alligator bait at the edge of a pond where one is known to reside, and then doing nothing while looking at it swimming right towards you, I hope that this is not ignored.

But shouldn't the victim bear some responsibility, too? She should have known there were gators in the pond and not walked so close to the river. She had been at the retirement home for a long time, she should know.

You forget she was 85 years old and that this was a retirement home for aging seniors. The logical expectation there is that the people are not all running on a full tank physically or mentally.

If they can put extra handles and things in a bathtub for seniors because they might slip and fall, is it unreasonable to expect them not to have a pool of death in their own backyard where residents were FORCED to go to walk their pets, without so much as even a fence, a warning sign or anything?

I mean, alligators are quick, they routinely snare agile wild animals like deer, wildebeest and other alert animals much less a doddering old senile lady with a small poodle on a leash. And where were the other residents? Not one person saw her and called out to her to get away from there.

It was an accident just waiting to happen.

Forum List

Back