Do you pay bums to go away?

Some panhandlers actually make a pretty damn good living collecting change. Some of them aren't mentally unstable, and they choose to stay living on the streets while they collect handouts and save them.

I read about a panhandler family recently that made $40,000 a year from handouts. If you can deal with living on the street, imagine how much you could save.

Fuck giving them money. If they really want something to eat, then I don't see the big deal in getting them some grub if you have some extra cash. But to just hand someone money that you don't know is naive. Most of them are probably alcoholics or drug addicts.

If you were living on the street, you'd probably want an escape from reality too.

I simply tell them to get a job.

it's impossible for them to get a job due to the IDIOTIC minimum wage law.

why would anybody hire a mentally handicapped stinky old guy for the same minimum wage that you can use to hire some hot high school girl with IQ of 130 ?

what's the shittiest job you can think of ? McDonalds. How many old, slow, mentally handicapped people do you see working there ?

they CAN NOT compete with the high school kids at the same hourly rate.

for $2 / hour maybe the guy could get a job. with minimum wage it's impossible.

But I never, ever:

- donate to anyone that calls me on the phone
- donate to any cashier that says would you like to donate a dollar for (insert cause)
- donate to people running fundraisers by accosting everyone that goes in and out of the grocery store

the people i NEVER EVER give to are these fucking kids collecting money for their fucking baseball team.

are these bastards for real ? with so many people suffering in the world you expect me to pay for your BASEBALL TEAM ?

and when i don't give them shit they give me this condescending look like i am a low life for not supporting their grand cause. because clearly life is about playing baseball.

I just had some young healthy well dressed kid ask me for change and I freaked on him...i told him he hadn't lived long enough yet to earn the right to be a bum..then pointed to a real panhandling grizzled hurtin bum a few feet a way as a example...see that guy ..look at him...for what ever reason the pain.. the shit the suffering.. he has lived through is written all over his face..he has earned the right to be broken..but your just a lazy fuck and should fuck off...then i gave the the old guy a few small bills and some change...he had a good sense of humor about it all...

But I never, ever:

- donate to any cashier that says would you like to donate a dollar for (insert cause)
- donate to people running fundraisers by accosting everyone that goes in and out of the grocery store

the people i NEVER EVER give to are these fucking kids collecting money for their fucking baseball team.

are these bastards for real ? with so many people suffering in the world you expect me to pay for your BASEBALL TEAM ?

and when i don't give them shit they give me this condescending look like i am a low life for not supporting their grand cause. because clearly life is about playing baseball.

Yeah, so shit on what is important to those kids. That's mighty big of you.

And yes, life is about playing baseball.

The truth is Luissa that there are social programs that provide more than enough for people to afford housing and food. If these people are homeless because they are mentally ill and/or disabled, they will qualify for plenty of government aid to provide a basic living for themselves. If they are homeless because they are lazy, fuck them. I don't care if they do starve on the side of the road.
yeah because most people with servere mental illness or demensia have the decsion making power to seek help.
Next excuse............

If they suffer from severe mental illness and all you do is give them a dollar, you're pretty fucked up. Call someone that can give them the help they really need. That dollar isn't going to do a fucking thing for them.

Funny, the few that are mentally unstable were put there by the governments .. mostly state ones, that decided to shut down all the institutes which use to house and take care of them ... now the ones stable enough to understand they need food are spanging ... yet people find the idiocy to complain about those ones.

But I never, ever:

Yeah ... it is.

And when you get older or don't make due to lack of talent it's about slow pitch softball.

why would anybody hire a mentally handicapped stinky old guy for the same minimum wage that you can use to hire some hot high school girl with IQ of 130 ?

what's the shittiest job you can think of ? McDonalds. How many old, slow, mentally handicapped people do you see working there ?

Don't be ignorant. Not every single homeless person is a "stinky old handicapped man with a beard. Some of these homeless are there BY CHOICE. They have homes and family they could go back to but prefer to stand on the street corner and beg for money. So your blanket statement is pure horse manure.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.

But I never, ever:

And I hope that you politely say "No thank you" or "I'm not interested", rather than going on a rant about how you think that what they are doing is wrong.

Don't be ignorant. Not every single homeless person is a "stinky old handicapped man with a beard.

Some of them don't have beards.

I simply tell them to get a job. They must hear that quite often because after they hear that they ignore me. That was in the big city. Here we don't have that problem. If someone was standing on a street corner here in this little burg, I imagine it wouldn't take long for johnny law to show up and tell them to either move on or arrest them.
what if that person was a veteran and had something like PTSD or demensia, would you still tell them to get a job?
I have had to help an 80 year old homeless man who had fallen out of his wheel chair and shit himself, should I have told him to get a job when he then aske me for some change.
Work in a city park and get to know most of the homeless people, maybe you will realize what the hell is really going on. I had ones I saw every day for three years, you know what they are people to. Some people just treat them like garbage and say they need to get a job and look down at them but you have no idea what happened in their life that caused them to be homeless.
I saw this guy every day and who knows if he was alcoholic or had a mental illness it wasn't my business to ask, two years ago two kids lit him on fire. Their parents probably taught them homeless people were wrong and didn't deserve the same treatment as other people.

If someone is in my face asking, or in most cases, demanding money, I don't bother to interrogate them as to their past and present life and career. All I see is someone putting forth an effort to beg for money when they could have put forth that same amount of effort towards cleaning up and finding a job. There's plenty of places and agencies that do help the homeless. Problem is, and Reno/Sparks had it's share of homeless because the train that runs over to Sac and San Fran runs straight through down town, a very large portion of homeless don't WANT a job. They'd rather sleep in a cardboard box and beg for money than work. Well sorry, but that just doesn't go over with me. I "WORKED" for my money. Why should I willfully just dish it out to someone that DOESN'T want to work? Nope. The only way I get stiffed into that is by the government TAKING it from me and I don't have a choice, because the homeless and bums do get it then.

But if I knew someone that had fallen on hard times and was homeless for no fault of their own, like their home burnt down, or a natural disaster, or they lost their job because of the present economy, and they needed help, they wouldn't even have to ask. I'm MORE than happy to help them. I play the raffles intended for those things and give to charities in my area, because I know most of the people around these little towns are decent, hard working folks.

So don't be too all high and mighty there with your self righteousness. You assumptions about people can be very wrong.

"The Lord helps them who help themselves."

And yet you cry like a fucking baby over a dead pet?

But I never, ever:

And I hope that you politely say "No thank you" or "I'm not interested", rather than going on a rant about how you think that what they are doing is wrong.

Of course I'm polite about it. Like I said, I'm just doing my part to discourage behavior I don't agree with. But there's no reason to be rude about it. But like neuro said, sometimes they do their damnedest to make you fell guilty about not donating. Fortunately for me, I don't give a shit about what they think.

I feel guilty when I say no to the girls selling Girl Scout Cookies.

I don't, because I always buy a couple boxes from the neighbor girl. Those things are damn tasty! But again, I never buy from the one's that set up outside the grocery store.

The truth is Luissa that there are social programs that provide more than enough for people to afford housing and food. If these people are homeless because they are mentally ill and/or disabled, they will qualify for plenty of government aid to provide a basic living for themselves. If they are homeless because they are lazy, fuck them. I don't care if they do starve on the side of the road.
yeah because most people with servere mental illness or demensia have the decsion making power to seek help.
Next excuse............

If they suffer from severe mental illness and all you do is give them a dollar, you're pretty fucked up. Call someone that can give them the help they really need. That dollar isn't going to do a fucking thing for them.
and what do the people do who you call. Hold them for 72 hours and then put them right back out on the street and if you don't believe me google it. When I worked at the city park we called on many people and they were back in about three days to a week usually.
My mom had to call 911 on a guy who fell into the river because he was so messed up, he was wearing a hospital bracelet.

I wonder if Amanda would give money to these bums?

butts.jpg

Forum List

Back