Do you pay bums to go away?

But I never, ever:

- donate to anyone that calls me on the phone
- donate to any cashier that says would you like to donate a dollar for (insert cause)
- donate to people running fundraisers by accosting everyone that goes in and out of the grocery store

the people i NEVER EVER give to are these fucking kids collecting money for their fucking baseball team.

are these bastards for real ? with so many people suffering in the world you expect me to pay for your BASEBALL TEAM ?

and when i don't give them shit they give me this condescending look like i am a low life for not supporting their grand cause. because clearly life is about playing baseball.

Yeah ... it is.

And when you get older or don't make due to lack of talent it's about slow pitch softball.
tell me about it, this fall was probably my sixth year of playing slow pitch with one year on a modified team. The best year was when I worked for the city and played city employee softball league which is the only league you are allowed to drink while you play. Just say the garbage men drink the most.

I wonder if Amanda would give money to these bums?

butts.jpg
I would give them my last dime!:eusa_drool:

what if that person was a veteran and had something like PTSD or demensia, would you still tell them to get a job?
I have had to help an 80 year old homeless man who had fallen out of his wheel chair and shit himself, should I have told him to get a job when he then aske me for some change.
Work in a city park and get to know most of the homeless people, maybe you will realize what the hell is really going on. I had ones I saw every day for three years, you know what they are people to. Some people just treat them like garbage and say they need to get a job and look down at them but you have no idea what happened in their life that caused them to be homeless.
I saw this guy every day and who knows if he was alcoholic or had a mental illness it wasn't my business to ask, two years ago two kids lit him on fire. Their parents probably taught them homeless people were wrong and didn't deserve the same treatment as other people.

If someone is in my face asking, or in most cases, demanding money, I don't bother to interrogate them as to their past and present life and career. All I see is someone putting forth an effort to beg for money when they could have put forth that same amount of effort towards cleaning up and finding a job. There's plenty of places and agencies that do help the homeless. Problem is, and Reno/Sparks had it's share of homeless because the train that runs over to Sac and San Fran runs straight through down town, a very large portion of homeless don't WANT a job. They'd rather sleep in a cardboard box and beg for money than work. Well sorry, but that just doesn't go over with me. I "WORKED" for my money. Why should I willfully just dish it out to someone that DOESN'T want to work? Nope. The only way I get stiffed into that is by the government TAKING it from me and I don't have a choice, because the homeless and bums do get it then.

But if I knew someone that had fallen on hard times and was homeless for no fault of their own, like their home burnt down, or a natural disaster, or they lost their job because of the present economy, and they needed help, they wouldn't even have to ask. I'm MORE than happy to help them. I play the raffles intended for those things and give to charities in my area, because I know most of the people around these little towns are decent, hard working folks.

So don't be too all high and mighty there with your self righteousness. You assumptions about people can be very wrong.

"The Lord helps them who help themselves."

And yet you cry like a fucking baby over a dead pet?

Not only are you way off topic, but what the fuck are you talking about? My pet isn't dead. You must be sucking down a few cold ones early aye roomy? Try and insult someone else. I didn't ask for any of your shit ya pathetic drunken moron.

Last edited:
If someone is in my face asking, or in most cases, demanding money, I don't bother to interrogate them as to their past and present life and career. All I see is someone putting forth an effort to beg for money when they could have put forth that same amount of effort towards cleaning up and finding a job. There's plenty of places and agencies that do help the homeless. Problem is, and Reno/Sparks had it's share of homeless because the train that runs over to Sac and San Fran runs straight through down town, a very large portion of homeless don't WANT a job. They'd rather sleep in a cardboard box and beg for money than work. Well sorry, but that just doesn't go over with me. I "WORKED" for my money. Why should I willfully just dish it out to someone that DOESN'T want to work? Nope. The only way I get stiffed into that is by the government TAKING it from me and I don't have a choice, because the homeless and bums do get it then.

But if I knew someone that had fallen on hard times and was homeless for no fault of their own, like their home burnt down, or a natural disaster, or they lost their job because of the present economy, and they needed help, they wouldn't even have to ask. I'm MORE than happy to help them. I play the raffles intended for those things and give to charities in my area, because I know most of the people around these little towns are decent, hard working folks.

So don't be too all high and mighty there with your self righteousness. You assumptions about people can be very wrong.

"The Lord helps them who help themselves."

And yet you cry like a fucking baby over a dead pet?

Not only are you way off topic, but what the fuck are you talking about? My pet isn't dead. You must be sucking down a few cold ones early aye roomy? Try and insult someone else. I didn't ask for any of your shit ya pathetic drunken moron.

:lol::lol::lol:

I had forgot about this one:lol::lol::lol:

I feel guilty when I say no to the girls selling Girl Scout Cookies.

I don't, because I always buy a couple boxes from the neighbor girl. Those things are damn tasty!

I'll kill a whole box of the PB ones coated in chocolate with a glass of milk. They may be the best cookies I've ever eaten.
Didn't your mom ever bake? The best cookies I ever ate in my life were ma's made from scratch chocolate chip... warm... right out of the oven... maaaaaan they were good... :eusa_drool:

I don't, because I always buy a couple boxes from the neighbor girl. Those things are damn tasty!

I'll kill a whole box of the PB ones coated in chocolate with a glass of milk. They may be the best cookies I've ever eaten.
Didn't your mom ever bake? The best cookies I ever ate in my life were ma's made from scratch chocolate chip... warm... right out of the oven... maaaaaan they were good... :eusa_drool:

I guess I should have clarified that to say best non-homemade. My mom made some good cookies but she's better known for her Thanksgiving pies and a good birthday cake.

My favorite cookies ever are pepperidge farm soft baked trail mix cookies, or the soft baked plain oatmeal cookies. I killed a full bag of both the other night, I felt about as fat ass as I ever have, but I loved every second of it.

it's impossible for them to get a job due to the IDIOTIC minimum wage law.

why would anybody hire a mentally handicapped stinky old guy for the same minimum wage that you can use to hire some hot high school girl with IQ of 130 ?

what's the shittiest job you can think of ? McDonalds. How many old, slow, mentally handicapped people do you see working there ?

they CAN NOT compete with the high school kids at the same hourly rate.

for $2 / hour maybe the guy could get a job. with minimum wage it's impossible.

Don't be ignorant. Not every single homeless person is a "stinky old handicapped man with a beard.

Some of them don't have beards.

In Seattle you can't tell the difference between the homeless and the business folk most times ...

Some of them don't have beards.

In Seattle you can't tell the difference between the homeless and the business folk most times ...

Can you at least smell the difference?

Nope ... most of the bums spanging on the street here are not even homeless ...

As for the homeless, there are almost 100 free hygiene centers, all privately funded, about 50/50 men and women (a few are co-ed). Free clothing, and even free meals. The homeless know where they are and they find them. The smelly bums you see here are scam artists or junkies, with a few who are just too mentally unstable to get into the shelters.

On the flip side, the homeless look is in fashion, many of the tweenies were buying clothing that looked like a homeless persons outfit (based on stereotypes).

Didn't know where else to put this... mods please move it could have a better home.

Ok, when you're approached by someone "homeless" do you give them money? I don't. I choose where to donate my time or money based on what I see as real need, not who has their hand in my face.

When I was growing up my grandfather had a small repair business and would get the occasional bum that would come in looking for a hand out. He would tell them he'd give them some money if they would sweep up the place or do some other kind of work. Often he didn't even need the work done, but as he told me, there is a greater principle involved. If they would refuse to work he'd throw them out. A few he taught a trade. I get my ethic about these things from his example.

So, what do you do when you're confronted with someone with their hand out? Do you pay up? Please explain your reason too, I'm really interested to hear your stories.
now think about if that homeless person was your grandfather!
Like Xotoxi said most homeless people suffer from a mental illness. And like this lady told me the other day, she gives people on the side of the road money and keeps money in her car to do and she says she doesn't care what they do with it, it is their choice.

Who do you know that would let their grandfather live on the street? Poor comparison. Try harder.

Do YOU give out handfuls of cash every time someone asks you for some? If so, I want your job. I make damned good money, and I sure as hell can't afford to do that.

Who do you know that would let their grandfather live on the street?

What if you were dead? And the only one left was your grandfather?

There wouldn't be much you could do to help him, being dead and all.

Didn't know where else to put this... mods please move it could have a better home.

Ok, when you're approached by someone "homeless" do you give them money? I don't. I choose where to donate my time or money based on what I see as real need, not who has their hand in my face.

When I was growing up my grandfather had a small repair business and would get the occasional bum that would come in looking for a hand out. He would tell them he'd give them some money if they would sweep up the place or do some other kind of work. Often he didn't even need the work done, but as he told me, there is a greater principle involved. If they would refuse to work he'd throw them out. A few he taught a trade. I get my ethic about these things from his example.

So, what do you do when you're confronted with someone with their hand out? Do you pay up? Please explain your reason too, I'm really interested to hear your stories.
Like Xotoxi said most homeless people suffer from a mental illness. And like this lady told me the other day, she gives people on the side of the road money and keeps money in her car to do and she says she doesn't care what they do with it, it is their choice.

Who do you know that would let their grandfather live on the street? Poor comparison. Try harder.

Do YOU give out handfuls of cash every time someone asks you for some? If so, I want your job. I make damned good money, and I sure as hell can't afford to do that.

some of those men are someones grandfather! I have an uncle that will not accept help for anyone even though my family has tried many times, he is a drug addict mostly due to the fact he is self medicating because of mental illness. Sometimes people do not have a choice if their relative lives on the street, do you really think that every homeless person has no family.
And who said anything about handing out handfuls of cash, what is even the point of that comment?

some of those men are someones grandfather! I have an uncle that will not accept help for anyone even though my family has tried many times, he is a drug addict mostly due to the fact he is self medicating because of mental illness. Sometimes people do not have a choice if their relative lives on the street, do you really think that every homeless person has no family.
And who said anything about handing out handfuls of cash, what is even the point of that comment?

Uh, YOU did, Tinkerbell. "And, this lady..."

So, your uncle is homeless, and you're not doing anything about it? Or... your uncle has a place to live, and manages to get his drugs for "self medication", and just doesn't want your intervention with that? Because I can't think of a single homeless person that would refuse a place to sleep that's not under a bush, and a meal.

Forum List

Back