Do you pay bums to go away?

Amanda

Calm as a Hindu cow
Nov 28, 2008
Didn't know where else to put this... mods please move it could have a better home.

Ok, when you're approached by someone "homeless" do you give them money? I don't. I choose where to donate my time or money based on what I see as real need, not who has their hand in my face.

When I was growing up my grandfather had a small repair business and would get the occasional bum that would come in looking for a hand out. He would tell them he'd give them some money if they would sweep up the place or do some other kind of work. Often he didn't even need the work done, but as he told me, there is a greater principle involved. If they would refuse to work he'd throw them out. A few he taught a trade. I get my ethic about these things from his example.

So, what do you do when you're confronted with someone with their hand out? Do you pay up? Please explain your reason too, I'm really interested to hear your stories.

Didn't know where else to put this... mods please move it could have a better home.

Ok, when you're approached by someone "homeless" do you give them money? I don't. I choose where to donate my time or money based on what I see as real need, not who has their hand in my face.

When I was growing up my grandfather had a small repair business and would get the occasional bum that would come in looking for a hand out. He would tell them he'd give them some money if they would sweep up the place or do some other kind of work. Often he didn't even need the work done, but as he told me, there is a greater principle involved. If they would refuse to work he'd throw them out. A few he taught a trade. I get my ethic about these things from his example.

So, what do you do when you're confronted with someone with their hand out? Do you pay up? Please explain your reason too, I'm really interested to hear your stories.

I just avoid them altogether...it makes me feel uncomfortable as I'm a non-confrontational person.

I ask them for money before they ask me.

Your grandfather had it right. No handouts. Work for your money.

That is why it's called "earn a living."

I just avoid them altogether...it makes me feel uncomfortable as I'm a non-confrontational person.

Bang your cowbell loud enough, you wouldn't hear them beg.

I ask em how much they made today and wish em better luck tomorrow. I could tell em where to get work but I'm afraid it would piss them off.

For what it is worth, you must realize that some of the "homeless bums" that are on a city street, have severe mental and psychiatric disorders and are not mentally well enough to hold a job or make any money.

As I said...for what it's worth...

For what it is worth, you must realize that some of the "homeless bums" that are on a city street, have severe mental and psychiatric disorders and are not mentally well enough to hold a job or make any money.

yes--"some" of them are.

yes--"some" of them are.

So...what is your opinion of those "some"?

What should be done about them or for them?

yes--"some" of them are.

Where I'm at, and I suspect every other major city there are soup kitchens and shelters and churches. No one needs to freeze or starve. So if you're mentally sound enough to beg I think you can find those services as well.

yes--"some" of them are.

People who care enough about them will help them.

yes--"some" of them are.

Good point.

But I think it is important that all of us at least try to understand why they are in that situation.

I think the word "lazy" gets thrown around a lot.

Not everyone that is in that situation is "lazy".

Good point.

But I think it is important that all of us at least try to understand why they are in that situation.

I think the word "lazy" gets thrown around a lot.

Not everyone that is in that situation is "lazy".

nope---they're not. You have to actually spend sometime with them to determine that .

i had a post made on almost the same subject. here it is:

DIY-AV • View topic - giving money to Charity

Last edited:

Working nights in Boston I encounter the homeless every night. xotoxi is correct, the majority of them have severe mental issues. I don't give them any money because I see the same folks every night ... they are kind of territorial and if you give them money once then they'll start to target you for more. Personally, I just don't acknowledge their presence. I walk by them as if they don't exist. If the want a place to sleep or a meal The Pine Street Inn isn't too far up the street and the folks that run it even drive a van around picking the homeless up on the colder nights in the winter.

I say don't give hand outs. I am usually agaist helping them. One time I felt generous and bought him some bannanas because he said he was hungery as I walked into a grocery store. That was a big mistake. He wasn't greatful and then demanded my jacket. lol I couldn't believe it. Then he said that god told him that I was going to give it to him. I left quickly. Later I saw him and he was instantly outraged because he remembered I didn't give him my jacket. He spit at me but was far enough away that it didn't get me. I think their are many that are crazy. We need more institutions or something for them.

There are so many charitable organizations to help people in need, there is no need for anyone to beg for money. I just tell them I don't have any money (which is always true since I never carry cash with me). If they are outside a store, I tell them the manager can probably help them and I bring them inside and find the manager. I did this just recently at a Walgreens store.

Our church recently had a food drive for people in need. It's not a rich church, but it was incredible how much food and money was donated. There was enough to help hundreds of families for a month.

now think about if that homeless person was your grandfather!
Like Xotoxi said most homeless people suffer from a mental illness. And like this lady told me the other day, she gives people on the side of the road money and keeps money in her car to do and she says she doesn't care what they do with it, it is their choice.

I will buy them a sandwhich or a coffee and a muffin but I won't give money. If you want to help someone you give them a change of clothes and hand them the want adds or take them to the local shelter so they can get a leg up. The last thing I want is to accidently fund someone's drinking or drug problems..

I simply tell them to get a job. They must hear that quite often because after they hear that they ignore me. That was in the big city. Here we don't have that problem. If someone was standing on a street corner here in this little burg, I imagine it wouldn't take long for johnny law to show up and tell them to either move on or arrest them.

I simply tell them to get a job. They must hear that quite often because after they hear that they ignore me. That was in the big city. Here we don't have that problem. If someone was standing on a street corner here in this little burg, I imagine it wouldn't take long for johnny law to show up and tell them to either move on or arrest them.
what if that person was a veteran and had something like PTSD or demensia, would you still tell them to get a job?
I have had to help an 80 year old homeless man who had fallen out of his wheel chair and shit himself, should I have told him to get a job when he then aske me for some change.
Work in a city park and get to know most of the homeless people, maybe you will realize what the hell is really going on. I had ones I saw every day for three years, you know what they are people to. Some people just treat them like garbage and say they need to get a job and look down at them but you have no idea what happened in their life that caused them to be homeless.
I saw this guy every day and who knows if he was alcoholic or had a mental illness it wasn't my business to ask, two years ago two kids lit him on fire. Their parents probably taught them homeless people were wrong and didn't deserve the same treatment as other people.

Forum List

Back