Do you pay bums to go away?

The truth is Luissa that there are social programs that provide more than enough for people to afford housing and food. If these people are homeless because they are mentally ill and/or disabled, they will qualify for plenty of government aid to provide a basic living for themselves. If they are homeless because they are lazy, fuck them. I don't care if they do starve on the side of the road.

The truth is Luissa that there are social programs that provide more than enough for people to afford housing and food. If these people are homeless because they are mentally ill and/or disabled, they will qualify for plenty of government aid to provide a basic living for themselves. If they are homeless because they are lazy, fuck them. I don't care if they do starve on the side of the road.
yeah because most people with servere mental illness or demensia have the decsion making power to seek help.
Next excuse............

Didn't know where else to put this... mods please move it could have a better home.

Ok, when you're approached by someone "homeless" do you give them money? I don't. I choose where to donate my time or money based on what I see as real need, not who has their hand in my face.

When I was growing up my grandfather had a small repair business and would get the occasional bum that would come in looking for a hand out. He would tell them he'd give them some money if they would sweep up the place or do some other kind of work. Often he didn't even need the work done, but as he told me, there is a greater principle involved. If they would refuse to work he'd throw them out. A few he taught a trade. I get my ethic about these things from his example.

So, what do you do when you're confronted with someone with their hand out? Do you pay up? Please explain your reason too, I'm really interested to hear your stories.

I just avoid them altogether...it makes me feel uncomfortable as I'm a non-confrontational person.

Bang your cowbell loud enough, you wouldn't hear them beg.

And if bang them WITH the cowbell, they'll stop begging, too.

As to giving handouts?

Depends on my mood, their approach, and how much money I have at the time.

Didn't know where else to put this... mods please move it could have a better home.

Ok, when you're approached by someone "homeless" do you give them money? I don't. I choose where to donate my time or money based on what I see as real need, not who has their hand in my face.

When I was growing up my grandfather had a small repair business and would get the occasional bum that would come in looking for a hand out. He would tell them he'd give them some money if they would sweep up the place or do some other kind of work. Often he didn't even need the work done, but as he told me, there is a greater principle involved. If they would refuse to work he'd throw them out. A few he taught a trade. I get my ethic about these things from his example.

So, what do you do when you're confronted with someone with their hand out? Do you pay up? Please explain your reason too, I'm really interested to hear your stories.

There are so many charitable organizations to help people in need, there is no need for anyone to beg for money. I just tell them I don't have any money (which is always true since I never carry cash with me). If they are outside a store, I tell them the manager can probably help them and I bring them inside and find the manager. I did this just recently at a Walgreens store.

Our church recently had a food drive for people in need. It's not a rich church, but it was incredible how much food and money was donated. There was enough to help hundreds of families for a month.

My church is almost constantly running one kind of drive or another to fill our food bank or gather clothes or toys around Christmas. I feel like I do donate generously and I can see that we're not just enabling. I think real charity is what God expects from us, not enabling someone to stay drunk.

now think about if that homeless person was your grandfather!
Like Xotoxi said most homeless people suffer from a mental illness. And like this lady told me the other day, she gives people on the side of the road money and keeps money in her car to do and she says she doesn't care what they do with it, it is their choice.

First, my grandfather would never beg - ever.

Second, I address the mental illness angle on the first page, 9th post.

I simply tell them to get a job. They must hear that quite often because after they hear that they ignore me. That was in the big city. Here we don't have that problem. If someone was standing on a street corner here in this little burg, I imagine it wouldn't take long for johnny law to show up and tell them to either move on or arrest them.
what if that person was a veteran and had something like PTSD or demensia, would you still tell them to get a job?
I have had to help an 80 year old homeless man who had fallen out of his wheel chair and shit himself, should I have told him to get a job when he then aske me for some change.
Work in a city park and get to know most of the homeless people, maybe you will realize what the hell is really going on. I had ones I saw every day for three years, you know what they are people to. Some people just treat them like garbage and say they need to get a job and look down at them but you have no idea what happened in their life that caused them to be homeless.
I saw this guy every day and who knows if he was alcoholic or had a mental illness it wasn't my business to ask, two years ago two kids lit him on fire. Their parents probably taught them homeless people were wrong and didn't deserve the same treatment as other people.

Helping someone that fell out of their wheelchair isn't the same as giving them money. I would help someone with an obvious need like that. I do sort of know some of the homeless around here... what I've seen is that once you show you aren't a sucker they show their true faces. Sad but true. Some people are just leeches and I don't think we do them any real favors by letting them continue to be leeches.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
As a few folks mentioned, they need mental help, giving them money isn't helping them.

The only people on the street I ever give money to is salvation army folks, they always put the cash to good use.

sometimes I give them money, if I have it. Especially if its a woman, or if they have a dog.

I know some of them will buy cigarettes or beer. I figure at least some of them will buy something they really need, like food or something for their dog. I don't feel like punishing the the one who might buy something useful, by obsessing about the ones who might use my money to buy cigarettes.

sometimes I give them money, if I have it. Especially if its a woman, or if they have a dog.

I know some of them will buy cigarettes or beer. I figure at least some of them will buy something they really need, like food or something for their dog. I don't feel like punishing the the one who might buy something useful, by obsessing about the ones who might use my money to buy cigarettes.

Hey--at least it keeps em alive to beg another day. Dead people on our streets is really an unacceptable eyesore and will make us feel bad.

Hey--at least it keeps em alive to beg another day. Dead people on our streets is really an unacceptable eyesore and will make us feel bad.

is this your ode to "compassionate conservatism"?

I don't like calling them bums, and I don't wish them dead. Most of them have mental disorders and/or drug problems. And a lot of them are military veterans with PTS disorders and other mental and emotional issues.

I simply tell them to get a job. They must hear that quite often because after they hear that they ignore me. That was in the big city. Here we don't have that problem. If someone was standing on a street corner here in this little burg, I imagine it wouldn't take long for johnny law to show up and tell them to either move on or arrest them.
what if that person was a veteran and had something like PTSD or demensia, would you still tell them to get a job?
I have had to help an 80 year old homeless man who had fallen out of his wheel chair and shit himself, should I have told him to get a job when he then aske me for some change.
Work in a city park and get to know most of the homeless people, maybe you will realize what the hell is really going on. I had ones I saw every day for three years, you know what they are people to. Some people just treat them like garbage and say they need to get a job and look down at them but you have no idea what happened in their life that caused them to be homeless.
I saw this guy every day and who knows if he was alcoholic or had a mental illness it wasn't my business to ask, two years ago two kids lit him on fire. Their parents probably taught them homeless people were wrong and didn't deserve the same treatment as other people.

If someone is in my face asking, or in most cases, demanding money, I don't bother to interrogate them as to their past and present life and career. All I see is someone putting forth an effort to beg for money when they could have put forth that same amount of effort towards cleaning up and finding a job. There's plenty of places and agencies that do help the homeless. Problem is, and Reno/Sparks had it's share of homeless because the train that runs over to Sac and San Fran runs straight through down town, a very large portion of homeless don't WANT a job. They'd rather sleep in a cardboard box and beg for money than work. Well sorry, but that just doesn't go over with me. I "WORKED" for my money. Why should I willfully just dish it out to someone that DOESN'T want to work? Nope. The only way I get stiffed into that is by the government TAKING it from me and I don't have a choice, because the homeless and bums do get it then.

But if I knew someone that had fallen on hard times and was homeless for no fault of their own, like their home burnt down, or a natural disaster, or they lost their job because of the present economy, and they needed help, they wouldn't even have to ask. I'm MORE than happy to help them. I play the raffles intended for those things and give to charities in my area, because I know most of the people around these little towns are decent, hard working folks.

So don't be too all high and mighty there with your self righteousness. You assumptions about people can be very wrong.

"The Lord helps them who help themselves."

Last edited:
When I encounter urban survivalists asking for money, sometimes I politely say "no thank you" and move along, sometimes I give em something. It largely depends on my mood.

But I never, ever:

- donate to anyone that calls me on the phone
- donate to any cashier that says would you like to donate a dollar for (insert cause)
- donate to people running fundraisers by accosting everyone that goes in and out of the grocery store

Bottom line, I don't approve of this behavior so I don't want to reinforce it by giving them money.

i see nothing wrong with giving thru an organization like a church etc...as long as the money is being used for the purpose donated...be careful with your donations..as funds are so limited now..make sure its being used well...i also try to keep my donations local..local food banks...local humanes...local kids stuff...

When I encounter urban survivalists asking for money, sometimes I politely say "no thank you" and move along, sometimes I give em something. It largely depends on my mood.

But I never, ever:

- donate to anyone that calls me on the phone
- donate to any cashier that says would you like to donate a dollar for (insert cause)
- donate to people running fundraisers by accosting everyone that goes in and out of the grocery store...............

so you are one of them assholes that gets out of their suv's then walks past disabled vets selling raffle tickets?

Bottom line, I don't approve of this behavior so I don't want to reinforce it by giving them money.

are you?

o shit you cant see what i ask inside the quote...are you one of them assholes who walks past the disabled vets when they are set up outside the grogercy...

Forum List

Back