Do you guys have to pay a nickel for plastic bags at the grocery store?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
We do, almost everywhere but Walmart. It's our effort to save the landfills and oceans. Frankly I get it, but it does create inconveniences and it's just become another source of revenue for retailers.

The 5c per bag is a deterrent as Canadians are some of the cheapest sob's you'll meet (except for the government patsies who are well paid) so we have people bringing their own reusable bags everywhere. Once in awhile, we get a clown like I had the pleasure of being behind in the line at the dollar store.

This guy who looks to be in his 30's, pays for a chocolate bar and a bag of chips, he has a backpack on, and of course refuses the 5c bag purchase as it could put a dent in his savings. Instead, while at the cashier after paying for these two small items and after receiving his change, with a line a mile long behind him (as Canadian employers are too cheap to have more than one cashier on at a time), he takes off his backpack at the counter, opens it up and pulls out another reusable bag that he had in his backpack, in which to place these two items. The oblivious Prince doesn't do this at another counter, but holds his place in line at the counter while he fumbles with his zipper and the rest of us are forced to Daydream.

You could just see the cashier was thinking "look at this unprepared soyboy and his junk food slowing down my work".

Anyways, that's one of the irritants we deal with in a day to day basis. I'm still cool though. if you guys have to pay for bags, I assume you would in California or New York; well, I know what it's like. It really is just a nuisance, especially the constant "do you want a bag?" question at every store.

Again, just one of those nuisances. When you deal with them 3-4 times a day when on a shopping trip, especially when people are supposed to be prepared in their efforts to save a nickel and just slow the assembly line down, well...meh

Last edited:
Last edited:
10 cents in Cali
10 cents per plastic bag? Wow. Where does that money go?
I forgot to be honest. I think the stores or some do good cause I had no issue with.

It's been a year since California banned single-use plastic bags. The world didn't end - Los Angeles Times

The way around that is to simply reuse the new thicker bags. I have the same 5 bags I had since the beginning.

Do you clean your bags after each use?

10 cents in Cali
I forgot to be honest. I think the stores or some do good cause I had no issue with.

It's been a year since California banned single-use plastic bags. The world didn't end - Los Angeles Times

The way around that is to simply reuse the new thicker bags. I have the same 5 bags I had since the beginning.

Wow, I use reusable bags and I still have probably 200 plastic bags stored in my cupboard. I basically use them for my dog and small garbage cans.

Last edited:
10 cents in Cali

Wow, I use reusable bags and I still have probably 200 in my cupboards. I basically use them for my dog and small garbage cans.

We don't pay here, and use the plastic grocery bags for cleaning the cat litter and to put in the small bathroom garbage cans. Sometimes we end up with a crapton of bags under the sink. :p

No, and I burn Mine when I'm not using them to toss dog crap into the garbage can on its way to the landfill.

10 cents in Cali

Wow, I use reusable bags and I still have probably 200 plastic bags stored in my cupboard. I basically use them for my dog and small garbage cans.
Thats $20 worth of bags. Good thing to me is I rarely see bags floating around on the freeways and streets now.

10 cents in Cali

Thats $20 worth of bags.

In California, just $10 in Canada, and that's Canadian currency? You want a deal on some plastic bags? $15 U.S?! :)

We do, almost everywhere but Walmart. It's our effort to save the landfills and oceans. Frankly I get it, but it does create inconveniences and it's just become another source of revenue for retailers.

The 5c per bag is a deterrent as Canadians are some of the cheapest sob's you'll meet (except for the government patsies who are well paid) so we have people bringing their own reusable bags everywhere. Once in awhile, we get a clown like I had the pleasure of being behind in the line at the dollar store.

This guy who looks to be in his 30's, pays for a chocolate bar and a bag of chips, he has a backpack on, and of course refuses the 5c bag purchase as it could put a dent in his savings. Instead, while at the cashier after paying for these two small items and after receiving his change, with a line a mile long behind him (as Canadian employers are too cheap to have more than one cashier on at a time), he takes off his backpack at the counter, opens it up and pulls out a another reusable bag that he has in his backpack, in which to place these two items. The oblivious Prince doesn't do this at another counter, but holds his place in line at the counter while he fumbles with his zipper and the rest of us are forced to Daydream.

You could just see the cashier was thinking "look at this unprepared soyboy and his junk food slowing down my work".

Anyways, that's one of the irritants we deal with in a day to day basis. I'm still cool though. if you guys have to pay for bags, I assume you would in California or New York; well, I know what it's like. It really is just a nuisance, especially the constant "do you want a bag?" question at every store.

Again, just one of those nuisances. When you deal with them 3-4 times a day when on a shopping trip, especially when people are supposed to be prepared in their efforts to save a nickel and just slow the assembly line down, well...meh

Just the opposite here --- stores seem to universally make it their mission to load me up with as many plastic bags as they can --- you have seven items? That's four bags. I'm constantly repacking that shit into fewer bags so they don't build up as much because eventually those bags are coming right back to the store to recycle and I'd rather have to do that less often.

Except for one fine chain here called Aldi's. That store is a model of efficiency which keeps their prices rock-bottom and part of what they do is they don't even HAVE bags. Once you're checked out, you're on your own and get out of the way. So I automatically carry my reusable cloth bag in there to load up, and it's just a matter of habit. I do the same thing at Trader Joe's, not because they don't have bags --- they do, but they're absolute crap and fall apart before you get to the car.

Simple enough to get into that habit. Just get yourself a permanent bag and STFU already.

Last edited:

This guy who looks to be in his 30's, pays for a chocolate bar and a bag of chips, he has a backpack on, and of course refuses the 5c bag purchase as it could put a dent in his savings. Instead, while at the cashier after paying for these two small items and after receiving his change, with a line a mile long behind him (as Canadian employers are too cheap to have more than one cashier on at a time), he takes off his backpack at the counter, opens it up and pulls out another reusable bag that he had in his backpack, in which to place these two items. The oblivious Prince doesn't do this at another counter, but holds his place in line at the counter while he fumbles with his zipper and the rest of us are forced to Daydream.

He is a member of the "I am here" group who are the pains in the butt. They will hire out for a price for Protest.

Forum List

Back