Do you guys have to pay a nickel for plastic bags at the grocery store?

10 cents in Cali
10 cents per plastic bag? Wow. Where does that money go?
I forgot to be honest. I think the stores or some do good cause I had no issue with.

It's been a year since California banned single-use plastic bags. The world didn't end - Los Angeles Times

The way around that is to simply reuse the new thicker bags. I have the same 5 bags I had since the beginning.

Do you clean your bags after each use?
Do you crap in yours?

10 cents in Cali
The California I live in does not have plastic bags at the grocery store. They have canvas reusable bags. Many companies have given out reusable shopping bags for advertisement even Kaiser has given out shopping bags. The new yorker magazine gives them out too! Now as for the cali? you live in who knows.
Sounds like you live in S. Cali.

The Walmart near me has a bin to return discarded used plastic bags and it's usually chock full. People pay attention even when you don't tax them to death

We pay 10 cents in California. So I always bring my Trader Joe's shopping bag because they're indestructible. Much better than regular plastic or paper grocery store bags. With those Trader Joe bags, you could carry around a nuclear warhead and the bag won't rip. In my wilder moments, I picture these bags holding the entire mass of the solar system and still not breaking.

We are not charged anywhere in my area that I am aware of, but there is a place here where you have to bring your own bags for whatever it is that you buy because the place does not provide you with any. ALDI is the name of the place.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

We are not charged anywhere in my area that I am aware of, but there is a place here where you have to bring your own bags for whatever it is that you buy because the place does not provide you with any. ALDI is the name of the place.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Even when I was a kid ALDI did that. They would charge you a few cents for paper bags. But they were actually very good quality thick paper bags that you could use several times if you didn't get them wet in the rain or tear them or something.

The first and only time I've ever paid for a bag was at a cheap grocery store called Save A Lot. I made an unplanned stop for a few items because it was close.
I didn't know they charged extra for bags until the cashier asked if I wanted a bag.

10 cents in Cali
The California I live in does not have plastic bags at the grocery store. They have canvas reusable bags. Many companies have given out reusable shopping bags for advertisement even Kaiser has given out shopping bags. The new yorker magazine gives them out too! Now as for the cali? you live in who knows.

It's pretty similar throughout this state, more or less.

If I had to pay a .05 I'd be tempted, out of principle, to leave what I couldn't carry in my arms in the bagging area and make the required trips out and back to retrieve all my items, lol.

I buy mine by the thousand online and just keep the box in the back of my car. Occasionally a checkout clerk will refuse to use them so I just take the cart out to the lobby and do my own bagging. Then use their cart to take the bags out to my car and find an interesting place to hide their cart. But they never learn.

10 cents in Cali

No its not similar. I live in N. Cali and they sell the plastic bags pretty much everywhere I can think of. When I last went down to Disneyland the stores I went to didn't offer them at all. I specifically remember because I had to carry about 8 items back to my hotel room because I was too pissed to buy a cloth bag.

Walmart in the bay area (510) 569-0200
Target in the bay area (510) 285-0559

Last edited:
10 cents in Cali
I forgot to be honest. I think the stores or some do good cause I had no issue with.

It's been a year since California banned single-use plastic bags. The world didn't end - Los Angeles Times

The way around that is to simply reuse the new thicker bags. I have the same 5 bags I had since the beginning.

He uses them for everything even picking up after his dog.

10 cents in Cali

Yeah I have several of those bags and I didn't buy any of them. Including a nice Wegmann's bag they gave me for signing up with their discount card, even though there are no Wegmann's around where I live.

10 cents in Cali

No its not similar. I live in N. Cali and they sell the plastic bags pretty much everywhere I can think of. When I last went down to Disneyland the stores I went to didn't offer them at all. I specifically remember because I had to carry about 8 items back to my hotel room because I was too pissed to buy a cloth bag.

Walmart in the bay area (510) 569-0200
Target in the bay area (510) 285-0559

In my small northern California town, bags have been 10 cents at our local, non-chain stores for years. We don't have a Walmart or Target anywhere nearby. My point being, in much of California you have to pay something for a bag.

10 cents in Cali

Do you crap in yours?

No, I have flush toilets. I don't live in a RED State.

Forum List

Back